Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHLPA's next move: decertification?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default NHLPA's next move: decertification?

Seems to be the word of the day on twitter for anyone talking lockout today.

Not sure what it really means? Check out Bob MacKenzie's latest blog:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410081

He spells it out fairly clearly and saves me a ton of typing. From what I am reading, its certainly something the players are taking a look at.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Just a negotiation tactic by the PA.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Just a negotiation tactic by the PA.
    True, for now, but its still an option for them going forward. I hope this wasnt Fehr's plan B.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Sure it's an option, but does it actually help the process or does it create another battle front that will just prolong the lockout?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

After reading a few different articles on the process I can't see it being anything more than a really complicated negotiating ploy.

I just want the NHL to come back - but not at the expense of having a league that is a free for all like that soccer crap overseas.

If it's a strange legal step that expedites finding a resolution then they can go crazy.

If it "actually" means they will end up creating free agents galore and going to the highest bidder etc then I am done with the NHL completely. I have sat through two decades of garbage hockey as an Oiler fan and to think that those players could suddenly just be tossed into the open market and picked up by the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs at exorbitent salaries while I have to watch the early 90s all over again - it's not happening.

It would kill the fanbase in most cities.

Now, realistically I can't see the situation ever getting that far, so hey ... why not. Fire away ... do what needs to be done, and let's get the teams back on the ice.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Sure it's an option, but does it actually help the process or does it create another battle front that will just prolong the lockout?
    Could go either way. In NBA it certainly helped:

1 year ago today we were taking timing of NBPA disclaimer & antitrust Armageddon destroying the season. Tentative deal was reached next day.
    https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/sta...89876042387456
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Could go either way. In NBA it certainly helped:

https://twitter.com/SportsLawGuy/sta...89876042387456
    You may be right. They are actually not that far apart and taking those steps could force some final movement. But if the PA does this they should do it with fast negotiation in mind to settle the lockout and not to just cause a mess.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    After reading a few different articles on the process I can't see it being anything more than a really complicated negotiating ploy.

I just want the NHL to come back - but not at the expense of having a league that is a free for all like that soccer crap overseas.

If it's a strange legal step that expedites finding a resolution then they can go crazy.

If it "actually" means they will end up creating free agents galore and going to the highest bidder etc then I am done with the NHL completely. I have sat through two decades of garbage hockey as an Oiler fan and to think that those players could suddenly just be tossed into the open market and picked up by the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs at exorbitent salaries while I have to watch the early 90s all over again - it's not happening.

It would kill the fanbase in most cities.

Now, realistically I can't see the situation ever getting that far, so hey ... why not. Fire away ... do what needs to be done, and let's get the teams back on the ice.
    as a rangers fan i dont want this either. we have our best team in years and we tried BUYING the cup in the late 90's earlie 2000's. it doesnt work.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Prodigy

This is most definitely a negotiation ploy, and a good one, but the players better be 100% on board. If it goes through it will END lots of player careers, and screw over the 3rd/4th liners. If it happens a couple of points other reporters have brought up:

1) NFL decertified, but the anti-trust cases were denied by a superior court 3 times (after a lower court approved), so there is a presidense set. (as per the hockey Guru Bob McKenzie).

2) If it is dragged out in court, look for no 2013-2014 season either.

3) Sure players have a free-for-all, but only the elite players. AND goodbye pension, benefits, perks (hotels/travel/etc), and bye-bye lots of jobs as teams would most definitely fold.

4) Good bye NHL, as it won't be watchable

I think they may go this route as just a threat, after all it worked in the NFL and NBA negotiations....but what did the players really "gain" in those deals...not much, they are at about 50-50, or worse. Players better know what they are signing up for...but I guess that they should have since they hired Fehr!!

Keeper League #1: Keeper League #2:
    12 GM Total Points (Multi-Cat) Keep 10 + 2 Farm 12 GM H2H (Multicat) Keep 12 + 10 Farm
    C: RNH
    LW: Landeskog Galchenyuk Ovechkin
    RW: Tarasenko
    F: Pacioretty Lucic
    D: Karlsson OEL Green
    G: Quick Price
    F: Draisaitl Vatanen
    C: Backstrom Stamkos Kopitar
    LW: Pacioretty Schwartz Palat
    RW: Kucherov Hornqvist Nash
    D: Klingberg Faulk J.Johnson Streit
    G: Bernier Dubnyk Hutchinson
    B: Drouin B.Ritchie Jaskins Krejci
    Farm: Kuznetsov Domi Jones Ho-Sang Deangelo Hellebyuck

Dobber Sports Initiate

My feeling is they go this route out of pure hatred now. Sadly, at the stage this is at, I do not believe any deal can be reached as long as Fehr and Bettman are at the lead on their respective sides.
    12 team keeper league. 8 keepers/team.
    Skater Pts: goal = 2, assist =1, +/-, PIM = .5
    Goalie Pts: win = 5, SO = 3, Sv = .1, GA = -.9

FORWARDS:
    C. Giroux, I. Kovalchuk, E. Malkin, D. Clarkson, D. Perron, J. Pominville, J. Tootoo, R. Mason, R. Nash, J. Iginla, S. Gagner, R. O'Reilly, T. Bozak
    DEFENSE:
    C. Letang, Mike Green, A. Edler, N. Kronwall, D. Engelland, K. Yandle, B. Dillon, P. Martin
    GOALIES:
    R. Miller, J. Quick J. Hiller, C. Nilstorp

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like this move by the NHLPA... I like it a lot.

