Page 130 of 606 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 140 180 230 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Just started a dinstinct thread, but the Habs annonced that Bourque is concussed.

It will be interesting to see how Therrien will react to this. I think that Prust played well with Plekanec and Gionta, but I somehow don't like the idea of him playing there for an extended period of time.
    The top-9 is set for now I think. Bourque had missed two games already so status quo unless the team stops generating chances.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Be interested to get your take on the trade eric. I've generally liked what cole brought to the table from his physical play. But sounds like he may have wanted out as he waived his no trade. I like the additional cap flexability and this seems like the best part of the deal for mtl. And with the gomez and likely kaberle buyout alot more cap for next season.
    10 team Keeper, Roto G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP SOG: W, GAA SV%, SO, Keep 4Fwd, 2D, 1G
    Start 3c, 3 LW, 3 RW, flex Fwd, 5D 2G

C: H. Sedin(K), m. Koivu, Plekanec, Galchenyuk,
    LW: D. Sedin(K), B. Ryan(K), Burrows,
    RW: St Louis(K), Hornquist, c neil, alfredson, kassian
    D: Subban (K), Fowler(K), Schultz, Kronwall, dillon
    G; price(k), ward, hiller

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by PriceCrazed View Post
    Be interested to get your take on the trade eric. I've generally liked what cole brought to the table from his physical play. But sounds like he may have wanted out as he waived his no trade. I like the additional cap flexability and this seems like the best part of the deal for mtl. And with the gomez and likely kaberle buyout alot more cap for next season.
    Bergevin probably accomodated Cole, who did not look like a happy camper at all this season. He gains a lot of cap flexibility for next season, and a 3rd round pick in a deep draft. I like this trade, especially given the way Cole was playing and acting this season.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PriceCrazed View Post
    Clearly there is more under the hood than just the trade. To me it goes back to Cole complaining about the new CBA and talking about retiring. That combined with him clearly not being in great shape for games makes me wonder what else was going on behind the scenes. The problem with Cole from a team's perspective is that if he is phoning it in and collecting a paycheck then they are stuck with him for two more years. The other thing is that the cap is going down.

Saving the 4.5 will help retain other players and depending on how much is left over could give the team a shot at some guys who are bought out by other teams or they could even be in a position to make lowball trade offers for buyouts-to-be.

I also wrote a few times in this thread about the team having a logjam of one-way contracts up front.

http://capgeek.com/canadiens

Assuming Armstrong and Nokelainen are let go the team has 11 forwards signed for next year not including Ryder could may or may not be re-signed. With Cole in the mix that would have been 12 forwards signed already which limits flexibility.

I like Cole from last year, but I really do not like what I have seen from him this year. I am not ruling out a return to some kind of good form for Cole but he has not been a positive player overall this year. The fact that Cole waived his NTC means that he was in favor of the move and the team felt this way too because they made the trade happen. Looks like a mutual parting of ways with Cole having an issue with the new coach and/or GM.

I had some issues with Ryder during his first stint with the team because he can get lazy and is a pure shooter (one-dimensional). But the team has the skill guys to get him the puck so maybe it works out. I also believe that he has rounded out a bit since leaving the team.

We will never know all the details of what happened behind the scenes and that is probably where the motivation for the trade comes from. All we can do is trust the GM that it was done for the good of the team.

Banned

I wasn't a fan of them acquiring Cole in the first place but I hafta admit I was wrong, he worked out really well in a Habs jersey, (and stayed healthy again!) so it's a little odd they'd trade him away for a 'been there, done that' guy like Ryder who can't skate and adds no size or grit or defensive play to the equation. Sure he's a sniper but the Habs haven't had any trouble in that department thusfar...an odd deal

Administrator

I don't think the "return" aspect applies as much for Ryder because the team has fired a few hundred people since he last played in Montreal. The whole organization is new so it's different than the same GM re-acquiring him.

Dobber Sports Pro

Financially, I love this trade. Ryder's contract is up after this year and it'll be Bergevin's decision to re-sign him or let him go.

The space it creates under the cap (plus Kaberle's probable buyout) makes it a definite win move for the Habs.

Hockey-wise, I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this. As all of you said, Cole has not been good this year. Apart from a couple of good efforts, he has seemed off and not wanting to play. Therefore, it's a good thing to trade him. However, I still remember the Cole of last year and I'm afraid that, as many ex-Habs who've been traded, he'll get it going again elsewhere.

I'm not a big Ryder fan. I remember loving him in his rookie year and how he was robbed of the Calder by Andrew Raycroft. But after that, I realized how one-dimensional he was. He still has a wicked shot and could be a great add on the PP but I doubt he brings it every game.

We'll see though, time will tell.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Saving the 4.5 will help retain other players and depending on how much is left over could give the team a shot at some guys who are bought out by other teams or they could even be in a position to make lowball trade offers for buyouts-to-be.

I also wrote a few times in this thread about the team having a logjam of one-way contracts up front.

http://capgeek.com/canadiens
    That is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned cap flexibility in my last post.

For those who did not clicked on Eric's link, here are the players that are signed for next season (used the lines that are actually playing together, or close to it):

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Pacioretty-xx-Gallagher
    Prust-Eller-Galchenyuk
    Moen-xx-xx
    xx

RFAs: Desharnais, White

Markov-Emelin
    Gorges-Diaz
    Subban-xx (Kaberle)
    xx

RFA: Weber

Price
    xx

I am convinced that Kaberle will be bought out at the end of the season with the Habs' second compliance buyout.

That leave Bergevin with close to $19,5 M to sign Desharnais, 3 other forwards, 2 defensemen and a backup goalie.

The 12th and 13th forwards, the 7th dman and the backup goalie won't eat more than 3-3.5 millions. So that means $16M for Desharnais, a forward and a defense. That means that Bergevin can go after any UFA this summer, or take a big contract via trade when other GMs will be hard pressed to fit under the cap next season.

Cole was not part of the core of the team in the future, so letting him go is not a huge loss.

For his first trade, Bergevin did great.

Administrator

My only issue with the potential lineup posted for next year is that Galchenyuk is going to rocket-ship himself up the depth chart soon and probably before this season ends.

Dobber Sports Padawan

My only issue with the potential lineup posted for next year is that Galchenyuk is going to rocket-ship himself up the depth chart soon and probably before this season ends.
    As I mentioned...this is not the projected line-up, it is the actual lineup.

Administrator

As I mentioned...this is not the projected line-up, it is the actual lineup.
    Oh right, my bad. Been trying to increase my sleep time lately and still not fully caught up.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post

I'm not a big Ryder fan. I remember loving him in his rookie year and how he was robbed of the Calder by Andrew Raycroft. But after that, I realized how one-dimensional he was. He still has a wicked shot and could be a great add on the PP but I doubt he brings it every game.

We'll see though, time will tell.
    The one constant when the Habs were terrifying the league year after year on the PP, was that Markov had a left-handed sniper on his right to set up. Souray, Streit. Bergeron (half a season). Markov like to play on the left point because it allows him to do two things that make him one of the best PP player in the league: to look for the cross-ice pass through the crease, and to sneak behind the opposing players when the play is on the right side. This is why he needs a lefty right to him. Ryder, while he does not possess a shot as hard of the three aforementioned players, could fill that void.

EDIT : I should try some of that sleep stuff that Eric talks about... Ryder is right-handed, of course
    Last edited by habs83; February 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

*Disclaimer*
    I don't think that the following lineup reflects realistically in any way what the Habs will look like in 2013-14

It's just an example to illustrate what kind of flexibility the Cole trade gives to Bergevin ging forward. This lineup is cap compliant next season:

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Corey Perry ($7.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
    Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.600m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
    Ryan White ($0.750m) /

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
    Mark Streit ($5.000m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
    Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) /

Carey Price ($6.500m)
    Mathieu Garon ($1.000m)

Once again, I'm not saying that Bergevin is going to sign Streit or Perry. I just wanted to show that Bergevin can go after pretty much any player for next season.

And the year after that, Gionta and Markov are off the books. Talk about long term flexibility.

Administrator

*Disclaimer*
    I don't think that the following lineup reflects realistically in any way what the Habs will look like in 2013-14

It's just an example to illustrate what kind of flexibility the Cole trade gives to Bergevin ging forward. This lineup is cap compliant next season:

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Corey Perry ($7.000m)
    Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
    Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.600m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
    Ryan White ($0.750m) /

Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
    Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
    Mark Streit ($5.000m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
    Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) /

Carey Price ($6.500m)
    Mathieu Garon ($1.000m)

Once again, I'm not saying that Bergevin is going to sign Streit or Perry. I just wanted to show that Bergevin can go after pretty much any player for next season.

And the year after that, Gionta and Markov are off the books. Talk about long term flexibility.
    I don't have the patience to add up the totals but does this stay within 64.3 million?

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't have the patience to add up the totals but does this stay within 64.3 million?
    I just did a rough estimate in my head. It looks to be around $70 million.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid