Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do I pick up Shattenkirk?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Do I pick up Shattenkirk?

Hey folks, infrequent poster here, but I always appreciate the help.

I have an opportunity to acquire Kevin Shattenkirk for nearly nothing, but I'm wondering if he's an upgrade over anyone on my current roster. I have to drop one of: Fowler, Yandle, Goligoski, or Campbell in order to fit him in.

League tracks: G,A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, H, S, BLK, and gives a negative .5 point for each PIM.

Is Shattenkirk an upgrade here?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy1982 View Post

I have an opportunity to acquire Kevin Shattenkirk for nearly nothing, but I'm wondering if he's an upgrade over anyone on my current roster. I have to drop one of: Fowler, Yandle, Goligoski, or Campbell in order to fit him in.

League tracks: G,A, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, H, S, BLK, and gives a negative .5 point for each PIM.

Considering it's a keeper league, I'd drop Campbell and grab Shattenkirk in a hurry.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yes dropping Campbell for Shattenkirk for sure
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Gosh... in a league counting H (Hits?) & BkS... you've got some light-weight defensemen. None of these guys do the rough stuff.

I'd definitely grab Shattenkirk.

I'd cut Campbell or... wait for it... Fowler {gasp}.

I know we all saw Fowler's 40pt rookie year as very nice... and things only to get better, but this Anaheim team might be losing Perry & Getzlaf in the summer. There's not much offense there... it could be a very bad team. Fowler doesn't rack up much in the way of peripherals and there's no fantasy bonus for being a good D on a bad team. Florida seems to have a little more up & coming than does Anaheim.

ps. Welcome (back) to the forums for your post #2!

Dobber Sports Genius

Well hello Christmas; Shatty for next to nothing! My ears are all in a flutter! In a win now mode, I'd drop Goli for Shats and keep the assist machine Campbell. If in re-build mode, I'd drop Campbell for Shatty easily. But it would be nice to sell off Campbell for some assests if possible.

Shats, Fowler, and Yandle would be a great top 3 to build on.

welcome to the boards!
    COD
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Considering it's a keeper league, I'd drop Campbell and grab Shattenkirk in a hurry.
    I dunno. Campbell put up HUGE numbers last year (points and PPP). The guy finished 2nd in the league among D for points and had the most PPP! The fact that Shattenkirk is unowned makes me think it's not a realy deep league as well. How on earth is he unowned?

Shattenkirk would be an improvement in +/-, but he gets more PIM.
    More than anything, I'd be looking to deal Campbell before grabbing Shattenkirk. Both should be owned in just about any league.

Is there a mediocre forward you could drop instead? You can always deal a D when the season gets rolling.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

The Wolverine

Since you mention point values for PIM, is this a points league where all the categories have a specific value, a weighted roto league, a H2H points league, etc? This could be significant in making a decision as assumptions are being made on the value of multiple category players. For example, if hits and blocks aren't weighted as highly as more offensive categories, then it may not be as important to roster stronger multiple category contributors.

How many do you keep? You should probably list your entire roster by position and number of starters. Also, you mention you have to drop one of those D - is that a rule?

Furthermore, you say you can acquire him for 'nearly nothing.' Is this just via a pickup or trade?

And just to note, as it was mentioned in a response, that Campbell is only 32 so I wouldn't use age as a reason to part with him just yet, as he should have plenty of productive seasons ahead, depending on how you value him. But of course the question above about your categories and whether they are weighted could have an effect on your decision.

The more details you provide, the better advice you will receive. Perhaps create a signature with all your league and roster details? Top bar > USER CP > Edit Signature (on left).

Welcome (back) to the forum.
    Last edited by horrorfan; December 28, 2012 at 3:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The lack of "rough" defencemen is due to the penalty for accruing PIM in any real sense. Lots of hits tends to end up negated by a similarnumber of PIM in this league, which has made Campbell an absolute stud for me, as he racks up the points with little to no PIM drawback. (For clarification, Hits are worth .05 BlK are .1 and PIM are -.05 not -.5 as I erroneously stated earlier).

As to the age of my team, I have exactly one player over the age of 30, and he's my backup goalie (Niemi), otherwise I've been loading up on prospects, and through a firesale of veterans I've managed to pick up some great young talent in RNH, Galchenyuk, Granlund, Tarasenko, and Yakupov, to complement a solid core of guys either in, or just hitting their prime (Benn, Parise, Toews).

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Gosh... in a league counting H (Hits?) & BkS... you've got some light-weight defensemen. None of these guys do the rough stuff.

I'd definitely grab Shattenkirk.

I'd cut Campbell or... wait for it... Fowler {gasp}.

I know we all saw Fowler's 40pt rookie year as very nice... and things only to get better, but this Anaheim team might be losing Perry & Getzlaf in the summer. There's not much offense there... it could be a very bad team. Fowler doesn't rack up much in the way of peripherals and there's no fantasy bonus for being a good D on a bad team. Florida seems to have a little more up & coming than does Anaheim.

ps. Welcome (back) to the forums for your post #2!

Dobber Sports Sage

Shattenkirk is a stud period...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Try to trade Fowler first. If you're unsuccessful at that, simply drop him. Your D improves immensely with this move.

Quite frankly, I would be surprised if you can't find a team to take him. See if you can address another need on your team. He still has lots of potential, just needs time to develop at the NHL level.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Administrator

I agree with Fowler being the odd man out. Campbell is just too good in this format. Try to trade Fowler but don't sit too long on this and ultimately lose out on Shattenkirk.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Who are your forwards? Do you have any forwards that you can drop instead of a dman?

Your Defense has some good value and you could probably get some value out of trading them. I'd advise you to try and trade someone off your roster to make room for Shattenkirk, but in trying to do that someone else will probably grab Shattenkirk before you can get a deal done.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Go man go! Make some roster room and get him!

I think if you could drop a low-end forward you might come out on the plus side....who are your forwards?

If I HAD to drop someone, I think I'd drop Fowler...as a previous poster said, Campbell is only 32 and still has a bunch of good years left...and as you said, is a stud in your format.

How are you acquiring Shatts? is it via trade? What are you giving up?

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov

Dobber Sports Veteran

Did what a previous poster recommended, and put my full team in my Signature, along with the points breakdown for the league.
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd be picking up Shattenkirk off the waiver wire, but this league only allows one free agent pickup per year, so it would be burning my only pickup. I feel like I have to do it, but I'm not sure exactly where to make the room...
    18 Team Full Keeper. Total points.

Start 10 F, 3 D, 1 UTIL, 1 G

3 Points: SHO, 2 Points: G, PPA, SHG, SHA, W, 1 Point: A, PPG, GWG, .25 Points: BLK, .1 Points: FOW, SOG, SV, .15 Points: HIT, -.05 Points: FOL, -.15 Points: GA

Forwards: Backstrom, Barre-Boulet, Beauvillier, Caufield, Dickinson, Donato, Donskoi, Gourde, Greenway, Horvat, Kase, Keller, Kuznetsov, MacKinnon, Marchessault, J. T. Miller, Sikura, Tarasenko, Zegras

Defense: Barrie, Brannstrom, Cholowski, Honka, Matheson, Pulock, Shattenkirk

Goal: Dubnyk, Jarry, Markstrom, Merzlikins

2014-15, 2016-17 MHL Champions!