Page 26 of 102 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

The only thing that really surprises me about this, if it's true, is the timing. I was expecting the rumor mill to really heat up after tonight's game or tomorrow. Nieuwy hasn't been the worst, but he has made some head-scratchers. Gulutzan is now 100% out the door, whereas before, he was 99.998% out.

Gaglardi has been on record as saying he's been disappointed in the performance of the team and that it wasn't acceptable. So yeah, no shocker whatsoever that Nieuwy would be looking for work.

And I'm stoked about the chance to snag sharp mind like Nill. The Stars are about to get re-made from the top down.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

And so it ends. But out of the disappointment comes reason to hope. I've been waiting to post while I sift through the news blurbs and it looks like the Nill hiring is the real deal. For all the crap that Nieuwy takes for the Goligoski trade and the head coaching carousel, he assembled a team of scouts who've done a great job of stocking up the farm system. For never having a high draft pick(s) to acquire blue-chip prospects the system still appears primed to send up good NHL players.

Now with Nill we get somebody who's studied and apprenticed with the best in the business. You can't help but feel a sense of optimism that a corner has finally been turned and we're going to soon be back on the right track. Dallas has a very good owner now with Gaglardi, or at least all signs are pointing that way. Now a top flight GM candidate to set the course of the team. Plenty of reason to believe now.

- The Stars now hold the ninth pick, baring their winning the lottery. Their chances of winning the first overall pick, stand at 2.7%. I've also seen lists that have Buffalo ninth and us tenth.

- Given the area the pick is likely to fall in, Elias Lindholm would be the name I'd expect to hear called. May be Frederik Gauthier if they target a center and Lindholm is gone. Or Sean Monahan. I think center is the more pressing need at the moment given the depth of prospects on D.

If it's D they're after then maybe Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, or Ryan Pulock. Pulock's stock took a tumble in the final rankings. He fell from the number six spot to twelfth and was passed by Shea Theodore and Mirco Mueller.

Dobber Sports Monster

Will be interested to see what this will look like. It's about time, their current uniform / logo theme is hidious.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 1m

Many of you have asked. Stars expect to unveil new uniform and logo first week of June.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Will be interested to see what this will look like. It's about time, their current uniform / logo theme is hidious.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika 1m

Many of you have asked. Stars expect to unveil new uniform and logo first week of June.
    I wouldn't say they're hideous, just boring. The abstract art rendition of the state of Texas is a bit....odd. From what I've read the next unis will be more in keeping with the green and gold team colors.

Dobber Sports Wizard

After the dust settles on the regular season we finally have our answer about Jamie Benn's lack of scoring, quoting from a very short blog post from Mike Heika...

“Behind the scenes, [Benn] is getting an injection every day to just play, never mind play against the best players and score,” Gulutzan said. “He couldn’t shoot a puck for the last six weeks, so those are things that are starting to work themselves out."

There you have it. Also from that same post...

- Alex Goligoski's foot won't require surgery, so he should be good to go when camp starts.

- Trevor Daley's neck and Aaron Rome's hip will probably require surgery. Obviously no word yet on how long either would need for rehab.

Dobber Sports Wizard

While Dallas isn't experiencing the NHL playoffs, there is still playoff hockey in the state of Texas. The Texas Stars just wrapped up their first round Calder Cup matchup with the Milwaukee Admirals, taking it 3-1. Next up is the OKC Barons.

A few notable names.....

- Kevin Connauton has four points, two goals, two assists in four games. Of special note, both of his goals came on the power-play.

- Alex Chiasson and Matt Fraser both have two goals so far. Chiasson has only played in two games since being reassigned.

- Colton Sceviour has two assists.

- Brett Ritchie has one, but it was the game winner in overtime back in game one.

- Reilly Smith has an assist in two games, and Joe Morrow has one assist in four.

- Cristopher Nilstorp has been a rock starting all four games, posting a 0.96/.963 with a shutout thrown in for good measure.

