Thread: Zetterberg for St Louis

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Zetterberg for St Louis

On the table is my Zetterberg & Ellis for St Louis & Telegin. It's weekly H2H 20 team multi cat keeper league with an 80 mill salary cap.

I'm in a win now situation with Crosby, Zetterberg, Perry, Lucic, Iginla, Jagr, Elias, Kunitz, etc..... My average age is mid 30's. RW is a scarce position these days. It's understandable that he wants a little bit more in exchange for Zetts.....BUT it is a keeper & St Louis cats aren't as strong as Zetterberg's...... Plus the 5 year age difference.

Do you make this trade? Especially with the Ellis for Telegin swing?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Are we talking Ryan or Dan Ellis?
    Either way I'd keep Zetts, production is similar and he is younger. In my experience its very difficult to trade older players in a keeper. If you really want to move Zetts then target someone younger like Grabner or Atkinson perhaps

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Rajiabu View Post
    Are we talking Ryan or Dan Ellis?
    Either way I'd keep Zetts, production is similar and he is younger. In my experience its very difficult to trade older players in a keeper. If you really want to move Zetts then target someone younger like Grabner or Atkinson perhaps
    It's Ryan Ellis...... And yeah....... I'd rather hold into Zetts than move him for a younger guy with a weaker skill set. I'm not desperate to move him, but would rather have another right winger to replace Jagr.

2-4 years of PPG from St Louis still seems attractive as my team is built for a 5 year window.

So far I've tried Zetts for Sharp ..... No go
    Even Zetts for Pavelski ...... No go

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like St. Louis a lot. But Ellis for Telegin. Is there a better option?
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
    I like St. Louis a lot. But Ellis for Telegin. Is there a better option?
    My final move would be Zetterberg for St Louis straight up..... And yeah...... Not too keen with adding Ellis to this deal

Dobber Sports Guru

If you're in a win now, I think you have to go with St. Louis.

He'll be better in goals and assists than Zetterberg, and seems to have the edge each season in blocked shots. Their plus-minus, hits, and PIMs are pretty equal.

About the only Zetterberg has over St. Louis is faceoffs, and I'm not sure if a) your league uses faceoffs and b) it would be worth it since Zetterberg has been under 50% on faceoffs three of the last four years.

Plus St. Louis makes about $500,000 less. Not a lot, but in a cap league, who knows what that extra $500,000 could get you.

One other thing I like: St. Louis has missed seven games total in the last 10 years. While Zetts has been better at staying healthy the last three years, I like the fact that St. Louis can stay healthy season after season.

And I didn't even get into the fact that St. Louis plays with one of the top scorers in the league in Stamkos.

All in all, I prefer St. Louis.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ended up taking the deal as is. Just hoping St Louis can squeeze a few good seasons past 40. My top line is now Crosby, Lucic & Perry with a 2nd line of Elias, Kunitz & St Louis. Feel pretty good about that in a 20 team league.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Trade being reviewed....... It ain't through yet

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by stick boy View Post
    Trade being reviewed....... It ain't through yet
    I'd be surprised if it didn't go through, there's nothing wrong with that trade either way
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This league can be a bit tougher on trades. You could argue that the St. Louis side is the better deal with the better player

Or you could argue that the Zetterberg side is much better in a sense of long term keeper investment.

Regardless........ I'm really not a veto type guy overall. Let people use their own strategies & or make their own mistakes IMO

However..... I did quit one league when the Commish traded 3 top prospects for Giroux, Voracek, and Callahan. That pushed me over the edge.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Trade got through, but the consensus on the boards is that I royally screwed myself and they are surprised that it did not get vetoed. Nobody seems to believe that Marty has much left to give. Even being called " a rental"

Hopefully this gives people some insight if they're looking to move or buy little Marty in a keeper. His value seems to be all over the place. But overall? The little engine that could is being underestimated IMO

Dobber Sports Guru

With about a month left of the season, I traded Zetterberg and a late first for St. Louis and an early second. So the value is pretty much the same.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Superstar

I picked up St. Louis last season for Hudler and a 1st (6th overall). I'm in more of a win now mode and my farm team is full (max 7 prospects). Sure the pick would have been an upgrade for a few of my keepers, but St. Louis was a monster this year and I expect he has a couple more years left. St. Louis was the better side in my opinion.

Dobber Sports Ace

I did the exact trade a year ago....Gave up Zetterberg to get StLouis, albeit in a points-only pool.

Obviously your settings change the offer a bit, but it's tough to say you're making a mistake picking up a guy who led the league in scoring this year and finished 2nd three years ago, plays with arguably the best sniper in the game, and rarely misses games.

In other words, I like the deal for you a fair bit.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I picked up St. Louis last season for Hudler and a 1st (6th overall). I'm in more of a win now mode and my farm team is full (max 7 prospects). Sure the pick would have been an upgrade for a few of my keepers, but St. Louis was a monster this year and I expect he has a couple more years left. St. Louis was the better side in my opinion.
    Wow. Hudler for St Louis is a steal in any format. I'm also in a win now situation. I have a bunch of older vets in the likes of Jagr, Elias, Kunitz & Iginla. I think my window is about 4 years to challenge for a title in a 20 team salary cap league. I think it's harder to win this type of league with way things are going in the NHL. Elite Players like Perry are still getting paid the big cash & you can end up filling a ton of holes with pluggers.

Therefore I thought it was worth it to lose on long term investement. My league's trade committee seems to base everything on long term value & "win now" deals don't seem to go through. Bit this one did and I'm sure there will be a small amount of controversy.

On another note ...... Older vets like Elias, Brodeur, Gonchar, etc are easily traded for draft picks in this league. IMO Vets like St Louis & Co are undervalued in most keepers.