Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Extension]Cowboys, Romo agree to 6yr deal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default [Extension]Cowboys, Romo agree to 6yr deal

The groundhog saw his shadow, six more years of mediocrity.

The full the deal is six years, $108m. Small price to pay for the creme de la creme of choke artists.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-108m-contract
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Administrator

I think the Romo choke artist thing is a overblown but there's no question in my mind that he isn't an elite quarterback, especially since Jerry Jones' insanity (senility?) has made him one of the worst owner/GMs in the NFL so he's never going to put enough talent around Romo for him to ever truly succeed.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think the Romo choke artist thing is a overblown but there's no question in my mind that he isn't an elite quarterback, especially since Jerry Jones' insanity (senility?) has made him one of the worst owner/GMs in the NFL so he's never going to put enough talent around Romo for him to ever truly succeed.
    I think the choke artist label is fitting. There's very few who wilt under pressure like Romo. Yes some of it is the supporting cast, but a lot of it is on him.

Don't even get me started on Jerry Jones, his ego has killed this team.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I think the choke artist label is fitting. There's very few who wilt under pressure like Romo. Yes some of it is the supporting cast, but a lot of it is on him.

Don't even get me started on Jerry Jones, his ego has killed this team.
    I just think that sometimes these guys are set up to fail by circumstance and the fact that they are actually good makes it worse because when you have talent you can overcome poor circumstances sometimes or at least stave off the doom for a little while, which only makes it worse when it all comes crumbling down.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I just think that sometimes these guys are set up to fail by circumstance and the fact that they are actually good makes it worse because when you have talent you can overcome poor circumstances sometimes or at least stave off the doom for a little while, which only makes it worse when it all comes crumbling down.
    Romo's biggest problem is right between his ears. At times he shows a lot of talent, but just when he starts to really get rolling he suffers brain cramps and makes some truly hideous plays. His greatest asset is also his greatest liability. He can use his athleticism to keep plays alive and deliver some huge plays. But at the same time he lacks the critical decision making to know when to just give up on a play. He ends up forcing the issue when the wiser course is to just cut your losses and it comes back to bite him in the ass.

In this case I see why the Cowboys signed him, who else do they have or can they get. I think most people who question this are like me it's just the term and the money. He got Flacco money, and I think we all agree the later was overpaid. But at least in Flacco's case he's won more than one playoff game.

The biggest winner out of all of this is going to be Aaron Rodgers. If Flacco and Romo are getting this kind of money, good lord what is a guy like him going to get.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great post above me. Romo has all the tools but maybe an insufficient toolbox. This contract appears to be sheer lunacy.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dongjohnson View Post
    Great post above me. Romo has all the tools but maybe an insufficient toolbox. This contract appears to be sheer lunacy.
    The toolbox is a good analogy. Romo is that guy that occasionally forgets to close the latch and when he picks it up the toolbox falls opens and scatters the tools all over the floor.

Administrator

I'm not gonna pretend like Romo is outstanding but seriously give this guy a better line and I think a lot of this stuff goes away. I look at him as a weaker version of Flacco. He's physically capable (although I don't think his arm strength is the greatest) and has some good athleticism but if he doesn't have a good line or good coaching he can only do so much. And yeah, it falls on him to still be able to make good decisions but again he needs help. Unless you are like Peyton Manning who is basically his own coach you need help.

So I just think the whole Romo choke artist thing is a bit overblown. I mean, if he's the 12th or so best quarterback in the league then he's going to wind up against better talent in big moments and that's going to allow him to look bad if things don't go right.

I think that somewhere around half the teams would love to add him to the mix, which is why he gets this contract.

Bottom line, there are only so many quarterbacks that could win you three/four in a row to win you a Super Bowl in the league and Romo is right on that borderline so you have to pay him because that's what the NFL is with the rule changes increasing the importance of the already heavily important quarterback position.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Out of 32 starting qb's in the league, how many would you take over Romo? I'm having a tough time thinking of 10. Romo has not been the reason for the cowboys mediocrity. It's the team around him that should be to blame. Good move on the cowboys to lock up a top 10 qb.

Saying anything positive about the boys is hard. God I hate dem cowboys.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Give your head a shake.