The Stars came in as the number one seed in the Western Conference, and so far they're living up to the billing. If your wanting more in-depth coverage dedicated to the Texas Stars check out 100degreehockey.com. They're a great source of info for all the goings-on in Cedar Park.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; May 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Listed the wrong opponent for second round series

Dobber Sports Wizard

- Q&A from Mike Heika with new GM Jim Nill....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...paration.html/

- Here's a good speculative article from Brandon Worley at Defending Big D about the possibility of Alain Vigneault as the Stars next head coach...

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/5/...canucks-firing

- Tonight starts round two of the Calder Cup playoffs. Texas draws their division rival Oklahoma City Barons in the best-of-seven series. If the regular season is any indication this will be a tough series for the Stars. In their 12 regular season meetings, Texas was 4-7-1.

- Antoine Roussel had the game winner as France upset Russia in the World Championships. He has two points, a goal and assist, in four games so far. Here's link to a short blurb and a couple of videos, courtesy of Stars Inside Edge...

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/05/0...-championship/

- Other Stars players at the World Championship:

- Loui Erikkson has one goal and two assists for Sweden

- As Angus mentioned in his Ramblings, Brenden Dillon and Stephane Robidas have taken their act on the road for Canada. The two are paired as the shutdown duo.....hmmm, sounds vaguely familiar. Robidas is the only one with a point so far, an assist, but the duo is plus-5 combined.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Antoine Roussel had the game winner as France upset Russia in the World Championships. He has two points, a goal and assist, in four games so far.
    I picked up Roussel during the season in one of my dynasty leagues and think he has a little upside if your league counts penalty minutes.

This season in the NHL he was on pace for 15 goals, 29 points and 179 penalty minutes; not too shabby.

He played 4 years in the QMJHL and in his best (his last) season scored at a 57 point pace. In his best AHL season, he scored at a 36 point pace.

He has 20 goal, 40 point, 200 penalty minute upside in my opinion, which makes him worth a look in some deep leagues.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I picked up Roussel during the season in one of my dynasty leagues and think he has a little upside if your league counts penalty minutes.

This season in the NHL he was on pace for 15 goals, 29 points and 179 penalty minutes; not too shabby.

He played 4 years in the QMJHL and in his best (his last) season scored at a 57 point pace. In his best AHL season, he scored at a 36 point pace.

He has 20 goal, 40 point, 200 penalty minute upside in my opinion, which makes him worth a look in some deep leagues.
    Grabbed him in my salary cap dynasty league as well. Should provide decent offense with good peripherals, namely PIM and Hits. As his game matures I can see him being a steady 30-35 points, 150+ PIM, and 150+ hits.

The key for him is to avoid taking the boneheaded penalties that land him in the coach's doghouse. He had that happen once this season which earned him a trip back down to the A, but he learned from it, and came back better for it without sacrificing the physical aspect of his game. Long winded way of he refined his game.

His offense isn't spectacular but I think it's a bit underrated. He'll be a good own in deep leagues, and worth a look in shallower PIM/Hits leagues as a waiver add in case of injuries.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorry for slacking off here the last few days.

As I feared the Barons are proving a tough bunch for the Stars to deal with. The Stars find themselves on the brink of elimination, down 3-1, after getting shelled 7-3 last night. They had a chance to even the series, they held a 3-2 lead going into the third period, but five straight by OKC doomed that. And three of those five came in the final two minutes. Yikes! After giving up just eight goals in the first six games of the playoffs, they allowed 11 in the last two games. Double yikes!!

- Cristopher Nilstorp has played every game so far, and played very well until these last two games. After allowing 11 goals in these last two games, his line is still 1.97/.932/1SO, which underscores just how good he was until this very ill-timed slump.

- Kevin Connauton continues to lead the team in scoring so far with five points, 2 goals and 3 assists.

- Other notable names:

Colton Sceviour - 1 goal, 3 assists
    Joe Morrow - 2 goals, 1 assist
    Reilly Smith - 3 assists
    Alex Chiasson, Matt Fraser, and Brett Ritchie each have 2 goals.
    Jamie Oleksiak has 1 assist

Dobber Sports Wizard

And so it ends. The Stars fall 5-1 to OKC and lose the series 4-1. The first two games of the series were close, with both teams taking a 2-1 win, but after that, well it was most definitely all Barons. They outscored the Stars 16-4 in the three games on the Barons home ice.

