Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flames ownership no longer pursuing new arena in Calgary

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Flames ownership no longer pursuing new arena in Calgary

Wow, not sure if this is a negotiating ploy or not but if not (my guess is yes it is), this is huge for the city of Calgary and Flames fans.

Quebec City Flames?

Seattle Flames?? Interesting that this news comes out on the same day as Seattle about to build a new arena none the less.

https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/stat...37049452572672

Breaking: Ken King drops bombshell, saying owners no longer going to pursue new arena in Calgary.
    https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/stat...37283679285248

King spoke to Mayor and determined the city has no genuine interest in helping build a building. Talks over.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Flames ownership no longer pursuing new arena in Calgary

More posturing, mostly related to the upcoming municipal election. The relationship between Nenshi and Flames brass is just toxic. No doubt they're banking on a new council and mayor to negotiate with.

Administrator

There's a reason I've stopped reading quotes. Everyone's using the media to push their own agenda.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey Eric, "So you don't like people using quotes?" "Why you gotta be a hater?" "Quoth the raven"
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Guru

wonder if Eric Francis' back gets tired from carrying Ken King's water

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    wonder if Eric Francis' back gets tired from carrying Ken King's water
    Francis is a ridiculous Calgary homer, I'm glad he is mostly excluded from any national broadcasts for hockey or otherwise.

Mayor Nenshi just launched his re-election bid and King decided to make this statement as a shot across the bow, in hopes of having Nenshi NOT elected. These two guys don't like each other. Nenshi is a pretty popular guy and I'm not sure he has any serious competition to re-up as mayor so it may be status quo in Calgary for a few more years. But threats of the Flames picking up and moving are virtually zero, no matter what Flames management would want you to think. The NHL would not allow a team to move out of an established NHL market even in they were losing money. History bares this out.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I mostly agree with the above in that I can't see the NHL letting the Flames leave. It's a political back and forth for now and eventually this will get figured out.

I am all for Cities not contributing significant portions of new arena costs. There is so much private money out there that there is no need to continue to take from the little guy for luxuries such as this. Understand that there is some give and take, but Cities/States/Provinces should not be giving for the most part unless the facility is primarily for use by the public (community centers, minor hockey arenas, etc.).

Dobber Sports Pro

It is just posturing. What a surprise that Seattle announced a new arena (Notice that it is privately funded... along with the Vegas arena) earlier in the day. I except the 6 billionaires/multi-millionaires that own the flames to go tour the Seattle location in 2 years, a lot like Katz (pretty much using his playbook). And Francis and Staples sure do whatever the ownership wants in CGY and EDM haha.

But yeah, there is no one really to oppose Nenshi but his numbers are down. I have no idea why people find the relationship toxic, I think they are more upset Nenshi won't bend over backwards for them (ie. putting it in the stupid location they originally proposed). But he has said they can work together. It was a dumb time to announce it and they are getting blowback on it, not to mention the Billion dollar lrt line the city announced a few months ago needs to stay funded unless they plan to post-pone it. Also do not forget the Mayor is one vote on city council and there are many councilors involved closely with the flames ownership group. Also I agree with lobo above.

And do not forget the countless number of studies that show sports arenas provide no economic benefit to a city, but emotions tend to trump actual numbers so we will see what happens. Sorry if this is super rambly haha

BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I sure hope the Flames don't leave Calgary. We need more teams in Canada not less. Kind of reminds me of the Pittsburgh/Lemieux situation. Used the media to say they may leave (Kansas City) and ended up getting a new arena. As a tax payer I was ok with a tax or higher tax to help fund the arena. Probably the only time I will ever say that lol.

That stupid f***ing John Oliver video that is not applicable to most current arena debates, including this one.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IronCityCap87 View Post
    I sure hope the Flames don't leave Calgary. We need more teams in Canada not less. Kind of reminds me of the Pittsburgh/Lemieux situation. Used the media to say they may leave (Kansas City) and ended up getting a new arena. As a tax payer I was ok with a tax or higher tax to help fund the arena. Probably the only time I will ever say that lol.
    So far this situation has played out blow-by-blow very similar to the Edmonton arena situation.

1. Team announces state of the art plans for shiny building and revitalising downtown core.
    2. City says they are all for it but won't foot the bill.
    3. Team complains about not being "profitable" in current building, won't open books, says we'll stay "for now". Vague threats/actions to move team (Katz popped up in Seattle and bought the rink in Hamilton).\

(Yet to happen):
    4. Parties come back to the table.
    5. Team gets shiny new rink while city pays for a big chunk.

The added element of the upcoming election is the only major difference in my mind. That and Nenshi has been more outspoken of being anti-public money into a rink then the Edmonton mayor at the time was....
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    So far this situation has played out blow-by-blow very similar to the Edmonton arena situation.

1. Team announces state of the art plans for shiny building and revitalising downtown core.
    3. Team complains about not being "profitable" in current building, won't open books, says we'll stay "for now". Vague threats/actions to move team (Katz popped up in Seattle and bought the rink in Hamilton).\

(Yet to happen):

The added element of the upcoming election is the only major difference in my mind. That and Nenshi has been more outspoken of being anti-public money into a rink then the Edmonton mayor at the time was....
    It's an interesting study. I'd like to wait 5-10 years and see if an economist does a study and finds whether the new arena in downtown Edmonton is a net negative in terms of financial benefit to the downtown core. Edmonton downtown was decrepit.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post

(Yet to happen):

i thought we had seen this movie before...
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's an interesting study. I'd like to wait 5-10 years and see if an economist does a study and finds whether the new arena in downtown Edmonton is a net negative in terms of financial benefit to the downtown core. Edmonton downtown was decrepit.
    So far the Edmonton arena is doing exactly as promised. The long promised development is actually happening with private sector money flowing in. Downtown Edmonton is actually looking to be a livable place to be for the long term. More and more property taxes from business ventures and large condo developments in a dense downtown core is what the city of Edmonton was hoping to get out of this indefinitely.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    So far the Edmonton arena is doing exactly as promised. The long promised development is actually happening with private sector money flowing in. Downtown Edmonton is actually looking to be a livable place to be for the long term. More and more property taxes from business ventures and large condo developments in a dense downtown core is what the city of Edmonton was hoping to get out of this indefinitely.
    here comes the 'yeah but...'

yeah but, those property taxes are coming at the expense of property taxes somewhere else. plus, isn't that development mostly coming from the katz group themselves? didn't they get a sweetheart deal on the land as part of the whole swindle?