Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Staal or P. Sharp

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Jordan Staal or P. Sharp

In my league in sig, who would you rather have going forward?

Thanks
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Stud

Sharp should be good for 70+ points.

Staal has the potential for 70+ points.

Difference between the two is that Sharp has proven he can do it, while Staal hasn't been able to do so. I'd take Sharp over Staal. Not much else to say, and with the way points are scored in your league I can't see a reason to take Staal over Sharp.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I agree with EsseJ - Sharp should outpoint Staal by 5 or so points, unless the Canes unite the brothers and unleash that line, but I doubt they will as they are both such competent centers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

In your format, definitely Sharp.

Sharp is actually one of the most underrated across-the-board contributors as well. He puts up a good balance of goals/assists, racks up the PPP, is one of the league leaders in SOG, and is generally a solid bet on +/-. He consistently ranks among the top 10 forwards in Yahoo's multi-cat format, and in formats where positions matter he's absolutely golden. He definitely flies under the radar.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    In your format, definitely Sharp.

Sharp is actually one of the most underrated across-the-board contributors as well. He puts up a good balance of goals/assists, racks up the PPP, is one of the league leaders in SOG, and is generally a solid bet on +/-. He consistently ranks among the top 10 forwards in Yahoo's multi-cat format, and in formats where positions matter he's absolutely golden. He definitely flies under the radar.
    I agree. I would also take Sharp over Stall without hesitation. Especially in your format. Sharp has proven himself to be a solid point producer but Staal has yet to hit 60.
    Last edited by letangerang58; January 5, 2013 at 3:29 AM.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

The Wolverine

It hasn't been touched on yet, but if the salaries are not an issue (don't know them) then I'd also go for the most proven - Sharp. Even with missing eight games in each of the past two years, he's averaged 70 points (69, 71 respectively) during those seasons. Sure, Staal has the opportunity to produce in Carolina, but he needs a massive breakout just to match Sharp. Finally, although Staal is a fair bit younger, Sharp is still only 31 and has a few productive seasons to come, so age is not a factor.

Sharp all the way.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is one of those choices that tears at you as a fantasy owner since you so badly want to roll the dice with Staal and see if you hit the jackpot. Sometimes i equate fantasy sports to gambling in terms of the state of mind you enter when doing trades, drafting, etc.

Right decision here is Sharp, hands down. As mentioned by Blayze, Sharp is constantly underrated since he never produces the most tempting commodity in fantasy - hype, what he does give you is the most important assest in fantasy - consistency.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Vancityguy View Post
    This is one of those choices that tears at you as a fantasy owner since you so badly want to roll the dice with Staal and see if you hit the jackpot. Sometimes i equate fantasy sports to gambling in terms of the state of mind you enter when doing trades, drafting, etc.

Right decision here is Sharp, hands down. As mentioned by Blayze, Sharp is constantly underrated since he never produces the most tempting commodity in fantasy - hype, what he does give you is the most important assest in fantasy - consistency.
    I think it's a pretty easy choice going with Sharp over Staal, it's not something that would tear at me. I don't see Staal as ever being a 90+ type of player, so to me Staal hitting the "jackpot" would be around 80 points, obviously really good numbers but not worth picking over Sharp who is a very solid option for 70 points who in his own right could hit around 80 points while being all the more realiable. To me they have similar high end point totals, with one being more proven than the other. I agree with everyone saying that Sharp is a very underrated player.

Jordan Staal is a great player and has the potential for a lot more, but right now I see him as a guy with an extremely "sexy" name. Just his name alone carries huge value, and has the ability to make people question themself.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm one for Sharp as well. He's proven himself to be a very consistent performer.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Genius

Ended up doing the following trade:

Give:

J.Staal
    R. Strome

Get:

P. Sharp
    C. Hodgson

How did I do?
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post

Give:

J.Staal
    R. Strome

Get:

P. Sharp
    C. Hodgson

How did I do?

MMMmm. I agree with choosing Sharp over Staal. However, I prefer the Staal and Strome side.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    MMMmm. I agree with choosing Sharp over Staal. However, I prefer the Staal and Strome side.
    Not me, I think you win this trade. I think people are still leery of Hodgson and I've watched him enough to want him on my team. He'll get hurt here and there, but he's too smart to be held back. I think Hodgson is a sure-fire productive NHL'er, while Strome has the higher upside but less likely to reach it.

I take Sharp EVERYDAY over Staal, based on recent health and proven production. I like J Staal, but he's still "unproven" going into his new situation and has been injured quite a bit. (Sharp was too early in his career but seems to be over that). I'd take Sharp over Staal in any format and Hodgson over Strome in any format.

Nice deal!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Not me, I think you win this trade. I think people are still leery of Hodgson and I've watched him enough to want him on my team. He'll get hurt here and there, but he's too smart to be held back. I think Hodgson is a sure-fire productive NHL'er, while Strome has the higher upside but less likely to reach it.

I take Sharp EVERYDAY over Staal, based on recent health and proven production. I like J Staal, but he's still "unproven" going into his new situation and has been injured quite a bit. (Sharp was too early in his career but seems to be over that). I'd take Sharp over Staal in any format and Hodgson over Strome in any format.

Nice deal!
    I agree. I think Sharp > Staal and Hodgson > Strome (for now).
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like the trade overall for you and think you won aquiring Sharp, Cody for Strome is too tough to call right now and I consider a wash.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by CHunter View Post

Give:

J.Staal
    R. Strome

Get:

P. Sharp
    C. Hodgson

How did I do?
    Great deal for you. Sharp is an upgrade on Staal to say the least. With Strome he would have been eating up a valuable roster spot collecting dust. Hodgson will be able to come on the cheap for a season and should be able to go north of 45 points.

You want to win now and this deal helps with that much more than Staal and Strome ever good, and another plus is that Sharp and Hodgson have a lot of good years to give as well, on top of being further ahead in point production at this current time.