Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a big trade...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Need help with a big trade...

12 team H2H
    Keep 8 + 10 farm (<=82 GP & <=24 years old)
    Start: 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G
    Stats: G=4, A=3, PPP=3, SHG=3, PIM=0.5, +/-=1, BLK=0.5, SOG=0.2 / W=3, GA=-1, SV=0.3, SHO=3

Current keepers: 1. Malkin (C/RW), 2. Tavares (C), 3. Kopitar (C), 4. Zetterberg (C/LW), 5. Weber (D), 6. Miller (G), 7. Luongo (G), 8. Brown (LW/RW) or Burrows (LW/RW) or Okposo (RW).

Farm: Tarasenko, Markstrom, Bernier, Baertschi, Bjugstad, Murphy, Orlov, Josefson, Watson, Colborne.

Offer on the table is:

Tyler Seguin, David Rundblad, Ben Bishop for 1st round (8th overall), 1st round (9th overall), Tarasenko, Markstrom.

Really torn on this as my 8th keeper is relatively weak but I don't want to destroy my draft or my farm. If I made this trade, my draft would look like: 2/21, 3/27, 4/44, 6/68, 8/92, 9/97, 9/104, 10/111, 10/116, 11/128, 12/140, 13/152, 14/164, 15/176.

What do you guys think? Pull the trigger and get a budding superstar as my 8th keeper, but hurt my draft & farm? Or stand pat with Dustin Brown likely as my last keeper, retain my 2 first round picks, and keep my farm strong? Help much appreciated! Thanks.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Take Seguin and don't look back. He is going to be the man in Boston -- if he's not already -- very soon.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gregg View Post
    Take Seguin and don't look back. He is going to be the man in Boston -- if he's not already -- very soon.
    Easy now.... Not so fast. Seguin is a nice piece but you are stacked at Center. I'm going to assume that Seguin is dual position, so that helps. But if he turns to be a single position at center his value for you is drastically reduced. You already have Malkin, Tavares, Kopitar, and Zetterberg at Center.

It really depends on what you are giving up with those first rounders. Plus losing Markstrom and Taresenko isn't the most appealing option either.

Don't get me wrong, I am torn on this one because Seguin has some real promise. But his problem is that he could very well be a #1 center, and that is a deep position in fantasy hockey. Nevermind the fact that you already have two studs (Malkin, JT), AND you get to use Kopitar at center to slide Geno to the wing.

I just have a really tough time accepting the deal for another top center. I'd rather make that move for a legit Winger like Ovie or Perry.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Wizard

I actually own Seguin in a league and value him highly, but with your positions - LW, etc. I'd actually keep what you have. Tara on the wing will be very valuable. And as previously stated, you are loaded at C. I like where your roster is at. You have Markstrom in the wings, rewdy to replace Luongo. I wouldn't mess that up.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
    Easy now.... Not so fast. Seguin is a nice piece but you are stacked at Center. I'm going to assume that Seguin is dual position, so that helps. But if he turns to be a single position at center his value for you is drastically reduced. You already have Malkin, Tavares, Kopitar, and Zetterberg at Center.

It really depends on what you are giving up with those first rounders. Plus losing Markstrom and Taresenko isn't the most appealing option either.

Don't get me wrong, I am torn on this one because Seguin has some real promise. But his problem is that he could very well be a #1 center, and that is a deep position in fantasy hockey. Nevermind the fact that you already have two studs (Malkin, JT), AND you get to use Kopitar at center to slide Geno to the wing.

I just have a really tough time accepting the deal for another top center. I'd rather make that move for a legit Winger like Ovie or Perry.
    He does have 3 forward positions in his starting roster though, so the argument against taking a C is substantially weakened. However, I am also not sure the value is there - as you asked, what will those 1st round picks bring him? Since I don't see Rundblad or Bishop being kept, it seems like Markstrom, Tarasenko, Brown and the two picks is a heck of a lot to pay for Seguin. I think the deal is too rich and would likely pass.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Have to disagree. It's all about assets and Seguin is going to be a stud.

Take him and move Zetterberg if need be.

Be a shuffe demon.

In a year or two -- or when hockey comes back -- Seguin's value will rise and you will be a able to get even a better package coming back than Tarasenko, Markstrom and picks.

Dobber Sports Initiate

My gut tells me that this is too steep. The issue for me is that the drop-off for the next two years, say, isn't going to be that extreme from Seguin to Brown or Burrows. Okposo is a bit of a wild card as far as I'm concerned, and he could end up being more valuable than Burrows or Brown, but I just don't see it. Seguin could, potentially, explode and hit 100 points next year, but the way Boston is structured has me thinking that probably won't happen.

