Thread: 11/8/11 Studs & Duds

Administrator

Default 11/8/11 Studs & Duds

Going to get this up early because I also have a Habs post-game write-up to do. It's the same drill as usual, I have to get up early for work and I'm watching Storage Wars right now. Brandi is in a tank top again. Me likey.

STUDS

Bulin Wall

Much like the Berlin wall just over 20 years ago, the Bulin wall had been crumbled for some time. But the Bulin wall is standing tall in 2011. He made 28 saves on 29 shots and managed to once again keep his season GAA under 1.00. This is remarkable given his recent history, legal problems and lack of an experienced defensive corps in front of him. Who saw this coming?

Franzen's hot start

Johan Franzen has quietly enjoyed a very good start to the season. He scored a hat trick tonight to lead his Red Wings to a 5-2 win over Colorado. His output ups his season total to eight goals and five assists in 13 games.

Roy back on track

Many poolies were worried about Derek Roy because of his diminished role on a very deep Sabres team. Roy was at times demoted to line three and also has seen his power play time reduced. Tonight he scored twice and added an assist while winning 13 face-offs in a workhorse-like 24 minutes of ice time. All three of his points were on the power play.

Honourable mention

Jamie Benn continues his incredible hot streak. To steal a tweet from Dean Youngblood: "Dallas Stars' Jamie Benn has 3goals, 8 points, +6 in three November games. Eleven points in his last 6 games." Tonight he had a goal, two assists along with a plus-2 rating, three shots, three hits and nine face-offs won.

DUDS

Toronto Maple Leafs

On Saturday they lost 7-0 and tonight they lost 5-1 to the Panthers. Both Jonas Gustavsson and Ben Scrivens appeared in both games so it's tough to find a real culprit so I'm putting the blame on the team. They started extremely hot but have been awful the last couple games. For some of you this one may appear in the "stud" section if you own players from the Bruins and Panthers on your fantasy team.

Alexander Ovechkin

The Russian superstar has once again looked like a very ordinary player. He was blanked from the score sheet against Dallas tonight and finished minus-2. Poolies are anxiously waiting for the real Ovechkin to show up because if their top draft choice fails to produce it may cost them a chance at winning the grand prize.

Semyon Varlamov

Three goals allowed on 16 shots in 27 minutes. In numbers that are relevant to your pool, he finished with a .812 save percentage and a 6.67 GAA. After a hot start to the season his numbers are starting to nose dive. It's tough being a goalie in Colorado these days.

Dis-honourable mention

Eric Staal's horrible start to the season continues as he was left off the score sheet once again in a losing effort. It's not so much the lack of scoring that is a concern to me, it's the 73 "Drop E. Staal?" threads that will be spawned sometime in the next 24 hours. Patience people.

Opening month success stories from around the NHL (Down Goes Brown):
    http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2011/11...ing-month.html

More to come in the morning...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Eric Staal's horrible start to the season continues as he was left off the score sheet once again in a losing effort. It's not so much the lack of scoring that is a concern to me, it's the 73 "Drop E. Staal?" threads that will be spawned sometime in the next 24 hours. Patience people.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSE9Qk9wkig
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    What the hell haha.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    LOL I can't believe you posted this in here

Great S&D's Eric. Gosh Franzen would post a hat-trick day after I traded him. Oh well. Backes did quite well for me in the periphs tonight.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

I was simply playing Eric Staal's performance off... giving him the hook in comedy relief!

Great Studs and Duds Mr Daoust! Glad Franzen is producing well.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Star

Was really hoping that Varly was gonna be a steal and big time sleeper, but looking like he will lose more games than win in Colorado.

I am pretty sure that he will lose each time I put him in - not a great feeling
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Administrator

Right back at you with some morning S&Ds...

STUDS

Fending off the backups

A pair of starting goalies went a long way towards regaining their throne as Niklas Backstrom and Jaroslav Halak each posted a shutout last night. Backstrom made 41 saves against the Flames while Halak made 29 saves in new coach Ken Hitchcock's debut.

Throw him a bone!

I think it's safe to say that Keaton Ellerby has struggled in his development thus far. Last year he was minus-15 in 54 games and prior to last night was minus-3 in four games. In the 5-1 victory against the Maple Leafs, Ellerby was plus-4 and added an assist. Hopefully this goes a long way in helping the young man with his confidence.

DUDS

Missed opportunity

When Pekka Rinne signed his seven-year, 49 million dollar contract it was apparent that he would see the bulk of the games moving forward. This means that backup Anders Lindback needs to make the most of his opportunities to make the most out of his situation. Last night was his first start of the season and he allowed four goals on 30 shots in a defeat to the LA Kings. While those are not terrible numbers, they are not going to move the needle at all when it comes to earning him a slightly higher volume of games in the coming weeks.

What a Blum!

This is Jonathan Blum's first full NHL season and he is having his share of struggles. Last night's minus-3 puts him at minus-7 in 14 games this season to go along with just three points. The upside is certainly there but until he starts showing that potential he will give his fantasy owners fits. That is the painful part of developing prospects in fantasy hockey - those growing pains can eat away at your chances of winning the weekly (or yearly) match-ups.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust