Thread: Did Tootoo turn down a contract offer from the Jets?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Did Tootoo turn down a contract offer from the Jets?

Rumor has it, the Jets offered Jordan Tootoo a two-way contract but he turned it down. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/WiebeSunSports/s...95666064125952

Source said #NHLJets offered Jordin Tootoo a 2-way deal but UFA RW turned it down. #RedWings bought him out this summer
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Did Tootoo turn down a contract offer from the Jets?

Very odd, especially at this point in the summer. I'll be interested to see if any other details emerge out of this. He really hasn't been the same since he left Nashville.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He probably didn't want to risk having to ride the buses all year.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    He probably didn't want to risk having to ride the buses all year.
    The Icecaps play in St.John's, kinda hard to travel over water in a bus.. HaHa..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

He's from Winnipeg isn't he? Kind of a slap in the face if this is true.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    The Icecaps play in St.John's, kinda hard to travel over water in a bus.. HaHa..
    Woops! Good point.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
    Woops! Good point.
    HaHa.. I'm sure they still ride their fair share of buses!! And Tootooooo, would probably be in the AHL..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by vitun-tyhmä View Post
    He's from Winnipeg isn't he? Kind of a slap in the face if this is true.
    Winnipeg is southern Manitoba. I am pretty sure he's from Northern Manitoba somewhere. Same province but no where near the same place.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Winnipeg is southern Manitoba. I am pretty sure he's from Northern Manitoba somewhere. Same province but no where near the same place.
    Yep, you got it Axeman, Churchill, Manitoba, way the hell up on Hudson Bay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Manitoba

still a slap in the face I'd argue

Dobber Sports Star

He is probably holding on the slim chance he gets a 1 way contract.

Administrator

He could sign a one-way and still end up in the AHL all year. The difference is that with a two-way deal he earns less money in the AHL.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Jordin Tootoo was born in Manitoba but was raised and is from Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. I do not know the specifics but my guess would be that Churchill, Manitoba is the closest community to Nunavut that has a hospital.

"Although born in Manitoba, Tootoo grew up in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, where he was taught to skate and play hockey by his father. Growing up in Rankin Inlet also allowed Tootoo to learn the traditional Inuit lifestyle that includes hunting and camping"

Jordin played for the Brandon Wheat Kings in his junior years. He lost his brother/mentor Terance to suicide after Terance was charged with driving while impaired.

"It was Jordin who filed the missing persons report after Terence did not return to the Brandon, Man. home where both were staying. The next day – Aug. 28, 2002 – police found Terence’s body in the woods behind the house. A forward who’d spent the 2001-02 season with the ECHL’s Roanoke Express, Terence was a hero to the community, but when he was arrested and charged with drunk driving, he felt he’d let his people down."

I'm probably wrong here, but he may have bad memories of Manitoba because of all that happened there. It may be 'too close to home' for him.

EricDaoust is probably correct in thinking that Jordin still feels that he has a chance at a one-way contract and is holding out for one.

He was and always will be a hero to Indigenous people all across Canada and I hope the best for him.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    Jordin Tootoo was born in Manitoba but was raised and is from Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. I do not know the specifics but my guess would be that Churchill, Manitoba is the closest community to Nunavut that has a hospital.

"Although born in Manitoba, Tootoo grew up in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, where he was taught to skate and play hockey by his father. Growing up in Rankin Inlet also allowed Tootoo to learn the traditional Inuit lifestyle that includes hunting and camping"

Jordin played for the Brandon Wheat Kings in his junior years. He lost his brother/mentor Terance to suicide after Terance was charged with driving while impaired.

"It was Jordin who filed the missing persons report after Terence did not return to the Brandon, Man. home where both were staying. The next day – Aug. 28, 2002 – police found Terence’s body in the woods behind the house. A forward who’d spent the 2001-02 season with the ECHL’s Roanoke Express, Terence was a hero to the community, but when he was arrested and charged with drunk driving, he felt he’d let his people down."

I'm probably wrong here, but he may have bad memories of Manitoba because of all that happened there. It may be 'too close to home' for him.

EricDaoust is probably correct in thinking that Jordin still feels that he has a chance at a one-way contract and is holding out for one.

He was and always will be a hero to Indigenous people all across Canada and I hope the best for him.
    Wow that's rough, that's definitely the kind of thing you want to get away from and not return to, you could be absolutely right that it factors into his decison

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm also thinking he's holding out for a one way deal. It's too bad someone in the media is painting this as Tootoo turning his back on the NHL team closest to his home, when really anyone in his shoes would be holding out for other options that offer a one way contract.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    I'm also thinking he's holding out for a one way deal. It's too bad someone in the media is painting this as Tootoo turning his back on the NHL team closest to his home, when really anyone in his shoes would be holding out for other options that offer a one way contract.
    I agree. It's too bad he's not taking a shot with the Jets. Their bottom 6 is pretty weak, and there's a good chance he'd get a decent number of games in. More than on a lot of teams, I would think, and the Jets have had some interest in him for a while.