Thread: Sorokin offer...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Sorokin offer...

Been offered a top 7 pick for ila sorokin. This league uses a lottery for all non playoff teams so the pick could fall anywhere between pick 1 and 7 next year in out yearly prospect draft. I'm pretty deep at goalie prospects but I know sorokin is a stud. Thoughts please
    14 member dynasty league. Full keepers. 9 forwards/ 4 d-men/ 1 utility/2 goalies/ 4 bench spots. Points goals, assists, hits, plus/minus, PPP, GWG. Goalie:saves, wins, SO. Forwards: Ehlers,Barzal, Barkov, Keller,Hall, fabbri,J.Schwarz,Hoffman,Aho,Perron, Kuzy, puljarvi.Defence:Karlsson, Hedman, Ghost,Provo.G:Helly,Vas,Raanta.Prospects:Peterson, samsonov,karprizov,parsons,sorokin,Suzuki,Bellows, Borgstrom

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Sorokin offer...

It will be a couple of years, at least, before he comes over. Then he and Soderstrom will most likely have a nice little battle for primacy. So its no sure thing. That being said, I own the guy and I am hanging on to him due to the obvious talent. Trading him for the pick is probably the safer and surer choice.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Take the deal and run. Goalie prospects are very flaky. That top 7 pick could be dealt next year to get you an established player, or a prospect that is much closer to the NHL - especially if it ends up top 2 or 3.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I would take my chances with that draft pick right now.

It's a tricky situation for players like Sorokin because they're making millions in the KHL but NHL teams can only offer them standard ELC with $925k base salary, and KHL stars like Sorokin don't really want to spend years in the AHL either where their salary would be about 10% of that.

Sorokin could be a star goalie in the NHL but the situation is too tricky not to take that top-7 draft pick on a strong draft year. Right now, the top-5 is starting to separate themselves from the pack in the 2018 draft rankings, and that's a very good sign.

Dobber Sports Master

I'd like to say that players buy themselves out of their KHL deal all the time but idk how common that is anymore .

I think its a win-win situation with either decision you make especially since you mention that your deep with G-prospects already.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd take the pick. Until Sorokin is a "stud" in the NHL, he's just another goalie prospect to me and god knows we can all list lots of prospect goalie studs who never turned out in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I'd like to say that players buy themselves out of their KHL deal all the time but idk how common that is anymore .
    It rarely happens with young players, though. Let's say Sorokin's salary is $2M per season (we have no idea how much it actually is). To buy out just the final year, he would have to pay 2/3 of that which means he's paying $1.33M to get out of that final year.

He probably needs a season in the AHL to get used to the smaller ice surface. Looking at most recent 1st overall selections and their ELCs, it looks like the maximum you can earn in the minors is $70k with $92.5k in signing bonuses as well. That means Sorokin would be paying $1.17M for the privilege of riding the bus in the AHL instead of staying in their home country and be a star player there.

Stay in the KHL: Earn $2M
    Play in the AHL: Pay $1.17M

So at the end of the day, the question becomes: "Do I want to lose $3M to get there one year earlier?" I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting until the contract is over and only then coming over. He would still earn more money by staying in the KHL but at least then he wouldn't be paying for the privilege of playing in the AHL.

One more thing - if Sorokin comes over when he's 24 or older, he only has to play 1 year under ELC and then he can sign for more money. If he were to sign an ELC at age 22 or 23, it would have to be for 2 years.

Dobber Sports Sage

Take the pick. He might not come over and Soderstrom could develop into the better player.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Stud

I own Sorokin in one of my leagues as well and I would take the pick - especially with the deep prospect pool available for next year's draft. Whoever you get in return he will most likely be in the NHL prior to Sorokin.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    It rarely happens with young players, though. Let's say Sorokin's salary is $2M per season (we have no idea how much it actually is). To buy out just the final year, he would have to pay 2/3 of that which means he's paying $1.33M to get out of that final year.

He probably needs a season in the AHL to get used to the smaller ice surface. Looking at most recent 1st overall selections and their ELCs, it looks like the maximum you can earn in the minors is $70k with $92.5k in signing bonuses as well. That means Sorokin would be paying $1.17M for the privilege of riding the bus in the AHL instead of staying in their home country and be a star player there.

Stay in the KHL: Earn $2M
    Play in the AHL: Pay $1.17M

So at the end of the day, the question becomes: "Do I want to lose $3M to get there one year earlier?" I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting until the contract is over and only then coming over. He would still earn more money by staying in the KHL but at least then he wouldn't be paying for the privilege of playing in the AHL.

One more thing - if Sorokin comes over when he's 24 or older, he only has to play 1 year under ELC and then he can sign for more money. If he were to sign an ELC at age 22 or 23, it would have to be for 2 years.
    solid info JP ; especially the 24 yr old / only requiring a 1 year elc tidbit .He's currently 22 with an AUG 4TH birthday fwiw.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'm pretty sure his KHL deal runs through age 24, and includes this season plus two more. So this is not a player anyone should be expecting to see until 2020. Given the high pick the offer includes, I advise that you take the deal and cash in the asset.