Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Justin Schultz is he for real

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Justin Schultz is he for real

Schultz has 2 goals and 4 assists in 4 games.

He runs the PP for Edmonton effectively and is a serious threat to score every time he touches the puck. He gets more ice time than any other player on the Edmonton team, averaging 24:02 minutes per game. Schultz is just not an offensive wiz, he is solid in his own end, kills penalties and generally brings great improvement and hugh upgrade to the quality of the Edmonton defence.

He is currently the leading scorer among defencemen in the NHL as he was in the AHL. He is tied in scoring with Shattenkirk who has 6 assits in 5 games. He is among the leaders for defence scoring and compares very well to: Karlsson, 3 goals, 2 assists in 4 games; Dan Boyle, 2 goals 3 assists in 4 games; Pietrangelo, 1 goal, 4 assists in 5 games; Enstrom, 5 assists in 4 games; Byfuglien, 2 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. That is pretty good company for the rookie coming out of the gate.

Now I realize this is only 4 games and a lot can change over a full 48 game schedule but it would seem to me that a 20 goal 30 assist season for 50 points in a 48 game season is not out of reach for this very mature and gifted rookie. If those kind of numbers are achieved than he has to be considered a Norris Trophy candidate. The Calder discussion is almost over already well perhaps Taresenko might make a race out of it with his 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games.

Not since Bobby Orr arrived on the scene in 1966 has a rookie defenceman arrived with such early domination. Now I am not saying Schultz is another coming of Bobby Orr. He dominated as an 18 year old kid and changed the game for ever. Schultz is already 22 and Orr had been playing in the NHL for 5 years when he was 22 years old but Schultz is making a very impressive impact nonetheless. Five points in last two games sets him apart from most rookie defensemen.

Now it is clear that most agree that Schultz is already a strong candidate for Rookie of the year but what about the Norris trophy?

Karlson won the Norris last year with his awesome scoring production. It looks like Schultz can match those kind of numbers if he can avoid injury.

Okay lets hear what the nay sayers have to say

Banned

You honestly think Schultz will match Karlsson's production form last year? Get real. You're talking almost a point-per-game.

Calder sure. Norris? lol Schutlz won't have enough even-strength production to even be considered. He's pretty much a power play spe******t.

I love early season threads.
    Last edited by Big Ev; January 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Shultz may or may not match Karlsson's stats from last year.
    I agree that 4 games is too little to say he will, but it is also to early to say he will not.
    One thing that Schultz has going for him that Karlsson did not is Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yakapov.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Calder sure. Norris? lol Schutlz won't have enough even-strength production to even be considered. He's pretty much a power play spe******t.
    He's averaging 24 TOI/game, that's hardly a spec-ial-ist. Not saying he's a Norris contender. Just sayin'...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Schultz has a lot of things going for him this year. Another not mentioned above would be the shorter season. Since he has never faced the 82 game schedule, he may be able to keep up an above normal pace for the duration of this season where younger players would typically tire in the second half.

Is not entirely out of the question, he could put up numbers comparable to those guys this year, but I can't put him in the same company as the names you listed yet.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

could very well see him putting up karlsson numbers
    Kansas City Scouts
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 68Cap Use Cap Hit
    F- Hall PKane Gaudreu Lindholm Toffoli Tatar DSedin HSedin Monahan Nash Couture Schfiele Burakovsky Kucherov
    D-Shultz Gelinas Savard BSmith
    G-Price Rinne
    FARM- Barkov Prince RMurphy

New York Raiders
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 64.3Cap Use Yearly Salary
    F-Backstrom Hall Stamkos Stastny Eller Zetterberg Galchenyuk holland Raymond Griffith Zibinajead Barkov Kuznetsov Sheahan Schfiele
    D-Shultz Faulk Franson Hunwick
    G-Price
    FARM- Marcantouni Dansk Grigerenko Morrisey

Dobber Sports Initiate

You honestly think Schultz will match Karlsson's production form last year? Get real. You're talking almost a point-per-game.

I was sure you would jump on this one. Well let me just say I jumped on this guys bandwaggon two years ago and he has not disappointed me yet. I just want to be on record as having raised his name with respect to the Norris trophy first.

I am well aware that it is really to early to be thinking about the Norris trophy winner 5 games into the season but his guy is very impressive and he is way more than a PP magician so I am staking my claim.

Dobber Sports Sage

He could score 45pts because of his company. He's a great talent but Norris is insane. Not this year for sure. Maybe Never!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Master

There is very, very, very little chance that he will win the Norris. I'll be surprised if he is nominated. No rookie has ever won the trophy.

You are comparing this kid to Bobby Orr. BOBBY ORR, the greatest of all time... Gimme a break....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    There is very, very, very little chance that he will win the Norris. I'll be surprised if he is nominated. No rookie has ever won the trophy.

You are comparing this kid to Bobby Orr. BOBBY ORR, the greatest of all time... Gimme a break....
    Same guy who loved Brian Burke and every move he made just FYI

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post

I thought I made it clear that I was not comparing Schultz to Orr just saying that not since Orr has a rookie defenseman had such an intial impact.

Not since Bobby Orr arrived on the scene in 1966 has a rookie defenceman arrived with such early domination. Now I am not saying Schultz is another coming of Bobby Orr. He dominated as an 18 year old kid and changed the game for ever. Schultz is already 22 and Orr had been playing in the NHL for 5 years when he was 22 years old
    Just wanted to give the forum experts someone to jump on. I am just saying that no rookie d has hit the scene with such early impact. I understand it will take most hockey followers to appreciate just how good this kid is. Most have not yet even had a chance to watch Schultz play. Trust me when you see this guy play you will appreciate what I am saying this kid is clearly a cut above the norm and then some.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

he is a stud and will put up ppg stats this year and him and karlsson will be the 2 leaders in points for dman for years.. calder talk for sure, norris talk def not this year
    Kansas City Scouts
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 68Cap Use Cap Hit
    F- Hall PKane Gaudreu Lindholm Toffoli Tatar DSedin HSedin Monahan Nash Couture Schfiele Burakovsky Kucherov
    D-Shultz Gelinas Savard BSmith
    G-Price Rinne
    FARM- Barkov Prince RMurphy

New York Raiders
    14 Team Dynasty Points Only 64.3Cap Use Yearly Salary
    F-Backstrom Hall Stamkos Stastny Eller Zetterberg Galchenyuk holland Raymond Griffith Zibinajead Barkov Kuznetsov Sheahan Schfiele
    D-Shultz Faulk Franson Hunwick
    G-Price
    FARM- Marcantouni Dansk Grigerenko Morrisey

Dobber Sports Pro

Is he for real? Yes. He's going to rack up pts on that PP in his sleep.

Dobber Sports Master

Just by putting Orr in the same sentence as Schultz you are comparing them. If you aren't why even mention Orr?

Get some perspective mate. He's played 5 games. Dont give him the Calder and Norris trophy and call him supreme master of all the universe just yet.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Karlsson's the epitome of a spe******t type player, especially last season. He had more offensive zone starts than just about any other defenceman and rarely played a shift against the opposition's top players. He played sheltered minutes and racked up big numbers, but was hardly an all around defender worthy of the Norris.

If Karlsson could win it last year, Schultz could win it this year. It's more likely that Schultz wins the Norris than it is that Ev stops being the biggest homer on the forum.
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford