Thread: Alex Smith to Chiefs?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Alex Smith to Chiefs?

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally as a Niners fan, I dont have any issues with Smith being traded. If he's simply going to sit on the bench, you might as well get a solid return for him. I dont expect much from Smith going to KC. He's a scrambler and I get the feeling he's going to be doing a pile of it in KC. I have never been a big fan of Alex Smith. The one highlight I have of him is his big run against the Saints in the playoffs a couple seasons ago. Short of that, he will always be the 1st overall failure who's career was saved by Jim Harbaugh and a crafty system placed in front of him. He wont have that luxury in KC.

Good luck Alex Smith and good riddance.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

6 or 7 years ago I started a "I hate Alex Smith" group on Facebook, you should join.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    6 or 7 years ago I started a "I hate Alex Smith" group on Facebook, you should join.
    LOL! I will have to go look for it now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchef...1885915136?p=v

"Chiefs traded second-round pick, the second pick in the second round, to SF. Niners also got another conditional mid-round pick in 2014."

Pretty good return all in all. I wasnt expecting much more then a 3rd round pick for him. If he pans out, this deal will be a good one for both teams. I have my doubt for KC though.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

https://mobile.twitter.com/wingoz/st...6905231360?p=v

"The QB pipeline from SF to KC is a long one: Montana. Bono, Grbac, and now Alex Smith"

Dobber Sports All-Star

And we know how all those events resulted in happy endings in KC
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

Kansas City fans will be joining the group too!
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Administrator

Unless Harbaugh is going with him Smith isn't going to do a lot in KC. That said, there's some talent on that team and now that they won't necessarily be tempted to foolishly use that 1st overall pick on a QB they'll be able to add another big piece of the puzzle. Remember, these guys went 10-6 three years ago. That's a lot of time in football but some of that talent is still there.

What'll be interesting for me is what the 49ers do with those picks, I'd imagine they would consider packaging them to move up for the right guy or could use one on a guy they like and then do the old Ravens/Patriots trick of trading back for multiple picks. In any case, there's lots of flexibility available to a team that has been THIS CLOSE to winning it all in back to back years. They are going to be loaded up with talent one way or the other.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good trade for both teams. Niners get rid of some dead weight, and the Chiefs just had to do something at the QB position. And like metaldude said, at least they can now focus on using their first round pick this year on adding another piece of the puzzle rather than a non-deserving QB.

Plus, Andy Reid may have his faults, but he's actually quite good at squeezing the best possible play out of some pretty flawed QBs. He made Vick into a Pro-Bowler in 2010-11, made Kolb look competent before that such that another team paid a good price to get him, and helped McNabb have one heck of a career.

Smith may not be a long-term solution by any means, but he sure is an upgrade over the mess they've been dealing with and buys time to find the right guy for the future. Smith's job will be to not turn the ball over and keep defenses somewhat honest so Jamaal Charles can do his thing -- pretty similar to what Smith did for the Niners the past few sesaons when they were known more appropriately as the Frank Gore show.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Padawan

The price KC paid is enormous and SF should be laughing as long as they use their picks wisely. Unlike last years 1st round head scratcher.

As steep as the price is, Alex Smith could be a good fit in Reid's system. The guy was a 1st overall pick for a reason so he's not completely worthless. KC now has options:

-look to move out of the 1st pick and collect a package of picks to build from.
    -Not waste the 1st overall pick on Geno and grab Joekel to improve an already pretty good o line.
    -franchise bowe (give smith the best wr he's had the pleasure of playing with since Being a pro) or tag Branden Albert and have one of the best o-lines on paper. Even without him, smith will have ample protection.

The Cheifs just made there build a lot easier.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just a filler quarterback IMO, but he's definitely better than Cassel. The Chiefs need to draft a young stud and develop him in their system.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Agreed. But Smith is actually a pretty decent fit in Reid's WCO and will, as you say, allow the Chiefs to "develop" their QB of the future rather than waste a top pick on a non-top pick level guy and throw him to the wolves.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov