Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Green, Maatta or Krug

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Green, Maatta or Krug

Long term (points and power play points pool) how would you rank these three?

Mike Green
    Olli Maatta
    Torey Krug

I...am your father.

Default Re: Green, Maatta or Krug

Tough one...I can see why everyone has shied away from this one so far. It's a matter of comfort level with risk. Maatta is 100% safe, but I don't know if he can ever be a 50-point guy. Krug is 80% safe, and could likely produce in the 50-55 range. Green is 30% safe, but could get anywhere from 40 to 70 points.

So each person would rank accordingly, based on his/her comfort level with risk.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with Dobber's assessment of the relative risk vs. reward. If it were me, without knowing more detail than you've given, I'd go with Krug. The tipping point for me is PP points, and Krug has been (and should continue to be) a beast.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Legend

Yeah this one is tough, mainly because I don't know exactly how Maatta will be used going forward - same with Green. I know that Krug will get top PP minutes and is best-suited for being the Bruins top offensive dog on D.

Here's my breakdown:

Torey Krug
    • Skill: Shiftiest Offensive D option on his team. Can pass and shoot equally as well and has big shot from point.
    • Opportunity: He's a lock to run a top PP and will have a nice compliment with Chara and soon Hamilton. He will definitely get his.
    • Best Case (realistic) Upside: Based on his skill set and opportunity I would say 18G/36A/54Pts
    • Worst Case Scenario: If his defensive game falters and/or Hamilton steals some of his thunder - 10G/30A/40Pts
    • Expected Avg. Production: 13G/32A/45Pts

Olli Maatta
    • Skill: Great all-around player with scary potential. The kid oozes talent and hasn't even scratched the surface.
    • Opportunity: He's manning the point for a potentially offensive dynamo. The question begs: how much PP time will he get with a healthy Letang, Niskanen, Martin and eventually Pouliot?
    • Best Case (realistic) Upside: If he ends up on a PP unit and takes over as the "go-to" guy, we're looking at 15G/42A/57Pts
    • Worst Case Scenario: If he gets buried a bit behind the other guys he could be 9G/30A/39Pts
    • Expected Avg. Production: 10G/34A/44Pts

Mike Green
    • Skill: Uber skilled rover who has slowed down a bit due to taking a beating over the years. He still has the instincts and the shot but lost a couple gears.
    • Opportunity: On the Caps he will get his chances offensively but it appears he's already been supplanted by John Carlson on the top PP. The 70-point days are over.
    • Best Case (realistic) Upside: If he stays fairly healthy (72-75GP) and gets top PP time, I can see him hit 20G/38A/58Pts
    • Worst Case Scenario: If he misses 15+ games and the Caps keep Carlson on the top PP he is more of 14G/27A/41Pts
    • Expected Avg. Production: 15G/32A/47Pts

I happen to own all three of these guys so I don't have to choose, but if I did, I would go with: Maatta, Krug, Green in that order.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

You have to go green until he says otherwise. Still the best option of these three by a lot IMO. People also shouldn't be touting maatta as having big offensive upside just because he is playing well as a rookie. Not saying he can't, but many d come in And impress right away these days.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You have to go green until he says otherwise. Still the best option of these three by a lot IMO. People also shouldn't be touting maatta as having big offensive upside just because he is playing well as a rookie. Not saying he can't, but many d come in And impress right away these days.
    I agree 100% with Big Ev here. Green is the choice of these three.

my rank:
    Green
    Krug
    Maatta
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by One Man Wolf Pack View Post
    I agree 100% with Big Ev here. Green is the choice of these three.

my rank:
    Green
    Krug
    Maatta
    Man, you fellas are still drinking the Green Kool-Aid? As a Green owner I would love nothing more than for him to relive that 60+ point form but I just don't see it. Be it injuries, chemistry, coaching or whatnot, just watching the guy play night in and night out you can see he clearly lost a step and isn't nearly as dangerous as years past. Ironically, he's outproducing Carlson recently but he's been completely leapfrogged on the main PP unit. Between his play and his annual injuries I'm VERY cautiously optimistic with his production moving forward.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Man, you fellas are still drinking the Green Kool-Aid? As a Green owner I would love nothing more than for him to relive that 60+ point form but I just don't see it. Be it injuries, chemistry, coaching or whatnot, just watching the guy play night in and night out you can see he clearly lost a step and isn't nearly as dangerous as years past. Ironically, he's outproducing Carlson recently but he's been completely leapfrogged on the main PP unit. Between his play and his annual injuries I'm VERY cautiously optimistic with his production moving forward.
    I am indeed, I just can't ignore his past. I do watch the Caps whenever possible, and while he has lost a step and is currently losing in the PP time to Carlson...I just can't quit him. and since the question was to rank him against Maatta and Krug, I just felt he was the right choice for now.

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots

Dobber Sports Legend

I am indeed, I just can't ignore his past. I do watch the Caps whenever possible, and while he has lost a step and is currently losing in the PP time to Carlson...I just can't quit him. and since the question was to rank him against Maatta and Krug, I just felt he was the right choice for now.
    Man, I actually hope you are right. I'd be thrilled with a 50+ point Mike Green.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ace

Man, I actually hope you are right. I'd be thrilled with a 50+ point Mike Green.
    I'm never right...

Dobber Sports Ace

maatta just scored hmmmmm

Banned

I don't think I have ever been considered to drink the green kool aid lol. He's just producing even without the pp time, and it's not like he'll be in wash forever.

i could see why people wouldn't pick him, I know the weaknesses he brings

Dobber Sports Legend

maatta just scored hmmmmm
    2 more goals last night and he's not even sniffing the top PP unit. This is like OEL 2.0 - the kid just keeps getting better and better the more he plays. If anyone heard what the vets on Team Finland were saying about him during the Olympics, it was rather impressive. I think it was Salo who said "he has no ceiling." I don't see why he can't end up an OEL clone, even sharing the wealth with Letang the way OEL does with Yandle.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would rank them Maatta, Krug...Green. Olli Maatta and Krug are only 19 and 22 with their best years ahead of them whereas Green is going to be turning 28, which is still his prime but when you combine his age with the fact that he is already injury prone, likely limits his updside going after the next couple years.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Banned

2 more goals last night and he's not even sniffing the top PP unit. This is like OEL 2.0 - the kid just keeps getting better and better the more he plays. If anyone heard what the vets on Team Finland were saying about him during the Olympics, it was rather impressive. I think it was Salo who said "he has no ceiling." I don't see why he can't end up an OEL clone, even sharing the wealth with Letang the way OEL does with Yandle.
    Tyler Myers also really impressed his rookie year. You shouldn't take what the Finns are saying that seriously, I heard this with lots of guys at the Olympics. They will obviously not say bad things about their countryman.

Saying he has no ceiling is obviously one of those hyperbolic pumping tires statements.

He could be a guy who is already showing close to his peak production level. It's possible.

I could see OEL because it looks like OEL won't be a big point producer.