Thread: Who to keep? Looking for quick advice!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Exclamation Who to keep? Looking for quick advice!

Head to Head League, counting G, A, +/-, SHP, SOG, Hits. For goalies, Wins and Save %.

Of my roster, I will be keeping 8. Who would you go with? Trying to get a good idea early so I can determine who is trade bait. Looking to shop Schultz if I won't be keeping him as his lack of hits and +/- aren't the best for the categories counted, given my only current weakness in my league is Hits. Thank you!

Forwards:

E. Staal
    Skinner
    Nash
    Pacioretty
    P. Kane
    Perry
    Backes
    Parise
    Clarkson

Defense:

Letang
    Schultz
    Del Zotto
    Ehrhoff

Goalies:

Rask
    Niemi
    Ward

My tentative keepers are in bold in my signature.
    Last edited by jcairns; March 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM.

Dobber Sports Veteran

bump. Needing some feedback if anyone cares to throw in their 2 cents! Pretty torn on whether or not to set Schultz as a keeper.

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't be keeping Schultz. From your team I would keep one goalie Rask, and one D Letang. The remaining 6 keeper players would all be forwards.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Essej View Post
    I wouldn't be keeping Schultz. From your team I would keep one goalie Rask, and one D Letang. The remaining 6 keeper players would all be forwards.
    Thanks for your input. That's exactly the set up I had already as indicated in my signature; good to know you back up that initial choice.

Rep for you! Haha.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Personally I would be keeping Parise and Kane over Skinner and MPac.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wlussf View Post
    Personally I would be keeping Parise and Kane over Skinner and MPac.
    For myself, I'm torn on which forwards to keep. I will likely keep Parise over Skinner, because Parise does contribute a bit in the hits and is more durable. P. Kane I'm torn on though... his lack of hits are really crippling.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    For myself, I'm torn on which forwards to keep. I will likely keep Parise over Skinner, because Parise does contribute a bit in the hits and is more durable. P. Kane I'm torn on though... his lack of hits are really crippling.
    Goals are much harder to fill than hits. You have Backes which is a great start to filling out your hits. You can draft in the first few rounds each year a player that is more rounded out, or just get a Clutterbuck type of player in the final few rounds. Is Callahan a keeper on another team, because he would be a player I would try to target either in a trade or in the early rounds of next years draft.

Dobber Sports Initiate

These are the guys I'd be keeping. It was tough to cut Parise, because he's always been great at SOG and points overall, but his numbers this year haven't impressed me, and I fear that it's a sign of things to come with Minnesota. Perry and Backes are great hits guys, so they're in. Staal and Kane are your highest scoring forwards to date, and they have a pretty good history of offense as well, so they're also in. Letang and Schultz are two of the best offensive options out there, and Letang is pretty good for +/- as well. Niemi and Rask are two of the best for sv% and are both in really good spots to cash in a lot of wins.

Staal, Kane, Perry, Backes
    Letang, Schultz
    Niemi, Rask
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    These are the guys I'd be keeping. It was tough to cut Parise, because he's always been great at SOG and points overall, but his numbers this year haven't impressed me, and I fear that it's a sign of things to come with Minnesota. Perry and Backes are great hits guys, so they're in. Staal and Kane are your highest scoring forwards to date, and they have a pretty good history of offense as well, so they're also in. Letang and Schultz are two of the best offensive options out there, and Letang is pretty good for +/- as well. Niemi and Rask are two of the best for sv% and are both in really good spots to cash in a lot of wins.

Staal, Kane, Perry, Backes
    Letang, Schultz
    Niemi, Rask
    Really? No Nash? Nash is amongst my top shooter and hitter, and is at over a point per game pace.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

E. Staal
    Skinner
    Nash
    Pacioretty
    P. Kane
    Perry
    Backes
    Parise
    Clarkson

Defense:

Letang
    Schultz
    Del Zotto
    Ehrhoff

Goalies:

Rask
    Niemi
    Ward

If you start two goalies, I'd keep Niemi over Nash.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Really? No Nash? Nash is amongst my top shooter and hitter, and is at over a point per game pace.
    If you want to keep Nash over someone else that's, of course, up to you. Personally I have never been a big Nash fan, so I would prefer to have a guy like Perry or Schultz. Schultz seems to be the obvious guy to switch out, but in a league like this where hits and +/- are two of only 6 skater stats I'd keep who I've got listed going into the draft, and then focus entirely on top offensive forwards until very late. Count on Letang and Schultz to provide offense from the defense and ignore all the runs on defensemen, grabbing guys like L. Schenn and Robidas to cover off your hits and +/- at the end of the draft. A guy like Robidas could end up being really valuable because he will do well for you in 1/3 of your skater scoring cats. Best of all, hits guys are easy to replace when they go down. There's always someone on the wire that will give you good hits. If you've got a spot on the roster that you use just for hits you've got a much better chance of being competitive in that stat. Dropping a guy like Smid or Schenn isn't a big deal, because there are lots of guys like him, but if Chara or Phaneuf starts to slump then you're screwed, because you're never going to drop those guys.

