Thread: Markstrom vs. Lehner vs. the other guy?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Markstrom vs. Lehner vs. the other guy?

(For the 1st team in sig.)

We are allowed to keep only 2 goalies. Despite his struggles, roll with Markstrom as my 2nd goalie keeper? Any chance Lehner is the #1 next year? Lehner is definitely on the better team, so that is always a plus. Should I try to package one of them in a deal? Maybe I can flip Niemi with one of them to a rebuilding team to acquire a better #1 and then hope whatever rookie I have left can get some starts in.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by epik87 View Post
    (For the 1st team in sig.)

We are allowed to keep only 2 goalies. Despite his struggles, roll with Markstrom as my 2nd goalie keeper? Any chance Lehner is the #1 next year? Lehner is definitely on the better team, so that is always a plus. Should I try to package one of them in a deal? Maybe I can flip Niemi with one of them to a rebuilding team to acquire a better #1 and then hope whatever rookie I have left can get some starts in.
    1. Lehner
    2. Markstrom

Anderson is signed through 2014-2015, but my gut says they'll try to trade him soon enough and roll with Lehner and Bishop. I would be keeping Lehner and Niemi if I were you. Shop Markstrom, someone will buy into the hype.
    Last edited by dmvincent; March 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Ace

I doubt they try to trade Anderson this deadline or off-season...he was the best goalie in the NHL until he got injured and, while he is older and more expensive, thats hard to walk away from especially when the goalie market is so soft right now...Luongo, Bernier Bishop have pretty much been available since this season started and no one has jumped yet and all 3 of them have done well stats-wise. I think we'll see some more action this off-season since I expect the Flyers to amnesty Bryz, NJ probably will be looking, EDM may look etc., but I would still expect Bishop to be the chip rather than Anderson...I'd expect Lehner to backup next season and then get a chance the following year of Anderson stumbles...Markstrom really depends on what happens with Luongo...if FLA trades for Luongo wanting to win now, Markstrom is the backup at best, but if FLA is patient and wants to build around Markstrom he probably will get the reins next season...FLA has to be convinced however that he is ready and his performance so far has pointed to the opposite unfortunately...
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    I doubt they try to trade Anderson this deadline or off-season...he was the best goalie in the NHL until he got injured and, while he is older and more expensive, thats hard to walk away from especially when the goalie market is so soft right now...I'd expect Lehner to backup next season and then get a chance the following year of Anderson stumbles...Markstrom really depends on what happens with Luongo...if FLA trades for Luongo wanting to win now, Markstrom is the backup at best, but if FLA is patient and wants to build around Markstrom he probably will get the reins next season...FLA has to be convinced however that he is ready and his performance so far has pointed to the opposite unfortunately...
    I agree with this. Lehner will probably have another year or two before becoming the true number one goalie in Ottawa, unless Anderson gets injured (don't rule this out).

I think Markstrom is Florida's #1 goalie next year, but the team probably won't be very good. It could be a long season with him on your fantasy squad.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Theodore is UFA at the end of this season. While Clemmensen has always been a back-up and is locked until next year, I think that gives Markstrom the opportunity to thrive in Florida long term. While he was awful of late, a nice turn around in things would indicate maturity.

Sending him back to the AHL would be a waste. Make the kid play and learn how to manage losses.
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

Well I just found out that the trade deadline had passed so I can't deal Markstrom anyways until the offseason. So I guess I'll just wait it out until then.

But let's say that they will both be starters next year, who would you rather have? Everyone seems to talk about Markstrom's potential, but I haven't seen people go crazy about Lehner.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Smile

Well I just found out that the trade deadline had passed so I can't deal Markstrom anyways until the offseason. So I guess I'll just wait it out until then.

But let's say that they will both be starters next year, who would you rather have? Everyone seems to talk about Markstrom's potential, but I haven't seen people go crazy about Lehner.
    Have you watched Lehner play? The kid is amazing! He is the real deal. I go crazy about Lehner!

Dobber Sports Ace

It Lehnsanity how Sens-ational he is!
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lehner for sure, he isn't NEARLY as hyped as Markstrom but he could very well be the better goalie and he is the better goalie right now IMO.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Granted it is just a couple of games...but solid outings against the Canes and Rangers. Right now, I'm sure it isn't worth debating anymore than what has been said so far since I can't make a decision until the offseason but damn...Markstrom is making a case

Dobber Sports Veteran

So, my choice for my 2nd goalie keeper (we can only keep 2) in the Fall is going to come down to Markstrom or Lehner.

So I'm going to have to periodically bump this thread in the coming months heading towards my keeper deadline with this question: any difference in who you prefer now?
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    So, my choice for my 2nd goalie keeper (we can only keep 2) in the Fall is going to come down to Markstrom or Lehner.

So I'm going to have to periodically bump this thread in the coming months heading towards my keeper deadline with this question: any difference in who you prefer now?
    If things stay relatively the same for FLA and OTT, I go with Markstrom. He's been very solid and showing signs of great things, even though the Panthers are not that great right now. Lehner has Anderson to compete with still and that's no easy task. I believe Bishop will be gone before next season begins, but he's also a decent goaltender and if he is still in Ottawa, then he's got to be a consideration.

The path is clear for Markstrom as a number one, albeit on what looks like a bad FLA team, while Lehner may be a better prospect, his path may have a few bumps in it in Bishop and Anderson.

Like I said earlier, if FLA stupidly decides to mess with Markstrom's number one status, it will send a very clear message to the youngster and they might as well trade him. He's showing right now that he is ready to be a number one starter in the NHL. Yes, they still need a competant back up, but those are truly a dime a dozen.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket