Thread: JJ Abrams + Star Wars??

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default JJ Abrams + Star Wars??

I know .....who has time to talk things non hockey??? But since I was a main contributor to these type of threads during the lockout.....

How the heck can the same man that directed Star Trek....direct the new Star Wars!?!?!?! Nerdverses will collide like never before!

Administrator

He just seems like the most obvious choice and by obvious I don't mean it in a good way. Is there any way this guy takes any risks at this point? He'll just do whatever it takes to keep his money machine going so he can sign on with more cash cow franchises. This drops the new Star Wars films to mediocre as a ceiling with no guarantee that they'll be good. I'm disappointed to say the least.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    He just seems like the most obvious choice and by obvious I don't mean it in a good way. Is there any way this guy takes any risks at this point? He'll just do whatever it takes to keep his money machine going so he can sign on with more cash cow franchises. This drops the new Star Wars films to mediocre as a ceiling with no guarantee that they'll be good. I'm disappointed to say the least.
    I take it you didn't like the new Star Trek? I mean the two are totally different animals....but I still have to admit he did a really good job with that.

Banned

The JJ Abrams the real?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik View Post
    The JJ Abrams the real?
    Wha???????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Wha???????
    He the real like the James Cameron or he deserve to be humbled old country style?

Dobber Sports Icon

I take it you didn't like the new Star Trek? I mean the two are totally different animals....but I still have to admit he did a really good job with that.
    I really liked the new Star Trek myself - hoping the new one will be good too.

Will have to see how he handles Star Wars - but of course there hasn't been anything good in that vein since 1983...
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Star Trek movie I really enjoyed (and I am a really big Star Trek fan). JJ Abrams will do a good job. It doesn't have to be deep and wonderful, but just entertaining and awesome in a non-Transformers type way. He can do that just fine.

He couldn't possibly do it any worse than Episodes 1/2/3 were already done.

Administrator

No it was good but in the same way that Avengers was good. It basically just did everything it had to do to not suck so like I said the ceiling is mediocrity, which is fine, I'd just as soon see them swing for the fences.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

To me the Starwars universe is just a fun place to go to. If you've read the EU books, like I have, then you know what is possible. To be honest, I'm still holding out for an Admiral Thrawn Trilogy based on Timothy Zahns books.

I like JJs work on Star Trek and I think the new one will be good too. I actually am a much bigger Starwars fan than Star Trek (wife got me into it). He's the reason I even gave Star Trek a chance. I even made a joke about the lens flares for Starwars when I heard the news, but to be honest, the guy loves Starwars more than Star Trek. He's going to do his best and he's a pretty darn good director. MI:3 was fairly decent. Super 8 was such a fun movie and Star Trek is great too. I think with this universe he's going to just have fun and we're going to be along for a fun ride. I'm looking forward to it. If anything, it'll make the Prequels look worse, but I think we will see an awesome new trilogy. I heard Ben Affleck was one of the finalist. I'm hoping he gets the Episode 8 or 9. He's such a good character study director now. Never thought I would say that after he was ing Gigli. The guy has made leaps and strides as a director and thus as an actor. So maybe he'll get the second in the trilogy.

SO all that said, I'm pretty pumped. Oh and JJ is going to not direct anymore Trek films now. He just won't now that he has the big beast he's always wanted.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Immortal

As long as he tones down the lens flare Im ok...

Dobber Sports Wizard

i thought he turned down episode 7 a few weeks ago

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    i thought he turned down episode 7 a few weeks ago
    I believe all it was was an interview after the new movies were announced where he said he didn't think he'd be interested in doing them. I guess things change

Dobber Sports Wizard

i guess they do

i just liked his reasons for not doing it so i hope his reasons for doing it are a bit more noble than teh moneyz

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Abrams.
    I really hope he's doing this movie to prove himself. If he's hip to his critics, he knows that he has major expectations.

Man - this is a big one to take on.
    I think as long as somebody else does the storyline & casting... we'll be OK.