Thread: Ben Tate

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ben Tate

How do you see the guy doing this year? I know he's always injured but I always had a feeling he could break out at some point. His situation is OK right now, but T.West can steal some carries. Everybody seems to place him in the 15-20 range among RB's. What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Ben Tate

I think that's the price range I'd be buying him at. Should be a RB2 in fantasy this year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think he should be drafted as a RB2/RB3.. GM's will reach for him I think though!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I think he should be drafted as a RB2/RB3.. GM's will reach for him I think though!!
    Agreed. Not to knock Tate, but we fantasy GMs tend to overvalue a former backup RB - successful though he may be - who is then traded to a new team as their #1 RB. I would draft Tate as my RB3 with upside as RB2, in re-draft leagues. That said, you'd have just as much value w/T-West as a RB2/3 in re-draft leagues....and if Tate gets hurt (which he will) T-West is skilled enough to be the Browns bell cow RB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    and if Tate gets hurt (which he will) T-West is skilled enough to be the Browns bell cow RB.
    I definitely agree with you on this one Bomm!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Novice

I own Tate in a keeper league and am worried he'll get injured and then passed by West or Crowell. Purely based on talent (ignoring injury history), how do these 3 compare?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    I own Tate in a keeper league and am worried he'll get injured and then passed by West or Crowell. Purely based on talent (ignoring injury history), how do these 3 compare?

If you're concerned about Tate getting injured, see what happens during the preseason and handcuff him. Early reports are that West is going to see some action this year so he's probably your best bet.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    If you're concerned about Tate getting injured, see what happens during the preseason and handcuff him. Early reports are that West is going to see some action this year so he's probably your best bet.
    Yeah, depends how the draft lottery works out. If I have a top 3 pick, I'm taking Watkins, Evans or Sankey, but might take West after those guys. I know a guy that will be taking him in the late first, so I'd have to take him early first if I want him. A little worried that Shanahan will pull something weird and Crowell ends up starting out of nowhere.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    Yeah, depends how the draft lottery works out. If I have a top 3 pick, I'm taking Watkins, Evans or Sankey, but might take West after those guys. I know a guy that will be taking him in the late first, so I'd have to take him early first if I want him. A little worried that Shanahan will pull something weird and Crowell ends up starting out of nowhere.
    Crowell's got the talent to steal the job, that's for sure. BUT, I actually think that the Josh Gordon thing (not mention Manziel's inability to keep himself out of the "look at me" non-football, off-season limelight) might put a dent in the amount of opportunity that Crowell gets in the near term. Pure speculation on my part, but I'd think that the Browns will be leery of relying on Crowell too much until he proves to team brass that he's not a knucklehead notwithstanding his well-documented problems in college. There's only so much (blind) trust one team can put in young talented players with a penchant for behavioral issues.

So with that said, I think West is the handcuff to Tate and Crowell is pretty firmly #3 at best for the foreseeable future, likely to be available or tossed back on the waiver wire a few weeks into the season (at least in seasonal and smaller keepers/dynasties -- good inexpensive, high-upside stash for the long term if you have the space though).
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

T West is serious competition to Tate's job, healthy or not. I'd avoid Tate in redraft leagues for any thing other than a depth #3RB. If you own him in a dyno league, draft West.
    @SmittysRant