There are any number of strategies that you could employ going into this situation, and several of them include Nash, but that's what I would be doing.
    16 team, full keeper
    19 roster players, 15 prospects, 2 farm
    Stats: G, A, PPG, SHG, special teams assists, SOG, FOW, PIM, hits, BS, Tk, +/-, W, SO, saves, s%, GAA, SO saves

C: Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, H. Sedin, J. Staal, Hodgson
    W: Perreault, Atkinson, Dorsett, Jagr, Burrows, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Condra
    D: Karlsson, Keith, OEL, Hamonic, Gudas, Hejda
    G: Price, Rinne

Prospects: Lindholm, Cassels, Perlini, Vesey, Sheahan, Teravainen, Jensen, Ceci, Koekkoek, Emelin, Kulikov, Rundblad, Grubauer, Kuemper

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bizzl View Post
    If you want to keep Nash over someone else that's, of course, up to you. Personally I have never been a big Nash fan, so I would prefer to have a guy like Perry or Schultz. Schultz seems to be the obvious guy to switch out, but in a league like this where hits and +/- are two of only 6 skater stats I'd keep who I've got listed going into the draft, and then focus entirely on top offensive forwards until very late. Count on Letang and Schultz to provide offense from the defense and ignore all the runs on defensemen, grabbing guys like L. Schenn and Robidas to cover off your hits and +/- at the end of the draft. A guy like Robidas could end up being really valuable because he will do well for you in 1/3 of your skater scoring cats. Best of all, hits guys are easy to replace when they go down. There's always someone on the wire that will give you good hits. If you've got a spot on the roster that you use just for hits you've got a much better chance of being competitive in that stat. Dropping a guy like Smid or Schenn isn't a big deal, because there are lots of guys like him, but if Chara or Phaneuf starts to slump then you're screwed, because you're never going to drop those guys.

There are any number of strategies that you could employ going into this situation, and several of them include Nash, but that's what I would be doing.
    Fair enough. I do agree with your reasoning. I have found though that shots are not as easy to come by, which is where guys like Nash and Parise come in handy. My one concern though is how Schultz will perform next year in his sophomore year, and if it's worth using up a keeper spot on him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    E. Staal
    Nash
    P. Kane
    Perry
    Backes
    Parise

Defense:

Letang

Goalies:

Rask

If you start two goalies, I'd keep Niemi over Nash.
    I have to agree with dmvincent on this one.. for me its pretty clear on the top 8..
    Schultz wont fill most of your categories in your league.. if PPP was a category then maybe id consider him..
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Brosive View Post
    I have to agree with dmvincent on this one.. for me its pretty clear on the top 8..
    Schultz wont fill most of your categories in your league.. if PPP was a category then maybe id consider him..
    That's what I'm leaning toward as well, but still torn. It's hard to get D-men that can produce. Mainly my decision comes down to whether I should keep Schultz and/or a second goalie (ie. Niemi), or use those spots for forwards instead. But I do feel I've assembled a pretty killer squad of forwards so it'd be hard to not keep them.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

That's what I'm leaning toward as well, but still torn. It's hard to get D-men that can produce. Mainly my decision comes down to whether I should keep Schultz and/or a second goalie (ie. Niemi), or use those spots for forwards instead. But I do feel I've assembled a pretty killer squad of forwards so it'd be hard to not keep them.
    i hear what your saying, its always good to keep a balanced team.. but in a keep 8 you really should make sure you keep the best 8..
    look at it this way, if you were really forced to trade for a defensman.. do you believe you can aquire schultz with any of nash, parise, perry, kane, backes, staal (of course)..
    but the other way around wouldnt be possible.. you cannot aquire nash, parise, perry, kane, backes, or staal with simply schultz.. no one would accept that.. i always try to keep in mind my leagues value of players.. if goalies are ranked really high and you start more than 1, id consider keeping another G.. but defense, no
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin