Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch owners... Any tips?

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Apple Watch owners... Any tips?

Hi all, just got an Apple Watch (Nike ed. series 2) a few weeks ago and until now, I really like it. The activity rings are cool and help me keep track of my daily stats that I set for myself. The heart rate monitor is pretty accurate and helpful. Getting my phone notifications and messages is a sweet bonus. I've installed a few running and golf GPS apps but I have yet to use them.

Once all the dust settles though, I was wondering if there were any added features to this device. In terms of apps, do you guys and gals recommend any? As for games, I'm content with my checkers but would love to add anything remotely more entertaining as well

Oh and I have yet to put it in water... I know it's waterproof 50m, but I'm still hesitant to shower/swim with it on. Do any of you own a series 2 and if so, am I just being overcautious? Also, I wasn't able to find info on the water temperature limits (i.e. does it withstand spa, bath and/or shower water temperatures?)

PS: no need to answer all or any my questions for that matter; feel free to share anything you please about the watch and I'm sure most owners can benefit from it!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Apple Watch owners... Any tips?

I own one, and to be honest, I like it but the technology isn't where it needs to be for me to consider it to be worth the money spent on it. I used to manage a restaurant, so walking around the floor and getting text or email notifications and looking at my watch was great, especially at a time where I never would be able to whip out my phone at the time to check.

No question, what it does, it does well. I don't have much need for it anymore. I have disabled all of the activity notifications which were cool at first, but started driving me crazy after a while. The notification which vibrates and shows directions when driving using maps is SUPER helpful. I use the countdown timer which vibrates CONSTANTLY.

I have never showered with it, but I often wash the dished with it on. It is fully submerged in soapy water for a second or two at a time and I have never had any issue with it.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    The notification which vibrates and shows directions when driving using maps is SUPER helpful.
    So true! I was in New York last week and I used my phone with wifi in my hotel room to map out certain stores/restaurants to go to around Time Square and Central Park. I then used my watch's MAPS app without any data since everything had already be preloaded using wifi and I ended up walking over 25K steps but got around the city without any issues.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

The Magnificent One

The Apple Watch has been a huge misfire and you're one of many with at least some buyer's remorse
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

From the way it sounds they don’t, but they recognize it can go further. Reminds me of when I got my first Android (ACER). The phone was bad, but I saw the potential in Android. I broke that one dropping it, got an iPhone for a year and jumped back to Android.

I’d have an Android watch if it wasn’t for where I work. I’m working with my hands and I’d be afraid of smashing the face of it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

I don't see the potential in the smart watch industry.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I don't see the potential in the smart watch industry.
    Considering Apple just reported a 52 billion dollar quarter and 11 billion dollar quarterly bottom line profit, I would say that there are those out there who would disagree with this. The Smart watch market is expected to grow from a 10 billion dollar a year industry to a 17 billion dollar a year industry by 2021 :-)

Rylant

The Great One

I think only 2.something billion was from watches. And that's about 80% of the smart watch market.

I don't know. I don't see it. I think in 5 years we are going to be laughing about the smart watch, or how it is viewed today.

Dobber Sports Titan

Prices should be less for the watch, because it’s a style thing and, I personally, rather be wearing a $400 Swiss watch vs a $400 Apple watch.

You can get like $40 ones on Amazon and I’ve been debating on getting one of those

Dobber Sports Giant

This is the one I have:

Ironically, I hated the Apple watch design when it first came out but the Nike+ model is pretty slick! I know it's just the bracelet + the background that are different from the original design but I really like the different look to it.

Minors:

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Prices should be less for the watch, because it’s a style thing and, I personally, rather be wearing a $400 Swiss watch vs a $400 Apple watch.

You can get like $40 ones on Amazon and I’ve been debating on getting one of those
    For me, it's a functionality thing, not a style thing.

Rylant

Banned

The function and pros should be worth the price you are paying for.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have apple pay on there so it's great when you are paying for something since you don't even have to take your phone out. I also have air pods and the watch allows you to control the volume when sync'd. You can also upload a playlist directly to your watch and go for a run with your wireless headphones while not having to carry your phone with you. Also I have like 5 different bands now which I order off ebay for about $5-10 that way you can change the whole look of your watch to match your outfit or whatnot. Works just fine in water, theres this cool function which literally drains it out of the watch while it vibrates. Can't beat the functionality of the watch if you have an iPhone. Haters are always gonna hate on Apple, yes it costs more, but i'm sure you work hard for your money and screw what anyone thinks about how you spend it. Enjoy your new watch

Dobber Sports Titan

^ I find more Apple people hate Android than the other way around.

Apple is the best when connecting all your devices together seamlessly tho. iPad, iPhone, Macbook, Apple TV, Apple Watch and all that work well together. Android, since so many different companies out there using it, are still behind. But this may because LG has a better phone, but Samsung has a better tablet so you buy based on that, and not brand. Maybe if you have all LG stuff it would work well...

The Great One

Apple just announcing a revolutionary iWatch.

An untethered and cellular watch is huge news. Especially with all the health benefits their planning with their newest watches.