Thread: Buy the hockey guide!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Buy the hockey guide!

This is Christmas Eve for fantasy hockey junkies.

If anyone has any doubt as to whether or not to pick up the guide, here are some reasons why I do:

1. It is the best fantasy hockey guide out there. Period.
    I challenge you to name one that is better. If you are serious about winning your pool, buy it. Simple as that.

2. It's updated frequently (and lockout-proof!).
    Going into your draft, you are prepared with all the up-to-the-minute roster moves and insight as to which prospects have the inside track on cracking the opening night rosters. This is a great help for me because my leagues usually draft 2-3 days prior to the start of the regular season. Sure, you could go through the trouble of gathering all of this information yourself, but the time it would require is much more valuable than the cost to pick up Dobber's guide. The "mainstream" guides are pretty much done and gone to press by mid-August, if not sooner, so some of the information is outdated by the time it hits newsstands. This is even more important this season, in the event that there is a lockout, Dobber has committed to updating it until the regular season begins (hopefully this is moot though!).

3. The projections are gutsy.
    Projecting point totals isn't easy, but Dobber really sticks his neck out on a few of them each season. This takes guts. There is generally very little variation when you compare the "mainstream" guides and look at what their projections are for a certain player.

4. It gets better every year.
    This part is very true. You can tell that feedback received from the community is taken into account when you see the improvements that are made each year. There is always something fresh, and some very insightful pieces from Dobberhockey columnists/contributors. A lot of fresh and unique content that you won't find in other guides. Sleeper picks, prospective line combos, and some good insight on each of the team pages is just the tip of the iceberg.

5. Digital format is portable
    You download the PDF, so you have it on your computer, smartphone/mobile device as well as printing it if you wish.

6. The price is right!
    Ten bucks. Ten measly bucks. You can barely get a decent lunch for that these days. But if everyone kicks in their ten measly bucks, you contribute to the sustainability of an amazing Web site and community in general.

So there you have it. I am not affiliated with the site at all, other than the fact that I am a user who reads the ramblings every day. If you use this site, I really think you should should purchase the guide if your budget allows for it.

One more sleep!
    14-team keeper, Fantrax weekly H2H roto match-ups, daily rosters, 4 waiver moves per week
    8 Skater Cats (G,A,PPP,SOG,PIM,HIT,BS,FOW) and 3 Goalie Cats (W,GAA,SV%)

Start C/C/LW/LW/RW/RW/F/F/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/Util, + 4 bench spots (20 player roster size + 1 IR spot as per Fantrax IR settings)
    Keep 10 players (and 8 prospects w/ less than 25 GP), 10 round entry draft (5 round prospect draft)

2013-14: 1st place reg. season, 3rd in Playoffs
    C - Giroux, Getzlaf, Kadri, Gagner
    LW - Kunitz, JVR, Schenn (C/LW), Girgensons (C/LW)
    RW - Carter (C/LW/RW), Hossa, Pominville, Perron (LW/RW)
    D - Doughty, Josi, Edler, Cowen, Gorges
    G - Andersen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

This thread should be linked to Derek's thread about bringing your iPhone into the bathroom.

Know why?

Because you can read your fantasy guide while at work or sitting on the can on your phone!

I...am your father.

Thanks for the free marketing!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed613 View Post
    This is Christmas Eve for fantasy hockey junkies.

If anyone has any doubt as to whether or not to pick up the guide, here are some reasons why I do:

1. It is the best fantasy hockey guide out there. Period.
    I challenge you to name one that is better. If you are serious about winning your pool, buy it. Simple as that.

2. It's updated frequently (and lockout-proof!).
    Going into your draft, you are prepared with all the up-to-the-minute roster moves and insight as to which prospects have the inside track on cracking the opening night rosters. This is a great help for me because my leagues usually draft 2-3 days prior to the start of the regular season. Sure, you could go through the trouble of gathering all of this information yourself, but the time it would require is much more valuable than the cost to pick up Dobber's guide. The "mainstream" guides are pretty much done and gone to press by mid-August, if not sooner, so some of the information is outdated by the time it hits newsstands. This is even more important this season, in the event that there is a lockout, Dobber has committed to updating it until the regular season begins (hopefully this is moot though!).