Some rough numbers I ran said that Seguin finished with ~375 points last year to Brown's ~330 and Burrow's ~315. The disparity is undeniable, but I don't think it justifies letting 4 top assets go. You can surely make up the difference with the 8th and 9th picks in the draft, right? Additionally, Tarasenko and Markstrom aren't actually that far behind Seguin. By the time the difference between Brown and Burrows is really too wide to ignore Tarasenko and Markstrom will there to step into those spots anyways.

Dobber Sports Pro

I believe it's a little too steep too. Markstrom and Tarasenko aren't that far from being NHL regulars. Not that they are a lock for being stars, but they definitely have the pedigree to do that.

If you could one of your first round picks reduced to a 2nd or 3rd, I'd be much more inclined to take the offer.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Initiate

The other GM and I have been talking some more on this. I initially countered with my 2nd rounder instead of 9th overall which he declined. He's now agreeing to add his 4th round pick to the original deal. So it's now Seguin, Rundblad, Bishop, 4th (#39) for Tarasenko, Markstrom, 1st (#8), 1st (#9). Is this enough to sway me? I'm still fighting myself on this! Argh.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    The other GM and I have been talking some more on this. I initially countered with my 2nd rounder instead of 9th overall which he declined. He's now agreeing to add his 4th round pick to the original deal. So it's now Seguin, Rundblad, Bishop, 4th (#39) for Tarasenko, Markstrom, 1st (#8), 1st (#9). Is this enough to sway me? I'm still fighting myself on this! Argh.
    Hmmm, let me try breaking it down.

Rundblad + 4th (#30) ---> 1st (#8) I'd call this reasonable.
    Seguin ----> Tarasenko + 1st (#9) I think you could reasonably argue this.
    Bishop ---> Markstrom Not even close.

Still doesn't really work for me.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

I'd be very tempted to make this trade as Seguin is a proven commodity whereas Tarasenko is not. Its a limited keeper, so adding as asset like Seguin should not be ignored. Your draft picks, while quite nice 1st rounders, may never make much of an impact, so letting them go shouldn't matter too much. If it was a top 3 pick, different story.

I'd try to sell him Bernier instead of Markstrom and push on him that Seguin probably won't be that much better than Tarasenko. I'd also try to sell him harder on the idea that this is two pretty good 1st rounders.

Even if he won't budge, having Bernier as your goalie going forward is not that bad an option as he was rated very highly until Quick decided to be a superstar goalie.

I'd do the trade for the assets you get to put into place now as I think it gives you a greater chance of winning the whole thing.

Dobber Sports Ninja

For what it's worth, I think Seguin is going to be a 90+ point superstar in the near future so at first glance I'd be inclined to keep him.

It all depends on the calibre of players you can get with those 2 first rounders. Give us some examples of names that might be available.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    For what it's worth, I think Seguin is going to be a 90+ point superstar in the near future so at first glance I'd be inclined to keep him.

It all depends on the calibre of players you can get with those 2 first rounders. Give us some examples of names that might be available.
    The 2012 draft class will be fair game (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, etc). Best players I'm anticipating will not be kept include OEL, Shattenkirk, M. Koivu, Stastny, D. Boyle, Lecavalier, Havlat, Moulson, Brodeur, B. Elliott, Burrows & Okposo (if I don't keep either), Anderson, Carlson, Fowler, Kulikov, Enstrom, Pavelec, Franzen, Pominville, Krejci, P. Bergeron, Elias, Del Zotto, Stepan, Heatley.
    Last edited by maya has the knife; December 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I REALLY hate to pass on Seguin on pretty much any trade not involving a top 5 player going back but in this case I think you have to pass.

With guys like OEL, Shatts, Koivu, Bergeron, Statsny, etc left on the board (not to mention the likelyhood that top tier 2012 draft class player will be left as well) giving up your two 1st rounders is a lot when you consider you also have to add two premier prospects in Markstrom and Tarasenko as well.

That's simply too much for Seguin.

If you think about it...this trade could really end up being something similar to this:

You get: Seguin, "depth fantasy player", Runblad, and Bishop

For your: Statsny, Shattenkirk, Markstrom, and Tarasenko

I LOVE Seguin but I think the price is too high.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Padawan

agree with above. too much quality meat available in the draft where your 1st rounders fall. Seguin is a great piece and likely an elite guy going forward, but you're giving up too much.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey