Thread: Jerome Iginla's keeper value (assuming no season)

Dobber Sports Star

Default Jerome Iginla's keeper value (assuming no season)

What can be expected from Iggy over the next couple of years? Assuming the season is lost, is there ANY chance he retires?

How many 30+ years left in the tank?

thanks
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    What can be expected from Iggy over the next couple of years? Assuming the season is lost, is there ANY chance he retires?

thanks
    I would bank on at the very least another 3 good productive years. I can see 72, 67, and 64 points respecfully. After the age of 38, I'm not quite sure. I don't think retirement is in his immediate future. Perhaps he doesn't finish his career with the flames. Maybe he then sees a slight surge in his production with new linemates etc. One never knows...
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Zero chance that Iggy retires. He wants a cup - but he won't get it in Calgary

Dobber Sports Ace

thanks
    He's very committed to his fitness level. He spends a lot of time on keeping his body in the best possible shape. His body isn't breaking down either. He hasn't missed a game since 2006-2007 and he's only missed 42 games over his entire career. So that shouldn't be an issue yet. He's almost dedicated to it on an obsessive level.

Secondly, his point total is almost likely directly tied to his linemates/team's ability to score. Last season the Flames were bottom ten is goals scored per game. The year before that the team was top ten in scoring. The season before that one they were 2nd last in goals per game. 2008-2009 the Flames were again top 10 and coincidently Iginla had another 80 point season (89).

In fact all three times Iggy has scored less than 86 points since the lockout, it's been when the Flames haven't been in the top half of the league in goals per game. In those years when they were bottom ten in scoring, the Flames have had no more than 2 other players with 15 or more goals. While Iggy is a shooter, he's a much more effective player when he has someone to work with in a playmaking game. His norm is like 35-40 goals and 45-50 assists.

He's done absolutely nothing to show his game has dropped. Even in his up years goal wise, he's incredibly consistent keeping a shot percentage at 14.8 or 14.9 percent. When his goal total is closer to the low end its in the 11.9 to 12.7 percent.

So basically expect consistent play from Iggy. 30-35 goals and 30 to 40 assists if the Flames offense is bottom 15, and about 35-40 goals and 40-45 assists if the offense is top 15. Even his PPP have been remarkably consistent. Between 31-33 powerplay points in his up years and first down year, and 19 and 22 in his last two down years respectively.

There is really nothing to suggest that Iginla's play has dropped, just that in his level of teammates. And agreed with JoeSakic19, no chance Iggy retires.
    Last edited by theIceWookie; December 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
    He's very committed to his fitness level. He spends a lot of time on keeping his body in the best possible shape. His body isn't breaking down either. He hasn't missed a game since 2006-2007 and he's only missed 42 games over his entire career. So that shouldn't be an issue yet. He's almost dedicated to it on an obsessive level.

Secondly, his point total is almost likely directly tied to his linemates/team's ability to score. Last season the Flames were bottom ten is goals scored per game. The year before that the team was top ten in scoring. The season before that one they were 2nd last in goals per game. 2008-2009 the Flames were again top 10 and coincidently Iginla had another 80 point season (89).

In fact all three times Iggy has scored less than 86 points since the lockout, it's been when the Flames haven't been in the top half of the league in goals per game. In those years when they were bottom ten in scoring, the Flames have had no more than 2 other players with 15 or more goals. While Iggy is a shooter, he's a much more effective player when he has someone to work with in a playmaking game. His norm is like 35-40 goals and 45-50 assists.

He's done absolutely nothing to show his game has dropped. Even in his up years goal wise, he's incredibly consistent keeping a shot percentage at 14.8 or 14.9 percent. When his goal total is closer to the low end its in the 11.9 to 12.7 percent.

So basically expect consistent play from Iggy. 30-35 goals and 30 to 40 assists if the Flames offense is bottom 15, and about 35-40 goals and 40-45 assists if the offense is top 15. Even his PPP have been remarkably consistent. Between 31-33 powerplay points in his up years and first down year, and 19 and 22 in his last two down years respectively.

There is really nothing to suggest that Iginla's play has dropped, just that in his level of teammates. And agreed with JoeSakic19, no chance Iggy retires.
    Up to now, that has definitely been the case. At 35 (36 in July), I believe time will catch up with him soon enough. But I do think he has a couple of productive seasons left in him.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Up to now, that has definitely been the case. At 35 (36 in July), I believe time will catch up with him soon enough. But I do think he has a couple of productive seasons left in him.
    Well yeah he won't play forever. I just don't think there is any point in thinking it's soon.

I think it's very possible he plays at a high level similar to Selanne is currently. He no longer plays a power forward type game, a game that will cause his body to break down. This is clearly a complete guess but it has reason behind it.

But besides, fantasy hockey is best looking only three years ahead. I think it's safe he plays at a similar to last season or better pace for those years.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Wizard

"Jerome".............uh oh, grammar police are gonna get youuuuuuuuuu.

I think COD's projections are pretty good.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    "Jerome".............uh oh, grammar police are gonna get youuuuuuuuuu.

I think COD's projections are pretty good.

Cheers.
    OMG so embarrassed. Apologies, Jarome.

Interesting comments - I am debating going after Iggy and I am looking at a couple years of contention, so could be a great fit. His UFA status after this year is intriguing too.

Thanks.
    Last edited by loco man; December 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

The Wolverine

OMG so embarrassed. Apologies, Jarome.

Interesting comments - I am debating going after Iggy and I am looking at a couple years of contention, so could be a great fit. His UFA status after this year is intriguing too.

Thanks.
    I think this is a perfect time to go after Iginla in a keeper league, especially if are contending in the near future. Also, in a goal heavy league having a consistent 30+ goal scorer is extremely valuable. Should be interesting this season - if we have one. As reinjosh mentioned, his PPP dropped in down years and perhaps with Wideman (can't believe I'm suggesting he could be a key) they may get another boost. I'd be confident in 35-40 for the next couple of seasons. This is assuming he remains a Flame. Who knows what could happen if he ends up on a contending team with more firepower.

Of course, it all comes down to how Iginla's owner values him. But I would definitely look into it.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I think this is a perfect time to go after Iginla in a keeper league, especially if are contending in the near future. Also, in a goal heavy league having a consistent 30+ goal scorer is extremely valuable. Should be interesting this season - if we have one. As reinjosh mentioned, his PPP dropped in down years and perhaps with Wideman (can't believe I'm suggesting he could be a key) they may get another boost. I'd be confident in 35-40 for the next couple of seasons. This is assuming he remains a Flame. Who knows what could happen if he ends up on a contending team with more firepower.

Of course, it all comes down to how Iginla's owner values him. But I would definitely look into it.
    Think he's worth Lucic? I hate to lose 11 years if they are too close production wise. However, I think Lucic maxes as a 30-30 guy and Iggy still has a shot at 40. I am looking at a 2 year window of contending with St. Louis and Marleau aboard. If lucic has 40 goal potential, I gotta stand pat.

Thoughts?

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Genius

Think he's worth Lucic? I hate to lose 11 years if they are too close production wise. However, I think Lucic maxes as a 30-30 guy and Iggy still has a shot at 40. I am looking at a 2 year window of contending with St. Louis and Marleau aboard. If lucic has 40 goal potential, I gotta stand pat.

Thoughts?
    I would take "Jarome" over Lucic 10x out of 10 here and not think twice about it. Especially in your goal heavy CATS.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    I would take "Jarome" over Lucic 10x out of 10 here and not think twice about it. Especially in your goal heavy CATS.
    Lucic's high end in goals and points has been Iggys low end.

G - Murray, Grubauer