Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: { Signing } B.J. Upton

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default { Signing } B.J. Upton

Upton agreed to terms with the Atlanta Braves.

Ken Rosenthal on Twitter: "B.J. Upton and #Braves are in agreement, pending physical. Terms of contract not yet known."

Bob Nightengale of USA Today says its a five-year deal: "The #Braves accelerated the negotiations this morning to get deal done with Upton, believed to be for five years. Great fit."

Nightengale reports a five-year deal, worth $70-75MM.
    Last edited by dmvincent; November 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Deity

Wow. Big signing for the Braves.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Jon Heyman: "BJ Upton deal with braves is believed to be for about $70M over 5 yrs."

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think that's a pretty solid contract for the Braves. Not strapping themselves too long term and the $ per season doesn't seem that outrageous.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good deal for a potential 30/30 guy. Replace Bourn's SB ability and gain power. I think the change of scenery will help Upton as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I disagree, Upton will be a miniature version of Carl Crawford. He had no pressure in TB, virtually as little as you could have at the big league level, and now will be under a microscope. Moreover, his first half of the 2012 season was piss poor. He was dreadful without Longoria in the line up and his "hot second half" brought his batting average up to a whopping .246 on the season.

5/$75m is a bit of a reach. He's usually solid on D but is known for lapses of mental focus and not really hustling. When you mix that with a .255 career clip, the result is not a franchise player.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Final figure on the contract is that's its a five-year deal, worth $75.25 million.

Dobber Sports Deity

If anything, it pretty much ends Bourn's time in Atl. It will be intersting to see where he signs.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If anything, it pretty much ends Bourn's time in Atl. It will be intersting to see where he signs.
    I've got him signing with Washington, so they can move Bryce Harper to right field, which is his natural position.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    I've got him signing with Washington, so they can move Bryce Harper to right field, which is his natural position.
    Damn, going back and looking at the contest, I had both Bourn and Upton staying put. Ugh. I suck.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    I disagree, Upton will be a miniature version of Carl Crawford. He had no pressure in TB, virtually as little as you could have at the big league level, and now will be under a microscope.
    Is there a microscope in Atlanta? I thought they had mostly apathetic fans that struggle to fill up their stadium even during the playoffs.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There's a microscope here.
    Atlanta is a baseball city first & foremost... football next.

I'm not a huge fan of the Upton signing.
    It's got to signal that Bourn has indicated he's going elsewhere.

The Braves always seem to make "best that we can get" moves... not necessarily a great signing, but they don't seem to have much in their system and obviously wanted to plug the hole.

Summary: Imagine me with a "$75million meh face".

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    Is there a microscope in Atlanta? I thought they had mostly apathetic fans that struggle to fill up their stadium even during the playoffs.
    The $75m contract creates a microscope, don't you think?

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    I disagree, Upton will be a miniature version of Carl Crawford. He had no pressure in TB, virtually as little as you could have at the big league level, and now will be under a microscope. Moreover, his first half of the 2012 season was piss poor. He was dreadful without Longoria in the line up and his "hot second half" brought his batting average up to a whopping .246 on the season.

5/$75m is a bit of a reach. He's usually solid on D but is known for lapses of mental focus and not really hustling. When you mix that with a .255 career clip, the result is not a franchise player.
    Atlanta is actually considering sending BJ TO THE MINORS, http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/93...j-upton-minors. Maybe that guy above me is pretty smooth sometimes...
    Last edited by dongjohnson; May 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    I think that's a pretty solid contract for the Braves. Not strapping themselves too long term and the $ per season doesn't seem that outrageous.
    LOL!

Way off