Obviously it's never going to practically happen as the league would implode, but setting this tone definitely will accelerate the process closer towards a resolution.

It is important that the players show a united front right now in supporting this and that there is no wavering.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I like this move by the NHLPA... I like it a lot.

Obviously it's never going to practically happen as the league would implode, but setting this tone definitely will accelerate the process closer towards a resolution.

It is important that the players show a united front right now in supporting this and that there is no wavering.
    Absolutely true about the unification. However, it's not needed for the threat of decertification. It's gotta be making Bettman and his crew a little anxious.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Stud

the thing about every one of these negotiations is that we all know there is are area that both sides will be happy with. as time and investment into the negotiations goes on, both sides feel they have already sacrificed and as a result deserve more, so the overlap in acceptable deals gets smaller and smaller.

The threat of decertifications is really a classic "this is my ball, and i am taking it and going home", but a lock out is the exact same move on the other side. Once both sides have laid their cards out, and have shown that they will not fold, the hope is that both sides are willing to go back and find that deal that makes them all feel like they got something.

This entire process is marred by a bad deal the last time around: the NHL wanted a cap very badly, and sacrificed a lot in the raw numbers to get it. The players were sitting on a 57% share of revinue- most other leagues are much closer to a 50/50 split, and most of the other leagues have a much higher revinue (remember that the fixed costs are all fairly similar, and those things come out of the owners half). In the NHL with a smaller pie, and the teams getting a smaller part of a small pie, they simply could not make money. There are a few teams that did very will in this system, but most did not.

We get to these negotiations, and we now have a bigger pie, so it should not matter as much to cover expenses since they are still relativly fixed figures and the NHL overall still netted a profit off of the old deal. It did become apparent that some teams could not survive in this set up since thier fixed cost are above teh 43% they were receiving, so there was no way from them to turn a profit. Both sides came to the table to discuss solutions. The players wanted the rich teams to share their money with the poor teams. The league wants the players to just take a smaller portion. Both are solutions to the same problem. one has a few rich teams paying the bill, the other has the players paying the bill.

Decertification actully makes the leauges stance even sillier since there are no longer players at all, so there is no one to foot the bill. The reality is that the players are getting too big of a slice of the pie (50/50 is what every other league gets, since you are above it, give in and go to 50), but the league needs to expand profit sharing with other teams. in another 5-10 years they will be in this situation again, and if there is already revinue sharing owners will not complain about doing it more every time.

Both sides just have come to the point that neither wants to give up too much since they have already sacrificed. Personally i like the idea of a mediator or arbitrator in these cases since there clearly is an intent to be bound on both sides. they need each other to survive, it is just a matter of figureing out a way make both sides content (we are beyond a win win situation, we are down to nobody cries option)
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    Absolutely true about the unification. However, it's not needed for the threat of decertification. It's gotta be making Bettman and his crew a little anxious.
    Actually being united is needed for decertification as they HAVE to vote by a majority to even start the process. Until the process is started the NHL will treat it like an empty threat. But as I said, if they start it, they better be prepare to live with the consequences afterward...most of these players need an education from someone other than the Fehr's.

Keeper League #1: Keeper League #2:
    12 GM Total Points (Multi-Cat) Keep 10 + 2 Farm 12 GM H2H (Multicat) Keep 12 + 10 Farm
    C: RNH
    LW: Landeskog Galchenyuk Ovechkin
    RW: Tarasenko
    F: Pacioretty Lucic
    D: Karlsson OEL Green
    G: Quick Price
    F: Draisaitl Vatanen
    C: Backstrom Stamkos Kopitar
    LW: Pacioretty Schwartz Palat
    RW: Kucherov Hornqvist Nash
    D: Klingberg Faulk J.Johnson Streit
    G: Bernier Dubnyk Hutchinson
    B: Drouin B.Ritchie Jaskins Krejci
    Farm: Kuznetsov Domi Jones Ho-Sang Deangelo Hellebyuck

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by RyWill09 View Post
    Actually being united is needed for decertification as they HAVE to vote by a majority to even start the process. Until the process is started the NHL will treat it like an empty threat. But as I said, if they start it, they better be prepare to live with the consequences afterward...most of these players need an education from someone other than the Fehr's.
    I bet my house that most players don't even understand the ramifications of "delinkage" let alone "decertification". I find it very convenient that Fehr has never used the former term in his leaked memos AKA PR stunts.

If the NHL calls the PA on this bluff, most likely half of the current NHLPA members (those 3rd/4th liners)will never play again in 2 years time. Guess what, I wouldn't give a rat ass about them because they are simply too dumb to understand the number Fehr did on them.