Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Curious

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Curious

Now here is something that I do not understand, and I'm just looking for something to help me understand....

I'll start with I am an American (whoa, hopefully that doesn't lower my non-existent rep power)...

What I find odd, is that every real "hockey" fan in the U.S that I have ever talked with always roots for Canada in any and every International hockey event.... But Canada fans always root against the US....

Now I may be generalizing a little ....

I mean every real fan loves Canada.. and I may be wrong, but golly it sure seems like Canada fans really always want the US to lose...

am I wrong? If not , why? It's not like us plebs have anything to do with our gov.

cheers...

Dobber Sports Star

Plug, I'm Canadian and I feel for you guys. Here's why:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ose-badly.html

Bourne hits the nail on the head. Hockey is THE common measuring stick that Canadian's use... literally the ONLY thing you'll find people agree about across the country. Add to that our inferiority complex to the US (the States are bigger, more populous, more wealthy, more successful, in general) and it leads to us wanting our chief rivals to fail. Sorry dude, it's nothing to do with the US!

Dobber Sports Pro

I am not quite sure how to answer this as there are a few generalizations that are dangerous to agree or disagree with.

Canadians vote for Canada, not against the US. We do not want the US to lose per say, just Canada to win.

When it comes to hockey, Canadian "expect" Canada to win. Most true hockey fans from any nation, expect Canada to have the best team, but would obviously want theyr home team to win. Historically Canada's primary rival was the Russians and in recent years the Swedes have upped their game in the big tournaments. The Americans, besides the aptly named "Miracle on Ice", have probably never really been seen as a favourite or a threat to the top 3 nations.

What I have found, if I can use fantasy pools, as a guide, is that American players are starting to get a lot more respect when it comes to drafting and overall talent. Even the last few NHL drafts have had Kane, EJ, JJ all going very high and finding their place at the top of the draft order with the other hockey nations.

So to answer your last question, yes, you are wrong.

If anything, as hockey fans, we are quite happy to see you guys producing elite players.

But just to be clear, when we face each other on Sunday for the gold medal, we all will be voting "against the US".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Typical American - over-exaggerating. Non-existent rep power? Come on Plug!! (okay that was dirty pool - sorry)

I live in a community in Korea with a lot of Americans and they sure as heck aren't rooting for Canada against the Slovak's, so I am not sure your statements are valid.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As a Canadian, I feel lots of people here see the USA as a giant (as I'm sure most of the world does). Kind of a David Vs Goliath thing..and hockey is all we have to take on Goliath so we get pretty intense with it haha.
    One Year Standard H2H League
    10 teams

C: Sedin, Zetterberg, M. Richards
    LW: Morrow, Cammalleri, Kovalchuk, Huselius
    RW: Perry, Gaborik, Sharp, Antropov, Ryan
    D: Weber, Campbell, Bieksa, E.Johnson
    BN: Dumont, Havlat
    G: Brodeur, Huet

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hey guys, good replies, thanks.

I'll keep rooting for Canada unless it's against the States. To me it's like rooting for your brother... you just have too....

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Even though the UnitedStates wants to win the GOLD they have already exceeded everyones expectations and have already won something that nobody expected them to do. And really to be honest they are going into the GOLD medal game as the favorites, especially after already beating Canada.

I just want Canada to thump the Slovaks and get it over early.. Obviously I want Canada to win GOLD, but I was cheering for the US over the FINS today. I dislike Saku Koivu, Timmonen, and Kipper.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Hmmmmm....I was on a live blog earlier today and to say that Americans cheer for Canada when not cheering for themselves is just plain wrong. I think you are the minority if its truly how you feel.

Today, Americans were ruthless about Canada losing to the states. I'd prefer to face the USA in the Gold medal match as I don't want any nation to win other than canada but USA is the up and coming hockey nation and I could live with the reigning champ being our neighbour (not neighbor )

Coming into these olympics everyone wanted to say the Americans were underdogs - I never felt this way. They were right up with the Canadians, Russians and Swedes IMO.

We cheer for Canada and are very passionate about it because we have invested so much time and effort in developing our national past time. I have to agree with HPG, we don't have much on the USA other than a slightly better economy, better health care and more decorated in hockey. It just seems we struggle to get other countries approval in other aspects of life and are usually placed on the back burner. Canada is viewed as the "nice, innocent, non-threatening cold country in the north". We'd never hurt anything. Welp, we use hockey as a means of showing our POWER.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Zorro

By Kipper you must be referring to Mikka "I'm only going to be on the team if I'm the starter" Kiprusoff?

hahaha, aint karma a bitch Kipper
    12 team keeper, 8 keepers, Points only(1 point G/A, 2W+3SO)
    $65M salary cap 12F 6D 2G active roster

Banned

A big part of it is that we all want Team Canada to win and so we hate (hate is a strong word, but you get the idea) any serious rival, its not quite as personal as you imagine I dont think.

Another aspect of it is that its very much part of our national identity, its our game, we created it, we grow up playing it and watching it and we're damn good at it. So having the upstart U.S. who already has supremacy in so many other areas (as HPG notes) infringe on our sport is a tough pill to swallow. Lots of Canadians feel like 'damn, you guys have everything else, why cant you let us have the one thing we love above all else'?

This isn't a slam on American born players, the vast majority of those grow up along the Northern border and are more like Canadians in many ways than they are like their southern brethren but the way its set up kinda sucks if you think about it. We produce over half the players (like 55% about I think, used to be a lot more), and the ones who aren't born in Canada still get the benefit of our awesome junior hockey system to hone their game, yet only 20% of the NHL franchises are actually in Canada. We see Canadian franchises forced to fold and move to the states to compete with the money-driven league its become. Then we see crap markets in the U.S. with 8000 fans a night and unappreciated and its a real kick in teeth.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dean, I didn't mean all American fans... I meant those of us who are truly hockey fans, not the people who just get hyped up because it's the olympics. Because I know there are people who are hockey fans for the next week and that's it.

I'm sad that CHK didn't advance, I enjoyed seeing Krejic playing well.... give him a real winger....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Many Americans that I interact with (of course not all) who don't even bother to watch much hockey are like this:

"Hah hah we defeated you at hockey, you can't even win the one thing you are good at against us."

That irritates me.

I want Canada to blow them off of the face of the earth with the vengeance of a woman scorned.

I want the American team to feel the heartbreak of that guy from 500 Days of Summer after the girl drops him.

I want all of the hockey peons to bow down to the Canadian ice hockey machine of greatness and burst forth of songs of praise for what must surely be the anointed team.

I want there to be tales of legend sung in smoky taverns hundreds of years from now about Getzlaf the Slayer of Yanks and Roberto "Blocker of Beauty" Luongo.

Of course if the Canadians lose I'll probably just be in a horrible mood for the evening, (and maybe even the next morning if it's a particularly bad loss) and then get on with my life and try to figure out how the heck I am going to avoid being relegated in the Dobberhockey Expert League.

Dobber Sports Initiate

stop being so damn nice!! When it comes to hockey, we do hate you, we want to grind you under our heels and take a long piss on your corps while drinking a Molson Canadian.

Maybe it has something to do with idiots like Kessler saying the American players hated team Canada, or maybe at the last Olympics when the American womens team put the Canadian flag on the floor and walked all over it, or who knows how many other things.

I dont hate Americans, as I have many American friends....but I hate the American hockey teams, and it is well deserved.!! LOL
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Master

I was hoping the US won against the Finns. Not b/c I like to see the Americans win, but b/c I want us to beat all the best teams and win gold. I feel the Americans are the team to beat in this tournament and a proper win means beating them.

Plus, it is a very satisfying moment delivering a loss to the US. I dont care when they lose to others, but I quite enjoy it when we do the damage ourselves.
    Last edited by Atomic Wedgy; February 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Typical American - over-exaggerating. Non-existent rep power? Come on Plug!! (okay that was dirty pool - sorry)

I live in a community in Korea with a lot of Americans and they sure as heck aren't rooting for Canada against the Slovak's, so I am not sure your statements are valid.
    Dont worry about Shoeless, he's still bitter that two of his Koreans went down and let Ohno pick up a silver medal.
    @tlucarelli on twitter