Cowboys are a joke lol.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Out of 32 starting qb's in the league, how many would you take over Romo? I'm having a tough time thinking of 10. Romo has not been the reason for the cowboys mediocrity. It's the team around him that should be to blame. Good move on the cowboys to lock up a top 10 qb.

Saying anything positive about the boys is hard. God I hate dem cowboys.
    I can give about 10 or so but I agree that you've got to lock down a good quarterback even if he isn't the best because the grass is not always greener. Anyway, here's my list:

Aaron Rodgers
    Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Ryan
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Drew Brees
    Colin Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

That's 12 but that means there's still half a league out there wishing they had what you had but I will admit there are some guys on the borderline here:

Cam Newton
    Jay Culter
    Andy Dalton
    Matt Schaub
    Philip Rivers
    Matthew Stafford

I think Romo is better than those guys but I wouldn't fight you for very long if you wanted to say one of them was better. So at the absolute worst Romo is the 18th best QB in the league but has an argument to warrant he should be placed higher and with some of the guys on the list he has both age and health on his side to throw at the Cowboys and again there's the reality that the rest of the league would bend over backwards to have Romo at QB, which is still 14 or so teams.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I can give about 10 or so but I agree that you've got to lock down a good quarterback even if he isn't the best because the grass is not always greener. Anyway, here's my list:

Aaron Rodgers
    Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Ryan
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Drew Brees
    Colin Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

That's 12 but that means there's still half a league out there wishing they had what you had but I will admit there are some guys on the borderline here:

Cam Newton
    Jay Culter
    Andy Dalton
    Matt Schaub
    Philip Rivers
    Matthew Stafford

I think Romo is better than those guys but I wouldn't fight you for very long if you wanted to say one of them was better. So at the absolute worst Romo is the 18th best QB in the league but has an argument to warrant he should be placed higher and with some of the guys on the list he has both age and health on his side to throw at the Cowboys and again there's the reality that the rest of the league would bend over backwards to have Romo at QB, which is still 14 or so teams.

In your top 12, I can see points being made for why Wilson, luck, rg3 and kapernick to be on there. But for me, a top 10 ranking requires more than one season (granted they were all really good). Romo's #'s continue to get better every year and he will regularly find himself in the leagues top 10 for every qb cat, which is why I slot him in the top 10 overall.

The guys mentioned before plus newton and stafford appear to have more talent. But the production of romo trumps that at this point.

P.S. flip big Ben for flacco on your list

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    In your top 12, I can see points being made for why Wilson, luck, rg3 and kapernick to be on there. But for me, a top 10 ranking requires more than one season (granted they were all really good). Romo's #'s continue to get better every year and he will regularly find himself in the leagues top 10 for every qb cat, which is why I slot him in the top 10 overall.

The guys mentioned before plus newton and stafford appear to have more talent. But the production of romo trumps that at this point.

P.S. flip big Ben for flacco on your list
    That list wasn't in order of my ranking, although it started that way.

Dobber Sports Sage

Aaron Rodgers
    Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Ryan
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Andrew Luck
    Robert Griffin III
    Drew Brees
    Colin Kaepernick
    Russell Wilson

Cam Newton
    Jay Culter
    Andy Dalton
    Matt Schaub
    Philip Rivers
    Matthew Stafford

I would rather have any of the quarterbacks on you second list over Romo as well. Newton bro, really. There not even in the same league. Newton is the most under rated quarterback in the league and Romo is the most over rated. Newton's rookie season was the best in the history of football for a QB and got no were near enough play because of that joke Tebow.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I would rather have any of the quarterbacks on you second list over Romo as well. Newton bro, really. There not even in the same league. Newton is the most under rated quarterback in the league and Romo is the most over rated. Newton's rookie season was the best in the history of football for a QB and got no were near enough play because of that joke Tebow.
    Like I said, I'm not going to fight you very long. Those guys are on the borderline because I'm not expert enough to make a definitive call. Carolina was so brutal I didn't watch a single one of their games. And that's beside the point. My point is that even if you rank all of those borderline guys in front of Romo there's still half a league out there desperate for quarterback play that's going to pay him.