Thread: Strome or Markstrom

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Strome or Markstrom

NOT for league in sig.

This is for a 10 team league, rosters of 12 forwards, 2 goalies. Mostly points for forwards ( some peripherals, but minor). 2 points for wins for goalies.

Assuming everything else is equal (ie don't worry about my team needs), who do you prefer: Markstrom or Strome.

I'm personally leaning pretty heavily toward Strome as I think forwards have a higher value in this setup. Also, though Markstrom has a good shot at a starting job in the near future, that job will be with arguably the worst team in the league, which will limit his ability to accumulate Wins.

Would love to have your opinions.

Dobber Sports Ace

Well, if there's only two goalies for ten teams...that equals 20goalies.

Pretty obvious that it won't be a massive issue to find an okay starter.

With that in mind, I'd concentrate on trying to have one very, very legit starter on a good team. Markstrom isn't there yet, although he may eventually be there.

So knowing that, I'd go with Strome.

But beyond that, if you only keep 12 forwards in a 10-team league...why is Strome one of your keepers?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Forwards are way more valuable in this format and Strome as the potential to become an elite NFL forward. I'd choose him very easily.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post

But beyond that, if you only keep 12 forwards in a 10-team league...why is Strome one of your keepers?
    I was referring to starting rosters, excluding bench and prospects. Both the guys are prospects, of which we can keep an unlimited number.

Dobber Sports Veteran

A wins only league, I think Markstrom has very limited value for the next few years while his team (and he) grow up a bit. That said, I find it very difficult to answer this question without taking into account your team needs.

If your primary goalie is of the vintage where he'll start losing it in 2 years time or so, I think Markstrom is a prime guy to have waiting in the wings to take over the reins. I personally think there are more Stromes coming through the ranks with more frequency than there are Markstroms, particularly when it comes to stashing players on your farm for a rainy day.
    Last edited by dejeanneret; July 31, 2013 at 8:34 PM.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Starting goalies are always good to have, so I'd lean towards Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    A wins only league, I think Markstrom has very limited value for the next few years while his team (and he) grow up a bit. That said, I find it very difficult to answer this question without taking into account your team needs.

If your primary goalie is of the vintage where he'll start losing it in 2 years time or so, I think Markstrom is a prime guy to have waiting in the wings to take over the reins. I personally think there are more Stromes coming through the ranks with more frequency than there are Markstroms, particularly when it comes to stashing players on your farm for a rainy day.
    Yeah, I didn't really want to get into team needs. The reality is my team probably needs an elite goalie prospect more than an elite forward. But I'm a long way from competing and I have plenty of time to address positional needs. I want to concentrate on getting the best players available. But your point about the relative rarity of a Markstrom is well taken.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    Forwards are way more valuable in this format and Strome as the potential to become an elite NFL forward. I'd choose him very easily.
    I personally think Strome has more potential in hockey.

I think I'd take Strome in your format. I think the likelihood that he hits 60 points in the next two or three years is higher than the likelihood that Markstrom gets 30 wins.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

10 Teams 2 goalies.

strome no doubt