Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Interesting comments but hardly surprising. I wonder if Yakupov will be saying the same thing after next year when his ELC expires?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...141801758.html

Anton Belov signed a four year contract in the KHL with SKA St. Petersburg. To some it was an unexpected move. For others, Belov could never fulfill the promise that the one-time best KHL defenseman would become a good player for the Edmonton Oilers.

Belov joined the Russian national team in Novogorsk, near Moscow, to get ready for the IIHF World Championships that will take place in Minsk, Belarus beginning May 9. He was asked about his departure from the NHL by Sovetsky Sport’s Pavel Lysenkov, who shared the conversation with us.

Why did this move happen? You secured a spot on Edmonton’s roster, played a lot there, and then you decided to come back.

“There is no one reason that made it an abrupt change. It all was building up during the season, especially more so after the Olympics. And the hire of coach Bykov (by SKA) was also an influence. The other point is that I could have re-signed with Edmonton, but I didn’t want to stay with that coach [Dallas Eakins]…

You were offered a contract?

“Yes… And another point is that not to re-sign with Edmonton means having to wait until July 1. And going to the World Championships I wanted to be under contract. Coming back to Russia was the only way out.”

Were you not given a chance to showcase yourself?

“I will not comment on that… Why talk about what happened in the past? I am happy and am proud that I spent a full season in the NHL on a two way contract where I could have been sent to the AHL any time. It is certain that I gained a lot, and it is a huge experience for me to grow further as a player.”
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Default Re: Belov's reasons for heading back to the KHL

Wow...

“There is no one reason that made it an abrupt change. It all was building up during the season, especially more so after the Olympics. And the hire of coach Bykov (by SKA) was also an influence. The other point is that I could have re-signed with Edmonton, but I didn’t want to stay with that coach [Dallas Eakins]…”
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Wow...
    Ya, that was the big point in the article that I read too. Thats why I changed the font to italicize that part.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

I put zero stock as to what a hugely ineffective #8 dman from Russia thinks about the coach. North American coaches actually demand things from their players, guess that didn't jive with Belov, good riddance!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Wizard

Agree with ^^^^^^ Belov was average.

He basically says he did not want to re-sign in Edmonton, but it sounded like he was open to testing free agency. In the end, the security of the KHL contract (while playing at the worlds) brought him back to the K....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    He basically says he did not want to re-sign in Edmonton, but it sounded like he was open to testing free agency but the security of the KHL contract (while playing at the worlds) brought him back to the K....
    His style of play is a much better fit for the KHL - abysmal defence with the physicality of a 10 year old girl
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Stud

Hopefully this means Yak is moved, not put in the dog house till he flees too. Helps the team and Yak out.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Hopefully this means Yak is moved, not put in the dog house till he flees too. Helps the team and Yak out.
    Yak and Eberle are the only pieces with real value that I think Mac-T is wiling to move to address the team's many needs, so I hope Yak is gone next year too. Not because I think he's a bust, but because I am realistic about what this team needs and what we would have to pay to make the necessary changes.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Yak and Eberle are the only pieces with real value that I think Mac-T is wiling to move to address the team's many needs, so I hope Yak is gone next year too. Not because I think he's a bust, but because I am realistic about what this team needs and what we would have to pay to make the necessary changes.
    Exactly. He doesn't fit the team Eakins' wants.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Deity

I actually didn't mind Belov in Edmonton this year. Show me any new D to the league that doesn't have defensive lapses or struggles in their first year. There aren't many. He was brought in to be a puck moving D with some offensive abilities and I thought he played well considering the expectations he came with.

Denis Grebeshkov to me was simply a wasted signing more so then Belov was.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I actually didn't mind Belov in Edmonton this year. Show me any new D to the league that doesn't have defensive lapses or struggles in their first year. There aren't many. He was brought in to be a puck moving D with some offensive abilities and I thought he played well considering the expectations he came with.

Denis Grebeshkov to me was simply a wasted signing more so then Belov was.
    I wasn't a fan. Nowhere near enough intensity or hunger for a borderline player to have in the best league in the world....I've seen more than enough goals scored against due to Belov not being hard enough on the player or puck, or going for a Sunday skate when he should have been busting his ass. I didn't just see honest rookie mistakes, I saw a serious lack of hunger, intensity, physicality, and work ethic, which are unacceptable coming from a very borderline player in the NHL.

I thought all of those moves were wasted signings......bringing in a bunch of #7-8 dmen wasn't going to change a darned thing. If Mac-T expected one of those dmen to magically become a legit top-4 dman, he needs to have his head checked.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I thought I was being sneaky when I grabbed Belov this year, and I pumped him up a bit in my league...
    But sure enough I dropped his ass within the first 3-4 weeks. Disappointing, but I'm really not surprised.

Guess he would rather be a superstar in the KHL then a 6th defenseman on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Guess he would rather be a superstar in the KHL then a 6th defenseman on one of the worst teams in the NHL.
    Yeah, it must be horrible to make more money playing in your home country for a coach you like instead of barely playing in a foreign country for a coach you don't.

If he doesn't want to play for Edmonton, and he chose to do something about it, how is that any different than Rick Nash demanding a trade? Or Ryan Kesler? Or Dany Heatley? Or Eric Lindros? Or any numerous North American players over the years?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Yeah, it must be horrible to make more money playing in your home country for a coach you like instead of barely playing in a foreign country for a coach you don't.

If he doesn't want to play for Edmonton, and he chose to do something about it, how is that any different than Rick Nash demanding a trade? Or Ryan Kesler? Or Dany Heatley? Or Eric Lindros? Or any numerous North American players over the years?
    Good point. The guy probably had his mind made up ages ago.

Dobber Sports Star

Im honestly not surprised by this, the KHL is more than a preferred option for russian players. However, I do wonder if he'd be changing his tune if he was playing in Southern California or Florida. The sunny weather might be worth not playing in russia/edmonton
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.