Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Byfuglien or McDonagh

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Byfuglien or McDonagh

Count another one in for Buff. I don't think the risk is really there that he loses D eligibility next year (in yahoo pools), and when he's D he is leaps and bounds ahead of McDonagh. Buff is basically OV-lite on defense.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I can't find the stats, but I'm fairly confident Buff played enough games at D last year to carry that position into next year at least for many of the stat providers. I wouldn't worry about his D status for next year, and would keep a close eye on how things progress next season. I think a safe bet for next season eligibility is something like 20 GP at the position, but some sites will list their eligibility requirements.

Chalk up another vote for Buff.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I was waiting for the even-strength point analysis from Pengwin here with so much talk about McDonagh's future potential.

Byfuglien: 56 P, 30 ESP, 26 PPP
    McDonagh: 43 P, 30 ESP, 13 PPP

I don't know if the fact that Buff played a bunch of time at forward skews things, or what kind of PPP numbers you would look for from a defensemen. We know Buff is a fixture on the WPG powerplay, so we can likely assume he'll see somewhere from 18-28 PPP a season, keeping him in the 45-60 point range, but what about McDonagh? Is the same opportunity there for him? I feel the Rangers are a bit more crowded on the powerplay and McDonagh's chances will be lower. Something in the range of 13-23 seem reasonable? Looks to me like McDonagh has at least a shot to see some improvement year to year, slotting him in the 40-55 point range. I don't know, correct me if this is off.

Based on that, it still looks like Buff is your man, especially with the stats he provides over McD in your league.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Looks to me like McDonagh has at least a shot to see some improvement year to year, slotting him in the 40-55 point range. I don't know, correct me if this is off.
    There always seems to be this belief that if a player is young he will continue to improve his numbers. McDonagh is a solid defenseman, but I don't think his ceiling is much higher than what he produced this year. I think in a career year you might see him hit 50 pts, but I think he'll consistently be 40-46 pts.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    There always seems to be this belief that if a player is young he will continue to improve his numbers. McDonagh is a solid defenseman, but I don't think his ceiling is much higher than what he produced this year. I think in a career year you might see him hit 50 pts, but I think he'll consistently be 40-46 pts.
    I don't necessarily disagree, 50 pionts is not easy to hit for a defenseman. I'm not actually saying McDonagh will improve at all, more that his 30 ESP will remain consistent, but his PPP total may fluctuate depending on responsability. Where I think he will be is likely in the 40-45 range, but depending on where those PPP can get to, he at least has a shot, allbeit a long one, at 50+.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I was waiting for the even-strength point analysis from Pengwin here with so much talk about McDonagh's future potential.

Byfuglien: 56 P, 30 ESP, 26 PPP
    McDonagh: 43 P, 30 ESP, 13 PPP

I don't know if the fact that Buff played a bunch of time at forward skews things, or what kind of PPP numbers you would look for from a defensemen. We know Buff is a fixture on the WPG powerplay, so we can likely assume he'll see somewhere from 18-28 PPP a season, keeping him in the 45-60 point range, but what about McDonagh? Is the same opportunity there for him? I feel the Rangers are a bit more crowded on the powerplay and McDonagh's chances will be lower. Something in the range of 13-23 seem reasonable? Looks to me like McDonagh has at least a shot to see some improvement year to year, slotting him in the 40-55 point range. I don't know, correct me if this is off.

Based on that, it still looks like Buff is your man, especially with the stats he provides over McD in your league.
    Maurice took over as head coach Jan. 12th. According to the Fantrax news section in Buff's bio, he first practiced at forward Jan. 9th and played forward in a game on Jan 11th. Shortly after this, Maurice announced that Buff would be staying at forward for the time being. So I'm going to use Jan 9th as a cutoff date for Buff's d numbers.

After that point Buff had 11 goals, 11 assists in his last 32 games. That's a 0.69 PPG pace, good for a 56 point pace over 82 games.

He had 12 ESP, and 10 PPP in 32 games as a forward.

He had 10 goals, 24 assists in his 46 games as a dman. That's a 0.74 PPG pace good for a 60 point pace over 82 games.

His PP/ES splits were 18 ESP and 16 PPP.

So more points overall as a forward, but still a very consistent ES/PP split.

So a slightly lower point pace as a forward surprisingly, although both are relatively small sample sizes. But fairly consistent splits between even strength and powerplay points.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson