Thread: What's your take on Ryan O'Reilly?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default What's your take on Ryan O'Reilly?

will he be back this season? will Avs sign him or trade him away? what do you think? Any chances he will play soon?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As an Avs fan whos had the miserable fortune of reading way too much about this situation, Ive come to the conclusion he won't play for the Avs this season or ever, and if he does it won't be for long. Avs have a history of dealing people who argue with them over money.

Radar was my favourite player, but what he's asking for right now and how he's acting is absurd and childish. He wants five million a season after one season of 50+ points. Now no doubt his game is all about defense, as he had the most takeaways of anyone last season, one of the reasons why it was fun to watch him. But with the Avs giving Jones four million a season, and that god awful Stastny contract, I can see why he thinks hes worth more. Whats hurting him is Duchenes last contract, which was 2 years at 3.5 each year. In my view he should take the bridge contract and prove he's worth the five million a year. That way the Avs can give it to him without ****ing up like they did with Stastny.

Avs have said they aren't dealing him, and if they do they won't get a good deal as the team would still run the risk of not being able to sign him.

For someone who is such a rink rat, and grew up in a foster home and his dad is a life coach, he sure is acting like a moron.
    I know its business and I'm holding out hope this is all his manager making decisions for him, but for someone who is leaving his teammates out to dry while they suffer (did you watch them the last few games? Dreadful) I've just lost a lot of respect for him.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for your opinion 9601.

I havent seen much of Avs this season, but results speak for themselves.

I follow Daters blog and as I look at comments below articles there are many "Avs management sucks" talk, simply because of former Avs players who were traded to other teams and seemed to be happier than in Colorado

Pretty confusing...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    As an Avs fan whos had the miserable fortune of reading way too much about this situation, Ive come to the conclusion he won't play for the Avs this season or ever, and if he does it won't be for long. Avs have a history of dealing people who argue with them over money.

Radar was my favourite player, but what he's asking for right now and how he's acting is absurd and childish. He wants five million a season after one season of 50+ points. Now no doubt his game is all about defense, as he had the most takeaways of anyone last season, one of the reasons why it was fun to watch him. But with the Avs giving Jones four million a season, and that god awful Stastny contract, I can see why he thinks hes worth more. Whats hurting him is Duchenes last contract, which was 2 years at 3.5 each year. In my view he should take the bridge contract and prove he's worth the five million a year. That way the Avs can give it to him without ****ing up like they did with Stastny.

Avs have said they aren't dealing him, and if they do they won't get a good deal as the team would still run the risk of not being able to sign him.

For someone who is such a rink rat, and grew up in a foster home and his dad is a life coach, he sure is acting like a moron.
    I know its business and I'm holding out hope this is all his manager making decisions for him, but for someone who is leaving his teammates out to dry while they suffer (did you watch them the last few games? Dreadful) I've just lost a lot of respect for him.
    I'm not an Avs fan, but I have a contrary opinion. The more Colorado is losing the more they approach his 5M number, even if they're not going to give him 5 years. Also the probability of an offer sheet goes up, though I don't know if he's going to make a significant-enough impact this season to make it worth it in a roto league. In a H2H it might be worth a flier if you're set for now and have relatively deep benches.

Anyway, off-topic but I don't understand all the hate for him in Denver... people perceive him to be greedy? Stop complaining... the longer this waits out the more likely he's going to get a offer sheet from another team. Even at his requested 5M he's still getting paid less than some of the less stellar Avs.
    12 Team Keeper Yahoo! Points League

Keep 8 (max 1 goalie)

3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G
    Bench: 6 + 2 IR

G(3), A(2), +/- (1), PIM (0.5), PPP (1), SHP (2), SOG (0.5), FOW (0.05), HIT (0.25), BLK (0.25)

W (5.5), L (-2.5), GA (-1), SA (0.2), SHO (5)

Weekly Roster

C: Giroux/Ott/Stastny
    LW: Steen/Hartnell/Prust
    RW: Lupul/Callahan/Simmonds
    D: Karlsson/Letang/Burns/Green/Bieksa/Beauchemin/Goligoski
    G: Quick/Ward/Bishop/Khudobin
    Bench: Martin/Hornqvist/Ray Whitney/Backlund

Dobber Sports Deity

I am not a big Avs fan, and dont really follow them at all but IMO, I cant see them giving him 5M per season. While he is an important piece of the overall puzzle for the Av's, he isnt the main piece and theres no way they pay him that way.

If Duchene got 3.5M off his ELC, I just dont see the Av's paying O'Reilly much more then that coming off his. Both are key pieces going forward for the Av's but I cant see them giving O'Reilly an additional 1.5M per season over Duchene.

Until one of the sides softens their stance (or an offer sheet from another team comes in), I dont see this one getting done anytime soon. Be prepared to watch him sit the entire shortened season. The Av's sure seem to be.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."