Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to give the fans a voice!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default how to give the fans a voice!

Attention all Fans: we need to be heard when this is all over I suggested at the opening puck drop of the each teams home opener we all rise and Boo for the first 5 min of the game. this would be loud and clear message that Collectively we are mad at both the players and owners. lets face it I love the game I just am really pissed at the people involved in it right now.

what do you think? bet we could with twitter and social media get some sort of thing out there?

The players and owner need to remember who's dollar they are fighting over...

send it out to all your friends

Thanks from Oilers rock 99

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

You don't remind millionaires and billionaires about whose dollar they are fighting over by booing. You remind them about it by not giving them your money. Booing does nothing.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

It would also never happen. The moment a favourite player hits the pics, or a quick goal is scored, the fans will stop booing.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Pro

In my opinion, a mass action my fans would be absolutely impossible. As much as I'd like to see it, the healthy teams will still make enough money for the team to be profitable.

If we, as fans, were truly uninterested in hockey and were not going to watch/follow once it resumed, we would not be on a fantasy hockey site. My absolute favorite is when someone chimes in on a lockout related thread and says something like "totally not interested". Really? Do you always read threads that you are not interested in?
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Administrator

1) Insignificant
    2) Won't happen

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    1) Insignificant
    2) Won't happen
    actually I belive that it would be significant its the only realistic way to get everyone to participate in and it is very visiable if it happened it would be on the news everywhere. it would be a lead sports story forsure and if i was a sponsor it would send a clear message and you can bet a couple of phone calls to the NHL.

look I have no intrest in further damaging the game I just feel both sides should take notice and this would accomplish just that

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers rock 99 View Post
    actually I belive that it would be significant its the only realistic way to get everyone to participate in and it is very visiable if it happened it would be on the news everywhere. it would be a lead sports story forsure and if i was a sponsor it would send a clear message and you can bet a couple of phone calls to the NHL.

look I have no intrest in further damaging the game I just feel both sides should take notice and this would accomplish just that
    It's not realistic at all. You're looking to get about 20,000 fans at 30 cities (many who don't read online stuff) to do a common goal. That's about 600,000 people spread across North America. You have no way to reach all those people, much less get them all to participate.

And as I mentioned earlier, I can't see fans booing for five minutes straight. Think Sens fans will boo alfie? Or Flames fans booing Piggy? Or Wild fans booing Parise and Suter? Not going to happen.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    It's not realistic at all. You're looking to get about 20,000 fans at 30 cities (many who don't read online stuff) to do a common goal. That's about 600,000 people spread across North America. You have no way to reach all those people, much less get them all to participate.

And as I mentioned earlier, I can't see fans booing for five minutes straight. Think Sens fans will boo alfie? Or Flames fans booing Piggy? Or Wild fans booing Parise and Suter? Not going to happen.

with social media the message can get out and your not Booing Alfie or Iggy or Crosby you booing the process and disgusting greed and arrogance of both sides.

everyone has a voice and the media as they always do would blow this way up.

Administrator

with social media the message can get out and your not Booing Alfie or Iggy or Crosby you booing the process and disgusting greed and arrogance of both sides.

It is insignificant because it does nothing. The fans in the arenas have paid their fee and supported next season's revenue pie. So what does it actually accomplish? Sure, people can boo. It will be forgotten within a week.

Hockey is not a religion or a cult. It's a form of entertainment. If you want to send a message then start following the NFL exclusively. Don't buy NHL Center Ice. Move on to another hobby.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Honestly they'd just be laughing because you all paid to get in.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Honestly they'd just be laughing because you all paid to get in.
    Yeah exactly. And hockey would be all over ESPN so they can make fun of the situation again. It would be a story on TSN for a few nights and on Coach's Corner that weekend, and then everyone will move on to the next thing that grabs their attention.

Dobber Sports Sage

Talk is cheap. Make your statement by not going to the games and not buying merchandise. Organize hundreds and thousands of people in every city that pledge not to spend money on the NHL. Show the owners that their actions have shrunk the pie. That is the only message that owners will listen to.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Talk is cheap. Make your statement by not going to the games and not buying merchandise. Organize hundreds and thousands of people in every city that pledge not to spend money on the NHL. Show the owners that their actions have shrunk the pie. That is the only message that owners will listen to.
    The problem with using social media is that people have zero attention span. One minute they're retweeting pledges to never support the NHL again, then they're tracking a twitter war between two celebrities, then they post saying they switched cereal brand, then they get annoyed by friends posting play-by-play of a breakup online. If someone follows thousands of accounts, what are the odds of the message getting to them and will they remember 10 minutes afterwards?

That is why I say the choice will ultimately be an individual one. No doubt the NHL has hurt itself in the past few months. But there won't be any organized public hangings once the NHL returns.

Dobber Sports Guru

You are overestimating social media. Not everyone is on Twitter, or visits Facebook non-stop, or have a Google-plus account. In my immediate family in Ottawa, out of 12 people, five don't have a Facebook account, another four have it and don't use it, and I'm the only one with a Twitter account (and I barely use that).

Even if you got enough attention for it (which you won't), would fans continue to boo during a goal? A breakaway? A fight? A great save by the home team goalie on a 2-on-1? It wouldn't last past the opening face off.

Remember, the people who are going to the game don't want to spend $100 to make a statement. They want to enjoy hockey. The moment their favourite player steps on the ice, or a great play happens, everyone will be happy. They paid money to see that. They missed it during the lockout. But the lockout is over at that point if there is a game going on, so why make a statement then?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    I agree with this.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."