Since I don't have a means to record the feeds off the internet while I'm at work I can't offer my thoughts on what exactly went wrong. All I can do is post the stats, but luckily there is an excellent source for news and opinion on the goings-on with Texas. Here's a link to 100 Degree Hockey's breakdown.....

http://www.100degreehockey.com/2013/...nd-2-exit.html

And as always Brandon Worley at Defending Big D has a good read on the Texas Stars as well....

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/5/...ma-city-barons

Dobber Sports Padawan

Kevin Connauton with 11pts in 18 games since being acquired by the Stars... Has his career seen a bit of a resurgence?

I personally was quite high on him when he played for the Vancouver Giants, but it seems like anyone who goes to play for the Canucks farm team has no offensive output. Likely just a case of their play style.

But since being moved, his offensive ability seems to have transformed to something along the lines of what I would have thought it should be when he first went to the AHL.

Does he have any sort of chance at making the Dallas Stars' lineup this fall? And other than Goligoski, who would he be competing with for PP time?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    Kevin Connauton with 11pts in 18 games since being acquired by the Stars... Has his career seen a bit of a resurgence?

I personally was quite high on him when he played for the Vancouver Giants, but it seems like anyone who goes to play for the Canucks farm team has no offensive output. Likely just a case of their play style.

But since being moved, his offensive ability seems to have transformed to something along the lines of what I would have thought it should be when he first went to the AHL.

Does he have any sort of chance at making the Dallas Stars' lineup this fall? And other than Goligoski, who would he be competing with for PP time?
    As it stands now I think he has a good chance of making the team out of camp. I'd say 70% chance he makes the roster, but a lot will depend on whether the rumors of Goli, Daley, and Robidas being available on the trade market are true. If they move them to help shore up the center situation, that throws the door wide open for him.

Nill likely will not have the luxury in Dallas that the Red Wings had, at least not to start out, that being taking a more patient approach to advancing prospects. The Stars aren't as deep with quality vets, so in the short term he may have to lean more on young guys in Dallas then what they did in Detroit. That works to Connauton's advantage, among others.

As for PP time, that's harder to predict since we still don't know who's going to be the coach yet and what kind of system they'll bring with them. Just basing it on who's already in Dallas and nothing else, Daley would be the other main competition. Dillon and Robidas saw time on the PP, but they also don't carry the same offensive upside as Connauton. I think he'll get a good dose of PP2 time right out of the gate.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    And so it ends. The Stars fall 5-1 to OKC and lose the series 4-1. The first two games of the series were close, with both teams taking a 2-1 win, but after that, well it was most definitely all Barons. They outscored the Stars 16-4 in the three games on the Barons home ice.

Since I don't have a means to record the feeds off the internet while I'm at work I can't offer my thoughts on what exactly went wrong. All I can do is post the stats, but luckily there is an excellent source for news and opinion on the goings-on with Texas. Here's a link to 100 Degree Hockey's breakdown.....

http://www.100degreehockey.com/2013/...nd-2-exit.html

And as always Brandon Worley at Defending Big D has a good read on the Texas Stars as well....

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2013/5/...ma-city-barons
    Reading through those reports, it seems really strange to me how they put players in positions they're not used to playing. But I guess if you're desperate anything goes.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

The bizarre line juggling may be a case of the Barons getting into Desjardins' head. All season long Texas struggled when they faced Oklahoma City. As you say desperation borne of frustration led to that most likely.

During the regular season Texas was tied with Springfield for 5th in the league for scoring with 235, or 3.1G/gm. Of the eight teams that qualified for round two of the playoffs, the Stars were dead last with 14 goals, or 1.56G/gm. I think Desjardins tried too hard to create a spark and it didn't work. And props to Yann Danis, he flat out slammed the door all series.

Then again as both articles mentioned, the Stars best players from the regular season all went cold at the worst time. Throw in an opponent who'd frustrated the shit out of them all season and it's not surprising they lost the series, just the degree to which it all went so wrong when the series shifted to Oklahoma City, that was the real surprise.