Thread: Value of D in points only league

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Value of D in points only league

Dynasty league, points only(G=2, A=1), 15 team, 19 man roster, start 3 of LW, C, RW, D and only 1 G. I have a glut of D and looking to move one for a F. Looking for what type of value I should get in return for any of the following D.

Kronwall
    Phaneuf
    Streit
    Carlson
    Goligoski
    B. Smith

I cannot seem to get any good offers for a 1 for 1 trade and want to know if my asking price is too high?

Also specifically, I offered Franzen and Phaneuf for Bobby Ryan, but the other guy turned it down. I wanted to guage if I was offering too little or do you think that was a fair offer.

Any comments are appreciated

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Dynasty league, points only(G=2, A=1), 15 team, 19 man roster, start 3 of LW, C, RW, D and only 1 G. I have a glut of D and looking to move one for a F. Looking for what type of value I should get in return for any of the following D.

Kronwall
    Phaneuf
    Streit
    Carlson
    Goligoski
    B. Smith

I cannot seem to get any good offers for a 1 for 1 trade and want to know if my asking price is too high?

Also specifically, I offered Franzen and Phaneuf for Bobby Ryan, but the other guy turned it down. I wanted to guage if I was offering too little or do you think that was a fair offer.

Any comments are appreciated
    First off, welcome to the boards!

Now to your question. Value wise, here's how I see these guys.

Kronwall
    Streit
    Phaneuf
    Carlson
    Goligoski
    Smith

In terms of value in a point-only league, I would look at moving Streit, Goligoski or Carlson here. Streit is not in the best situation with the Islanders, while Phaneuf and Kronwall are proven number one defensemen.

Some guys you could target in terms of forwards are Mike Ribeiro, Jakub Voracek, P.A. Parenteau, Jiri Tlusty, Matt Read, Cody Hodgson, James van Riemsdyk, Cory Conacher, David Clarkson, Jonathan Huberdeau and Damien Brunner.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Pro

In my experience, some league members just do not value d-men properly. Its probably best to accept that fact when you deal with them.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I agree with dmvincent's ranking in a points only.

I also understand the other guy turning down your Franzen and Phaneuf for Ryan offer. Franzen and Phaneuf have both hit their upsides and are either going to start declining (Franzen) or maintain production (Phaneuf) whereas Ryan still has room for improvement and isn't yet in his prime.

If Phaneuf puts up 50 points (roughly what he's on pace for over an 82 game season) with 13 goals he's going to net 63 fantasy points. Franzen is on pace for 45 points with 18 goals for 62 fantasy points. Ryan is on pace for 71 points, 25 goals, and 96 fantasy points. The difference is 29 points in favour of your side, but to make that up you only need a 25 point defenseman or forward, which is pretty easy to come by. Likely, when you factor in the guy that your trading partner would have had to drop he gave up the best player and actually lost out on points as well.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

At the end of the day your system rewards goal scorers, and most D aren't going to get you a ton of goals. In the last three season we haven't had any blueliners score more than 20 goals in a season. By comparison, 89 forwards scored 21 goals more last year. That's elite D vs middle of your roster type guys. If we're talking about a 30 goal scorer, and assume a 30/30/60 split, you would need that 20 goal scoring blueliner to get 50 assists on top of those 20 goals to match a Joe Pavelski or Tomas Fleischman from last year. That means a 70 point blueliner is about as valuable as a 60 point forward. The problem is they're way harder to find.