Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Okposo

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Kyle Okposo

Just thought I'd start a thread to get people's general thoughts on Kyle Okposo as the new season (hopefully) rolls around. I've been giving some thought into how to value Okposo going into this season, and I've kind of been back and forth.

Positives
    - Played a decent amount of time ES with Tavares and Moulson and was pretty good while he was there. Not just referring to the numbers, but I remember watching a handful of games that Okposo played on that line and the three of them looked great.
    - PA Parenteau is gone, who typically took a decent amount of time on JT's wing in the past.

Negatives
    - Been waiting on a big breakout from this guy for a couple of seasons now and typically we've been left wanting more.
    - Brad Boyes looks like he could step into the role of filling in that #1 RW spot at ES, which would significantly impact Okposo's chances IMO.
    For now, it appears Boyes -- who turned 30 in April -- will be penciled in to replace Parenteau on New York's top line alongside John Tavares -- one of the game's evolving superstars -- and Matt Moulson, who reached the 30-goal plateau for a third straight season in 2011-12. Indeed, it's a golden opportunity for Boyes to regain that scoring touch he had with the Blues.
    http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=640423

What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Star

You pretty much nailed it.

I would expect to see 30-30 if he sees top line duty. I really don't get the Boyes signing - it seemed clear that this was to be KO's time to step up and am not sure what message this sends to him.

Likely, he will split time between 1st and 2nd line and come in around 55 points, with 25 goals.

Breakout potential is there though
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Banned

i keep reading that boyes is the favorite to be on the number one line with JT too. thing is, i really don't see him as a top line player. not even close. that said, i also don't see okposo as a top line player either. or moulson, or bailey, or.... wait a minute, the islanders don't have any top line wingers so who knows what is going to happen. obviously, okposo's (and every other islander winger's) value hinges a lot on whether he gets to play with JT. At this point it is too hard to say. buy low and you could get lucky. don't buy high cause you could get burned...

Banned

only thing to consider is that nielsen, bailey and okposo were the islanders best line down the stretch and the three will likely start the season together to see if the chemistry can be rekindled...

Dobber Sports Genius

I can't believe that you started a thread on an Islander's player whose initials aren't JT. Good write up though....
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    only thing to consider is that nielsen, bailey and okposo were the islanders best line down the stretch and the three will likely start the season together to see if the chemistry can be rekindled...
    This was exactly true. Okposo and that line were very good then.

Another thing to consider is if Strome has a good camp he could find himself as the #2 Center.

Administrator

Boyes could start the season on the top line but will not stay there. He'll work his way down the depth chart yet again. The top spot is Okposo's to lose.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

It blows me away that Boyes would be getting talked about in a 1st line role. I just don't see it happening, his days of relevance are far behind.....
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think it's easy to forget that Okposo got hit with that injury which significantly slowed his development - figure this is the year he either makes it or slides into mediocrity. Generally I think he is undervalued on the fantasy market so it's keep him and hope he makes it or trade him for what you can get and hope he doesn't. I'm going to ride him deep into this season and see - may be a bench warmer for me but hope he isn't.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I think it's easy to forget that Okposo got hit with that injury which significantly slowed his development - figure this is the year he either makes it or slides into mediocrity. Generally I think he is undervalued on the fantasy market so it's keep him and hope he makes it or trade him for what you can get and hope he doesn't. I'm going to ride him deep into this season and see - may be a bench warmer for me but hope he isn't.
    Add this sentiment to my original post also. Injuries certainly have played a part.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Legend

Gees Bondon, Okposo is a tough nut to crack. I'm really starting to lose faith in the Islanders top prospects not named TAVARES - the clock is ticking on the list of "any year now" chips like Okposo, de Haan, Bailey, Niederreiter, etc. That said, Okposo is the one I like the best of the bunch, because of his hard-nosed style, but I would rather hedge my bets elsewhere if I had the option. The way I see it, his potential for this year is all over the place - he could be a 16G/20A guy or a 26G/32A guy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Gees Bondon, Okposo is a tough nut to crack. I'm really starting to lose faith in the Islanders top prospects not named TAVARES - the clock is ticking on the list of "any year now" chips like Okposo, de Haan, Bailey, Niederreiter, etc. That said, Okposo is the one I like the best of the bunch, because of his hard-nosed style, but I would rather hedge my bets elsewhere if I had the option. The way I see it, his potential for this year is all over the place - he could be a 16G/20A guy or a 26G/32A guy.
    Very good post. It's tricky because he has the skill to do the latter but appears intent on the former. All the tools but no toolbox eh?
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    All the tools but no toolbox eh?
    I don't think it's a toolbox thing with Okposo or the rest of the players there - I think it has to do more with handling, player development and culture. They say a winning culture breeds success and the Isles culture has just been very bizarre and poor. From an unorthodox owner like Wang who is all over the place to Mike Milbury to Garth Snow, to the arena issues and revolving door of coaches, down to the Yashin & DiPietro contracts and massive injuries - the Isles franchise is just a mess overall. Tavares has been a much needed gem but the Isles are just one of those teams who forever seem to be stuck in limbo.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I don't think it's a toolbox thing with Okposo or the rest of the players there - I think it has to do more with handling, player development and culture. They say a winning culture breeds success and the Isles culture has just been very bizarre and poor. From an unorthodox owner like Wang who is all over the place to Mike Milbury to Garth Snow, to the arena issues and revolving door of coaches, down to the Yashin & DiPietro contracts and massive injuries - the Isles franchise is just a mess overall. Tavares has been a much needed gem but the Isles are just one of those teams who forever seem to be stuck in limbo.
    I do agree. However I also think Okposo's hockey IQ is/has appeared a bit lackluster compared to the rest of his skillset. It's likely more noticeable by comparison since J.T.'s is/was quite good for a young guy.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Ace

Okposo has certainly progressed slower than we've all thought he would, but maybe that's because he's nothing more than a decent 2nd line forward. Or maybe he's just waiting to put it all together and blow up alongside Tavares this coming season.

That being said, I have a hard time thinking the Islanders won't at least try Boyes with Tavares for the first bit of the year. As said by a few above, Okposo had decent chemistry with the 2nd-line guys, and the Isles may want to keep them together. And Boyes - despite falling off a cliff - has shown in the past that he can score....certainly his pedigree is no worse right now than Parenteau's was a couple years ago. And that worked out okay for PA.