3. The projections are gutsy.
    Projecting point totals isn't easy, but Dobber really sticks his neck out on a few of them each season. This takes guts. There is generally very little variation when you compare the "mainstream" guides and look at what their projections are for a certain player.

4. It gets better every year.
    This part is very true. You can tell that feedback received from the community is taken into account when you see the improvements that are made each year. There is always something fresh, and some very insightful pieces from Dobberhockey columnists/contributors. A lot of fresh and unique content that you won't find in other guides. Sleeper picks, prospective line combos, and some good insight on each of the team pages is just the tip of the iceberg.

5. Digital format is portable
    You download the PDF, so you have it on your computer, smartphone/mobile device as well as printing it if you wish.

6. The price is right!
    Ten bucks. Ten measly bucks. You can barely get a decent lunch for that these days. But if everyone kicks in their ten measly bucks, you contribute to the sustainability of an amazing Web site and community in general.

So there you have it. I am not affiliated with the site at all, other than the fact that I am a user who reads the ramblings every day. If you use this site, I really think you should should purchase the guide if your budget allows for it.

One more sleep!
    I'll second this motion.
    Aye,
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Initiate

You forgot one KEY reason why Dobber's guide kicks ass... it's released Aug 1st! This gives you a whole month to prepare before the other guides comes out.

I already purchased mine... and so far today I'm putting together a collection of 'Hold Your Horses!' word documents.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

I made my purchase about a half-hour ago, can't wait to get home and start reading!

Don't delay, purchase today!

Ric Flair-esque "WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    14-team keeper, Fantrax weekly H2H roto match-ups, daily rosters, 4 waiver moves per week
    8 Skater Cats (G,A,PPP,SOG,PIM,HIT,BS,FOW) and 3 Goalie Cats (W,GAA,SV%)

Start C/C/LW/LW/RW/RW/F/F/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/Util, + 4 bench spots (20 player roster size + 1 IR spot as per Fantrax IR settings)
    Keep 10 players (and 8 prospects w/ less than 25 GP), 10 round entry draft (5 round prospect draft)

2013-14: 1st place reg. season, 3rd in Playoffs
    C - Giroux, Getzlaf, Kadri, Gagner
    LW - Kunitz, JVR, Schenn (C/LW), Girgensons (C/LW)
    RW - Carter (C/LW/RW), Hossa, Pominville, Perron (LW/RW)
    D - Doughty, Josi, Edler, Cowen, Gorges
    G - Andersen, Halak

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Thanks for the free marketing!
    I was going to say this myself, haha. I do agree with the OP and just picked up the guide myself for my second consecutive season using Dobber's guide. Loved it last season that I knew I'd be purchasing it again the next.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Stud

Can someone explain what the "Fantasy hockey draft list" is compared to the "Fantasy hockey guide"?

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Can someone explain what the "Fantasy hockey draft list" is compared to the "Fantasy hockey guide"?
    The draft list is simply a list of how dobber and co. would make their selections if they were drafting today. Read the specifics to know how the rankings are established. The fantasy guide goes into depth on projections, line combos and "need to know" details on each team and players.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    The draft list is simply a list of how dobber and co. would make their selections if they were drafting today. Read the specifics to know how the rankings are established. The fantasy guide goes into depth on projections, line combos and "need to know" details on each team and players.
    So basically the draft list is included in the fantasy guide.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    So basically the draft list is included in the fantasy guide.
    If you buy the right package it is

No. There isn't a "draft list" in the fantasy guide if you purchase it on it's own. The draft list is a pure list (much like his free player rankings) and nothing else. The fantasy guide won't rank the players, but instead give you in depth info on each team, lineups, point projections and interesting info. The draft list is much more simple.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Novice

Default hits/bs

hi all - i was just wondering when hits and bs totals will be updated for the draft list (unless it hasn't already). for the past 3 weeks i've been downloading the list but the hits/bs it incomplete. i just wanted to know if this is normal (perhaps i didn't clear my cache correctly) and if so, what the eta was.
    thanks.