• Hall

14 29.79%
  • Giroux

33 70.21%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Giroux vs. Hall

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Giroux vs. Hall

Hall may be 2nd in this poll I started, but he's 1st in my heart after a bangin' start in my H2H finals match: 1G, 3A, 1 PPP, 10 SOG, 2 hits, 1 bs in tonight's loss to the Sharks. Wowza!!!! 3 more games this week, keep it up Hallsy!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Monster

Hall has the same points per game as Giroux, for all the hoopla G is getting lately. Just sayin'.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow136 View Post
    Hall has the same points per game as Giroux, for all the hoopla G is getting lately. Just sayin'.
    Kind of why I started this thread/poll. IMO Hall and his fantastic season haven't gotten the respect that they deserve.......Hall's relatively healthy and extremely productive season has been overshadowed by all the "Oilers are a train-wreck" headlines. The fact that he's been as consistent as he's been on such a gong-show of a team makes it that much more impressive. Last night we saw what he can do when he has some skilled line-mates that are clicking. If the Nuge can elevate his game like that next year, it bodes very well for Hall. Defences are going to have to show Nuge and his shot more respect, and that will open up a lot more shooting lanes for Hall.

Nice to see the 10 sog, as Hall hasn't been firing the puck a ton lately. He's got a fantastic shot, he needs to start letting it rip more often, especially on the PP.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I think this also depends on whether your league counts FW, because Giroux definitely has an edge there.
    Exactly my thoughts. With RW eligibility, Giroux is the better player with FOW.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. With RW eligibility, Giroux is the better player with FOW.
    No doubt about this. My league doesn't count them, so I think their value is a lot closer than most think in my case. The major difference in their ranking/value this season is due to Hall's horrid +/- (which can fluctuate year to year and I put little stock in), and him missing 6-7 games earlier in the season. I think these 2 players are a good example of perceived vs. actual value. Giroux has much higher perceived or "name" value compared to Hall who tends to be associated with the woeful Oilers and frequent injuries. Giroux landed me Karlsson in a trade, no one would touch Hall with a 10 foot pole and he's now well over a ppg for the season.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Giroux is as good as we are going to see. He is without a doubt one of the premiere players in the league, both NHL and fantasy. Taylor Hall isn't even close to filling out his full potential. He has so much room to grow as a player, but in the NHL and in fantasy.

I will choose the guy who is playing close to Giroux, fantasy wise, and isn't close to reaching his potential. I am going with Taylor Hall.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think Giroux is as good as we are going to see. He is without a doubt one of the premiere players in the league, both NHL and fantasy. Taylor Hall isn't even close to filling out his full potential. He has so much room to grow as a player, but in the NHL and in fantasy.

I will choose the guy who is playing close to Giroux, fantasy wise, and isn't close to reaching his potential. I am going with Taylor Hall.
    Tough to argue with that reasoning. I fully agree that Hall hasn't touched his true potential yet. He's achieved all that he has thus far on an overmatched and underachieving team, and while still showing signs of improvement all the time. I just hope he stays healthy enough to realize his full potential.

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm going to double-down on my choice of Taylor Hall here. Despite the fact that I was probably wrong about Giroux's 90-point season being an outlier (given how well he's played since the first 15 games of this season), I still think Taylor Hall provides gets the edge because of his higher production in Goals / SOG, and the fact that he still has a toon of room to develop. Giroux is only 26, but he's basically in his peak seasons right now. Hall is only going to get better, and is still putting up great numbers this season on an awful team, personally having a "down" year. If +/- were entirely out of the equation, Hall and Giroux would be relatively close in value in standard Yahoo! leagues; if the Oilers can improve (I know, I know ...), then Hall's +/- rating will improve, and ultimately when coupled with the offensive progression that I expect, his value will probably exceed Giroux in lots of formats.

It's speculative, but I'm still going with Taylor Hall here.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

If it weren't for Giroux's mega slump to start the season, I don't think this would warrant as much discussion right now.

I'll be the first admit that I've always been down on Hall, and he's gain a lot of credibility in my eyes for staying relatively healthy this season, but I would still take Giroux over him without any hesitation. I don't think the age argument holds much water here... they're only 3 years apart, and Giroux's only 26 so it's not like he's an old man, nor is Taylor Hall still 18.

I don't agree that 90 points is Giroux's ceiling. I think he is capable of 100+. He's led the league and outscored Crosby since the start of the calendar year - chew on that one.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    If it weren't for Giroux's mega slump to start the season, I don't think this would warrant as much discussion right now.

I'll be the first admit that I've always been down on Hall, and he's gain a lot of credibility in my eyes for staying relatively healthy this season, but I would still take Giroux over him without any hesitation. I don't think the age argument holds much water here... they're only 3 years apart, and Giroux's only 26 so it's not like he's an old man, nor is Taylor Hall still 18.

I don't agree that 90 points is Giroux's ceiling. I think he is capable of 100+. He's led the league and outscored Crosby since the start of the calendar year - chew on that one.
    Cherry pick a time frame and everyone has outscored Crosby over some period. If anything, you can at least argue that Hall is more consistent than Giroux and not prone to slumps through the year.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Cherry pick a time frame and everyone has outscored Crosby over some period. If anything, you can at least argue that Hall is more consistent than Giroux and not prone to slumps through the year.
    I don't think outscoring a healthy Crosby over more than half an entire season is something to sneeze at... it's not like I'm "cherry picking" a sample set of a couple weeks here.

Who else has pulled off that feat this year? Hell... who else has done it over the last 3 years? The only guys I would imagine who would be in that conversation would be Stamkos and Malkin.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't think outscoring a healthy Crosby over more than half an entire season is something to sneeze at... it's not like I'm "cherry picking" a sample set of a couple weeks here.

Who else has pulled off that feat this year? Hell... who else has done it over the last 3 years? The only guys I would imagine who would be in that conversation would be Stamkos and Malkin.
    Well. Giroux does have the advantage of a two week break that Sid doesn't....however this isn't a Sid/Giroux thread.

Dobber Sports Monster

As a Hall owner I would still trade him and then some to get Giroux. But I also think Hall might be a bit underrated in fantasy hockey circles because of his injury riddled career. If he had stayed somewhat healthy in his early yearts he would probably have three 70+ point, maybe 80+ point seasons and and would be considered a fantasy force with massive upside given that he is still a very young 22 years old. Yes, he is injury prone, but so are Malkin and Crosby. If we're talking upside, I see no reason why Hall can't log a few 90 point seasons in his career. His 50 pts in 45 games last year translates to a 91 pt pace, for what that's worth. He's shown that getting above a point per game isn't difficult for him. For some reason people don't see big upside with him and I'm not sure why given his points per game pace has been so high so early in his career.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry