Thread: Keeper league ethics help

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Keeper league ethics help

10 team keeper league where we keep 14 players, including max 1 DEF.

I finished 2nd last this year, thanks to inheriting an abysmal team two seasons ago. Anyway, the 49ers defense was dropped last week ahead of the New England matchup by a playoff team. I still have the opportunity to drop and pick up players off waivers, and my defenses (DET, CAR, ATL) aren't really keeper worthy as it stands. So it would seem picking up SF off waivers would be a wise move.

Now, how big of a dick move is it for a team not in the playoffs to pick up a potential keeper at this stage, possibly preventing a playoff team from doing the same for the championship game or consolation final, both of which have monetary implications? I think it's unlikely, since they're on the road in Seattle, but still, it's a top-5 defense.
    16 team league, keep 12 plus *4 1st/2nd year players (16 total)
    Points Only (w/ NHL salaries), start 8F/4D/1G
    Note: Defencemen receive 1 point per 45 mins of ice time (1-2 points per week, ~30-35 pts per season).

Forwards:
    L. Couture, F. Forsberg, T. Teravainen, O. Palat, C. Kreider, K. Hayes, *J. Guentzel, R. Rakell, *K. Labanc, B. Point, *C. Fischer
    Defense:
    *S. Theodore, S. Gostisbehere, *M. Matheson, J. Trouba
    Goalie:
    M. Murray

Dobber Sports Deity

As it's a keeper league, I would do it. If it improves your team next year I wouldn't think twice. Jump on that waiver and make it happen. My team when I took it over after week 10 was still winless. I knew I wasn't going to make the playoffs, but that didn't stop me from picking up key pieces off the waiver wire each week to improve my chances of winning. No one in my league said squat to me about it.

If anyone says anything about it being a dick move, tell them you are doing what you can to improve your team. If people can't understand that, it's simply because they are upset that they didn't get them for themselves.

For the record, my final 6 weeks, I went 3-3.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Spleentastic View Post
    10 team keeper league where we keep 14 players, including max 1 DEF.

I finished 2nd last this year, thanks to inheriting an abysmal team two seasons ago. Anyway, the 49ers defense was dropped last week ahead of the New England matchup by a playoff team. I still have the opportunity to drop and pick up players off waivers, and my defenses (DET, CAR, ATL) aren't really keeper worthy as it stands. So it would seem picking up SF off waivers would be a wise move.

Now, how big of a dick move is it for a team not in the playoffs to pick up a potential keeper at this stage, possibly preventing a playoff team from doing the same for the championship game or consolation final, both of which have monetary implications? I think it's unlikely, since they're on the road in Seattle, but still, it's a top-5 defense.
    If your league has concerns about this then there should be a rule in place. Personally, I would make the move, gauge the reaction from your league and if there is enough outrage suggest a well worded rule change that prevents teams out of the action from making moves.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

You're doing nothing wrong, bud. It'd be different if you knew that you wouldn't keep that acquisition no matter what and you were just doing to to block a contender.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ninja

Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve your keepers. Anyone who complains should be kicked in the balls. Where were they all season?

If you were only making the pick up to prevent another team from picking them up, then that might be an ethical question.

You are good to go my man!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Wolverine

I see nothing wrong with this move as it's entirely to do with improving your squad. Unless there are rules in place to prevent such moves (which I would disagree with), then it's fair game. It's a keeper league, so why should someone who's looking for the future be prevented from improving their team just because they are no longer in the playoffs? Furthermore, perhaps there may be other managers looking to pick them up as well.

Dobber Sports Genius

Always do what you can to improve your team, especially in a keeper league
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Agree w/others.
    Nothing wrong with grabbing that SF defense in a keeper league where you keep a DEF.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Anyone who complains should be kicked in the balls.
    lmao...could not have said it any better.
    @SmittysRant

Administrator

My personal rule is to add/drop as you please as long as it serves your team either now or in the future. If someone dropped V. Stalberg to pick up Jody Shelley in a points-only hockey league, that to me is tanking and the equivalent of collusion. But if the move makes your franchise better, go for it.

With that said you should always play your best available lineup every week.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There should be a rule in place to have the rosters of non-playoff teams locked through the end of the playoffs, but if there is no such rule then you are well within your rights to make a move.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to improve your keepers. Anyone who complains should be kicked in the balls. Where were they all season?

If you were only making the pick up to prevent another team from picking them up, then that might be an ethical question.

You are good to go my man!
    Post is bang on.

If adding a player or players makes your team better, than you absolutely go for it.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    There should be a rule in place to have the rosters of non-playoff teams locked through the end of the playoffs, but if there is no such rule then you are well within your rights to make a move.
    Not sure I agree with that first point, especially if the provider shuts down after the season. If it's a keeper league, teams should have the right to make changes at any time during the season, regardless of whether they're in the playoffs or not. Playoff teams take on the risk when going for the title.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Not sure I agree with that first point, especially if the provider shuts down after the season. If it's a keeper league, teams should have the right to make changes at any time during the season, regardless of whether they're in the playoffs or not. Playoff teams take on the risk when going for the title.
    I assumed it was a keeper/dynasty league. I run all my leagues as close to real NFL rules as possible. The NFL doesn't allow roster moves during the playoffs so we mirror that. You build your team during the season and roll through the playoffs with the guys that got you there.

I certainly have no problem with allowing all teams to be able to make moves, but there should be a league constitution that explicitly states what the rule is.

If it's just a random pub league then who cares? Do whatever the software allows.