Thread: Drop Green for Phaneuf?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Drop Green for Phaneuf?

I could use the PIMs if Phaneuf ever picks it up. Would you consider this, or is the potential that the Caps' power play revives and Green starts getting pts/sog/ppp too great?
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Ninja

Neither are doing great right now, but I'd stick to Green.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Green vs. Phaneuf I'm taking Green every time.

I'd drop Khudobin for Phaneuf though just to see if he can get any boost in value...and then flip him or trade another one of your D. Don't see much utility for Khudobin in a 2 goalie start weekly league when you already have Backstrom Anderson and Dubnyk.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Green vs. Phaneuf I'm taking Green every time.

I'd drop Khudobin for Phaneuf though just to see if he can get any boost in value...and then flip him or trade another one of your D. Don't see much utility for Khudobin in a 2 goalie start weekly league when you already have Backstrom Anderson and Dubnyk.
    Agree with this. Khudobin has talent but Phaneuf is a far better fantasy asset. I'm surprised at how underrated Phaneuf is in multi-cat leagues. He is one of the best.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks guys.

The Khudobin advice is perfect for this year, but my team is looking pretty weak and I'm considering going for a rebuild. Khudobin was a 20th round pick, so on the long shot something happens to Rask or Khudobin shows flashes of brilliance, he will have good keeper value. This value is directly tied to how late the player was drafted, plus most of the other GMs like to keep goalies, so this could (a very long shot, I know) bring a lot back in a trade.Neither Green nor Phaneuf has any keeper value unless Green were to approach his form from a few years ago, which I think is just as long of a shot as Khudobin looking attractive for the end of this year or for next year.

The keeper issue is also why I'm not considering dropping Faulk or Schultz. I can keep four, and I'm hoping at least two of those will come from those two plus Granlund and Huberdeau. Probably at least one of Elias and Dubnyk, who were 17th and 20th round picks, respectively. If I need a fourth I'm hoping to trade non-keeper studs to contending teams down the stretch (eg Crosby), and I'm sure I can net someone excellent plus some draft pick upgrades.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't drop Green for Phaneuf. But I would drop Faulk, and as high as I am on Faulk, Phaneuf is just a better option at this time. And I know you want to keep Khudobin, but I would let go of him first and foremost in favour of Phaneuf.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks!

If I pick Faulk as one of my four, I can draft him in a round this year GMs were drafting Roman Josi and Slava Voynov. I think he's an excellent bet to be a lot more valuable than that caliber of player, so I am loathe to drop him. I do realize I'm being a bit stubborn about Khudobin, though.

I'll see if Phaneuf clears waivers; I have last priority so it wouldn't make a difference if I put in a claim now anyway. If so I'll have to do some soul searching as to whether I want to take my long shot bet off the table for a better odds but much lower payoff one. Neuvirth has also been dropped now, so even if I wanted to take a chance on a goalie that might be a better risk.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Green's actually having a not bad season even with this WSH debacle that's happening... It's been a few years but he's logging a ton of ice time and quietly producing under Oates.
    Hellfish Hockey League
    www.Hellfishhockey.ca

In The Crease
    www.inthecrease.ca

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm not sure I fully understand the concerns re: keepers and Faulk/Khudobin, but both of those guys seem like cuts before Green, and I would certainly take Phaneuf over both of them.

Khudobin is a real reach, and I feel like there are a ton of goaltenders that surface every year that could emerge if you're quick to grab them from the FA pool.

Dobber Sports Icon

With Rask in front of him K'dobins value is not that high, and I would drop him in a heartbeat for Phanuef. Rask is young and is unlikey to be de-throned.