Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - December 20

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - December 20

Here is today's fantasy mailbag. Remember that School of Block is on the Flyers goalies, so hold off and read that before dropping any Bob, Leighton or Boosh questions in here. Thanks and let's rock and roll!

Dobber Sports Icon

Hey Justin! Would love your take on what number of starts per week you figure Lindback will get now that Rinne is back, given his strong play of late. I need to decide whether to keep Lindback (I have Lundy, Hiller and Leclaire and we start two per week). Another option is to finally let go of Leclaire and keep Lindback as my 3rd goalie to spot start.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Padawan

Justin, should I be worried about Bryzgalov's current injury status or is it simply a question of rest and the flu?

Thank you for doing this!
    15-Team keep 6f, 3d, 1g pts-only, wins=2, SO=3, OTL=1
    F: Robertson, Thompson, DeBrincat, McCann, Tomasino, Chytil, Brink, Carlsson, Berggren, Guenther
    D: Morrissey, Montour, Jiricek, Perbix, LaCombe, Perunovich
    G: Talbot, Kuemper, Merzlikins, Kochetkov, Copley

Administrator

I asked you this question a year ago regarding Deslauriers and where he would rank in your top 100 prospects if he were there. You said you'd have him around 8th best a year ago (close to Greiss).

He was up for an entry draft in a league I'm in last year and was not drafted so he's available again. So how much have things changed in one year?

Also, do you see Monster fully taking the reigns in Toronto or will he ultimately disappoint those who invested into him?

Thanks!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Hey Justin! Would love your take on what number of starts per week you figure Lindback will get now that Rinne is back, given his strong play of late. I need to decide whether to keep Lindback (I have Lundy, Hiller and Leclaire and we start two per week). Another option is to finally let go of Leclaire and keep Lindback as my 3rd goalie to spot start.
    This is a relatively easy one to answer.

Although I can only speculate that Lindback will still get a start every 7-8 days depending on the Preds' schedule (along with starts in B-2-B sets), you should definitely drop Leclaire and hang on to Lindback. There's going to be some rough spots with Rinne getting back into a rhythm, but Lindback continues to improve with each game he plays. The wine glass (my new nickname for leclaire) is only going to continue to be as fragile as an egg.

If it's just for spot-starting, go with the goalie that has tons of potential and upside and the one on a better defensive club. Easy answer!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by gerbernomics View Post
    Justin, should I be worried about Bryzgalov's current injury status or is it simply a question of rest and the flu?

Thank you for doing this!
    I would only be slightly worried, just like a user last week was advised to be slightly worried about Price's workload. It's something to keep an eye on. I remember Bryzgalov being the topic of conversation a few weeks back and I said he was showing signs of wearing down because he was giving up a ton of rebounds. I don't see anything that says Bryz' injury is serious and therefore he should be treated like normal. The rest is a blessing in disguise. He'll be refreshed and re-focused and just watch his rebound control in his first game back. It will go a long way in deciphering how he'll perform in the coming games. But I would say he's fine and you should only be slighty worried.

The Great One

Steve Mason's struggles this year have been discussed by many people, including Angus most recently who feels that Mason is one of the most over-rated hockey players in the NHL. Personally, I don't know what to make of him. I'd really love to hear your opinion. I'm not so concerned about the rest of this year, but next year Garon is a UFA and I wonder if Mason will be the starter and what you think his chances are of returning to form next year.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The Great One

NM, Justin. I just found this awesome article on your site and I now know everything I'd want to know about Mason. Just awesome stuff!

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2010/12/stevemason/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hi Again Justin !

Dobber just posted his top 100 goalies for keeper leagues, some are interesting like Neuvirth at number 7. What would be your top 10 for keeper leagues ? or maybe just an idea of it.

Also, Just your thoughs about Brent Krahn. Any chance he'll break into the NHL one day ?

Thanks!
    Keeper straight points league (1G=1Pt, 1A=1Pt, W=2PTS and SO=+1PT)
    Dress 14F, 4D and 2G
    Protect 15 (in bold):

Forwards: Malkin, Sedin, Spezza, Stastny, Heatley, Gaborik, Iginla, Frolik, Voracek,Ladd, Steen, Selanne, Huselius, Bozak, Ruutu, Horcoff, Whitney, Bouchard, Galiardi

Defensemen: Boyle, Karlsson, Yandle, Lidstrom, Pronger, Foster, White

Goaltenders: Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Anderson, Neuvirth

Farm (82 or less games played): Ekman-Larsson, Benn

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I asked you this question a year ago regarding Deslauriers and where he would rank in your top 100 prospects if he were there. You said you'd have him around 8th best a year ago (close to Greiss).

He was up for an entry draft in a league I'm in last year and was not drafted so he's available again. So how much have things changed in one year?

Also, do you see Monster fully taking the reigns in Toronto or will he ultimately disappoint those who invested into him?

