Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - March 14

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - March 14

Here's this week's fantasy mailbag! Today's School of Block is all about Ray Emery and Braden Holtby, so look for that shortly before you ask questions about them in here. Cheers!

Hey Justin,

Considering straight up wins (bonus for shut outs), no peripherals, who do you like down the stretch Halak or Kipper.

I've been riding Kipper for the last 7 weeks or so, and he's been doing rather well, however, with the playoffs coming up I'm settling into my usual "paranoid over-thinking" strategy - wondering if a big Kipper meltdown is due.

Appreciate your thoughts, as always.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Stud

Ray Emery. I need one more goalie to finish up my goalie games, If I've missed the boat on Ellis, should I be watching Emery like a hawk?

Or should I grab Bernier to fill in with Quick?
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would appreciate some early guesses for next year:
    1) Which goalies do you see getting 10+wins next year who didn’t play more than a few games this year (i.e. next year's Bobrovsky, Reimer, Montoya, etc.)
    2) Back-up in Calgary: does Karlsson get resigned or does Irving make the jump?
    3) Does Giguere get an NHL job next year?
    4) Tampa goalie situation 2011-2012.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey Justin,

Considering straight up wins (bonus for shut outs), no peripherals, who do you like down the stretch Halak or Kipper.

I've been riding Kipper for the last 7 weeks or so, and he's been doing rather well, however, with the playoffs coming up I'm settling into my usual "paranoid over-thinking" strategy - wondering if a big Kipper meltdown is due.

Appreciate your thoughts, as always.
    If you are wondering about a big Kipper meltdown, do you see any signs he's headed for one? I sure don't! Stick with Kipper ... he has been playing great and we all know he's capable of playing this well in the final month. Every game he plays is more important than the last, but the same can't be said for Halak. I was expecting a better performance out of him against Detroit, but it didn't happen. I'd definitely roll with Kipper for the rest of this year, in your situation.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold View Post
    Ray Emery. I need one more goalie to finish up my goalie games, If I've missed the boat on Ellis, should I be watching Emery like a hawk?

Or should I grab Bernier to fill in with Quick?
    Read School of Block! It's now posted.

I would definitely snag Emery. I did in two of my three leagues...picked him up and dropped Marty Turco. You may have missed the boat on Ellis ... but he's a very streaky goalie, so it could be sinking. I expect Emery to start on Wednesday.

The King of Diatribes

Supplement today's School of Block with this piece, which was posted after I sent in the article to dobber:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...GWZV_blog.html

Basically the same thing I'm saying - Varly is the odd man out, Neuvy will probalby ultimately be that starter in the playoffs. 12 games is only 12 games ... giving a few to Varly for no reason only distracts Neuvy and Holtby.

But if Holtby keeps winning, and Neuvirth doesn't get many games in the final 12, that's going to cause issues. I agree with Tarik ... get Neuvy in as quick as possible. First game Holtby loses, that should be it for him ... and I'd almost rather keep Holtby as a backup over Varly for the simple fact he's in a better rhythm and Varly is rusty!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    I would appreciate some early guesses for next year:
    1) Which goalies do you see getting 10+wins next year who didn’t play more than a few games this year (i.e. next year's Bobrovsky, Reimer, Montoya, etc.)
    2) Back-up in Calgary: does Karlsson get resigned or does Irving make the jump?
    3) Does Giguere get an NHL job next year?
    4) Tampa goalie situation 2011-2012.
    1. Emery, Desjardins, Holtby, Enroth, Bernier. Also I don't think these guys fit those requirements but should still be mentioned - Rask and Lindback. I might be missing a few others, but it's still very early to tell on a lot of teams.

2. Good question. I'm really not sure. I don't think it makes sense to graduate Irving if he's just going to ride the pine behind Kiprusoff. So I'll venture and say they sign Karlsson for one more year.

3. Yes. Not sure where. I think he still acts as a wonderful mentor and will accept a backup role now knowing that he's simply past the point of being a 60-game goalie.

4. As I have been saying since January, I fully expect the Lightning to find a way to roll with a Roloson and Desjardins tandem next year. I hope I'm right and I'm sticking with my original analysis on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    If you are wondering about a big Kipper meltdown, do you see any signs he's headed for one? I sure don't! Stick with Kipper ... he has been playing great and we all know he's capable of playing this well in the final month. Every game he plays is more important than the last, but the same can't be said for Halak. I was expecting a better performance out of him against Detroit, but it didn't happen. I'd definitely roll with Kipper for the rest of this year, in your situation.
    Thanks, for the sanity. The voices in my head get more delusional and loud as the playoffs creep up.

Anywhoo, if i can bother you for just one more....

Lehner, two things: does he get a permanent roster spot w/ the Sens, and whether or not he does....how many starts does he get next year?

I have him in a dynasty league so I'm not in a hurry to start him. Just wondering if you'd like to speculate on next year.

Thanks, again!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sophomore

How does montoya and the island do for the rest of the season? That is what kind of stats can be expected of him? Is he a better own than holtby since holtby is probably done when he loses?

Banned

Hey Justin,

More a question in terms of next year... With the 3 headed monster in Washington, and me protecting Neuvirth in my keeper league (W, SO)

who will be getting majority of the starts (injuries aside) in Washington next year? Will Neuvy get about half at least, or what do you see happening? I can't see them going with 3 next year, so something's gotta give...

Should I even protect Neuvirth, or should I go for another fwd instead to avoid the whole mess in Washington..

Cheers, much appreciated!

Dutch

p.s. nice one, picking up Emery before you post this article in the Elite league hahaha!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Couple for you Justin.

Hiller was amazing this year before his ear infection or whatever it is. Do you see him posting similar numbers next year?

Markstrom ETA in a starters role - 2012-13?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Couple for you Justin.

Hiller was amazing this year before his ear infection or whatever it is. Do you see him posting similar numbers next year?

Markstrom ETA in a starters role - 2012-13?
    ditto...very interested in the answers to both these qsts, well done dyz

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Thanks, for the sanity. The voices in my head get more delusional and loud as the playoffs creep up.

Anywhoo, if i can bother you for just one more....

Lehner, two things: does he get a permanent roster spot w/ the Sens, and whether or not he does....how many starts does he get next year?

I have him in a dynasty league so I'm not in a hurry to start him. Just wondering if you'd like to speculate on next year.

Thanks, again!
    Lehner will probably not get a roster spot with Ottawa next year. He needs a full AHL season with many less distractions. Might get a callup or two, but he's not ready for the NHL and he's not a fit as a 20-25 game backup. He needs games, games and more games. So the best fit for him is playing 85-90% of the games in Binghamton. But we'll have to see what they sign Anderson for first, and whether or not they choose to retain McElhinney.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
    How does montoya and the island do for the rest of the season? That is what kind of stats can be expected of him? Is he a better own than holtby since holtby is probably done when he loses?
    I think he plays as steady as he has been, but the past two games he's given up some first period goals. Right now he's 7-2-3 with a .926 save % with a 2.09 GAA and a shutout.

I expect him to finish the season with close 12 or 13 wins, but closer to a .920 save % and 2.20 GAA and maybe 1-2 more shutouts at the most.

Good question regarding him and Holtby. I think he holds more value because he will play more games and face more shots. I think Holtby will win a few more games, but ultimately give up the net to Neuvirth in the next 2-4 games.