Thanks!
    Well, things have changed drastically. As you can see, the Oilers didn't even feel like he deserved a single minute this season to try and show he could avenge last season's rough season. He's now in Oklahoma City with Gerber and heading to play for Canada in the Spengler Cup. I hope he does well in that tourney and gets some good exposure and proves he's still capable of being a solid NHL goalie. But as far as fantasy value is concerned, he doesn't have very much right now. The Oilers are in love with Dubnyk and Khabibulin has remained relatively healthy.

I do see Gustavsson taking the reigns in Toronto next year. I don't think he will disappoint because his value was somewhat of a risk to begin with. He's suffered a lot of tough losses again this year. He needs a really solid game tonight to start boosting his confidence and he needs to take another step in his development technique-wise in order to continue to be a valuable fantasy asset in keeper leagues. He's still very much a work in progress, however.

Hey Justin, Just wondering if you think the Sharks or Caps will define a clear number one to go with down the stretch. Who would be the best goalie on each team to go with for the rest of this year. Wins and Shut outs being the only cats.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the great Forum! I have an interesting dilemma. I have a lot of young talent at my Goalie position( Varlamov-Neuvirth-Holtby-Lindback-Rask), but so far none of them have jumped up and established themselves this season. I have debated on trading for another more secure goalie but not sure I want to as any one of my guys could be "the guy" at any point this year. My offense is ready to roll but is waiting on my goalies. Should I sit tight and play the patience game or be uber aggressive and gun for a better goalie situation? Thanks in advance!
    12 Team H2H Dynasty League
    4x4 settings (G ,A, +/-, PIM, W, GAA, SV, SV %)
    3C, 6W, 6D, 2G, 12 bench- 3 IR spots

C= R.Getzlaf, J.Toews, E.Malkin
    W=A.Ovechkin, P.Kane, C.Perry, B.Ryan, K.Okposo, J.Eberle
    D=M.Green, Letang, K.Yandle, P.Subban, J.Carlson, D.Phaneuf
    G=T. Rask, S.Varlamov

BC= T.Seguin,M. Perreault, T.Tatar
    BW= Calvert, Z.Boychuck, L.Omark, J.Morin
    BD= B.Smith, S.Elliott
    BG= M.Neuvirth, J.Bernier, A.Lindback, B.Holtby, R.Emery
    FARM= C.Kreider, B.Connolly.
    Draft= #1 Pick overall in 2011 prospects Draft

Justin, what can you tell me about rask? what do you see from him for the rest of the year and next. Should I just sit tight and see what happens?
    Keeper league. 13 teams, Start 9F, 4D and 2G plus 10 BN keep 15. Max 4 goalies on team
    Scoring cats:Goal (25), Assist (25), PPP (10), SHG (20) +/- (10), PIM (3) SOG (2) GWG (20) Win (50), GA (-15) SV (2) SO (50)
    Forwards: Point, Jarvis, Beniers, Thomas, Guenther, Raymond, Caufield, Boldy, Schmaltz, Krebs, Tolvanen, Newhook, N. Robertson, Teravainen
    Defensmen: Chychrun, Perunovich, Clarke, Lundkvist, Slavvin, Walman, Liljegren
    Goalies: Hellebuyck, Gustavsson, Knight, Korpisalo

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchierich View Post
    Hey Justin, Just wondering if you think the Sharks or Caps will define a clear number one to go with down the stretch. Who would be the best goalie on each team to go with for the rest of this year. Wins and Shut outs being the only cats.

Thanks
    It will really depend on how the four goalies play. Every team wants to have a clearly defined #1 goalie heading down the stretch because they want a goalie to get hot heading into the post-season. That's usually what it takes to go deep.

I could see both goalies on the Sharks getting hot at "the right time" and being the guy in the playoffs. They are both capable of being a quality playoff and "clutch" goalie. Obviously Niemi has the upper hand since he won the Cup last year, but a lot of things have to go right and you never know how things will play out between now and then.

Some days I like Niitty more. Some days I like Niemi more. If you're asking me to choose THE sharks goalie to take them deep, I would go with Niemi.

For the Caps, I definitely like Neuvy more. He's mentally tougher, he instills more composure and calmness in his teammates and like I've been saying for years, I think he's the better goalie. Also, a lot has to be said for Neuvy winning the game that ended the Caps losing streak.

Again, SV1 is a capable goalie, but I just like Neuvy a whole lot more =)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    This is a relatively easy one to answer.

Although I can only speculate that Lindback will still get a start every 7-8 days depending on the Preds' schedule (along with starts in B-2-B sets), you should definitely drop Leclaire and hang on to Lindback. There's going to be some rough spots with Rinne getting back into a rhythm, but Lindback continues to improve with each game he plays. The wine glass (my new nickname for leclaire) is only going to continue to be as fragile as an egg.

If it's just for spot-starting, go with the goalie that has tons of potential and upside and the one on a better defensive club. Easy answer!
    Thanks Justin! Keeping Lindback for sure.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper