Thread: Bud Holloway

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Bud Holloway

So he leads the Manchester Monarchs two years running then he runs off to the Elitserien (SWE) where he ends up as the the 5th leading scorer in the regular season and breaks the scoring record in the playoffs. I have since read that he plans on returning to the Skellefteå for next season unless he gets a one way contract from LA, which is not likely. Is he doing this because he has already played 3 pro seasons in Manchester without seeing 80 games of NHL time and will be a 25 by next March (2013), so he'll end up being a Group VI UFA and can sign with anyone? Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

I know he would have seen some time up in the NHL this season, but he would have ended up just like Matt Moulson was used (or not used). This way he'll be able to make a break from LA free and clear and I'm sure there will be some interested teams, especially if he keeps ripping up the Elitserien (SWE). I'm surprised other players haven't attempted this or maybe they have and just weren't successful.

Hopefully, someone can give me some more info. If he does become a UFA, he might be worth stashing on my farm team in my league come March or April of next year

Administrator

I don't know for sure, but I think his rights are suspended while he plays overseas. Don't quote me on it though.

Until you know for sure what the situation is, just keep him on your radar. He could be a deadline deal sweetener if the team wants to add a piece for another playoff run.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

The Kings qualified him in 2011, so his rights will always be held by the club and I'm pretty he will always be an RFA until he signs another NHL deal.

He went to Sweden for the money. Don't know what he's making, but it's surely a ton more than $55,000 he was making in the AHL. Once guys realize they aren't close to making the NHL, then they go for the money.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The Kings qualified him in 2011, so his rights will always be held by the club and I'm pretty he will always be an RFA until he signs another NHL deal.

He went to Sweden for the money. Don't know what he's making, but it's surely a ton more than $55,000 he was making in the AHL. Once guys realize they aren't close to making the NHL, then they go for the money.
    I really hope the NHL can address AHL salaries in the new CBA. Just take a small chunk out of the pie to give minor leaguers a better living and keep them over here instead of overseas.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Holloway seems to be dominating SEL. Leads the league in scoring with 39 points in 29 games. He's on pace for 73 point season while the record for most points in a season is 76 by Håkan Loob. He already broke the SEL record for most points in playoffs last spring so let's see if he can break another points record.

I wonder if he'll ever get his chance in NHL. Would likely need a one-way contract to come back to NA.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I really hope the NHL can address AHL salaries in the new CBA. Just take a small chunk out of the pie to give minor leaguers a better living and keep them over here instead of overseas.
    players that are in their post entry level deals are making much more than they use to...

Keith Aucoin 350k
    TJ Hensick, Trevor Smith, Andrew Ebbett, Kris Newbury, Micheal Haley and Andrei Benoit 300K each...

over 50 AHL players on 2 way contacts make 105K/year... That doesnt include AHL SPCs like Dan Ellis, Mike Zigomanis, Paul Ranger ect....

Entry Level players are subject to restrictions placed upon them in their draft year, similer to MLB's slot $$$..

The Marlies lost Leo Komarov this year because his entry level deal only allowed for 62.5K based on the season he was drafted max... he was expected to come to north america with his wife, child and find a new home and start his life on that wage... He retuned to Russia where he is already established and will make over a million (I've heard more than 2 million) playing in the KHL...

Rules are more relaxed the past 3-4 years as the NHL changed waiver and entry level rules as there are now no monitary relationship between 2 way contracts and waivers... befor ethe rule was more than 69K and you were subject to waivers... its now a GP/days on NHL roster/age/draft year formula to decide waivers....

With the new CBA it sounds like Re-Entry waivers is being eliminated in 2 articals, european signings and North American vets...

Justin Schultz's EL only pays him 70K... Jordan Eberle is 65K....

Because Holloway was not a solid NHL prospect he held little leverage... he could have signed anouther 2 way deal but was likely only offered between 70-100K where as in europe he is likely earning 1/2 a mill or more... He also had no leverage to sign a 1 way deal for 550K that would have paid him that no matter if he was in the AHL or NHL...

LA had many prospects needing ice and Holloway didnt fit into the plans... Dwight King was basically the winner in that situation, but they needed ice for the development of Azevedo, King, Kozun, Vey, Cliche, Legein, Nolan, Kaunisto, Czarnik, Loktionov, Meckler and Clune...

Holloway may have difficult time geting into an AHL job because due to his amount of pro games played he is now subject to the AHL's developmental rule where they can only dress 3 players in a game with more than 320 pro games experiance (excluding Goalies)...

Holloway was a very good AHL player, but the odds of him moving up were limited... Mind you I was never impressed with Matt Moulson as mentioned before or Kevin Westgarth in the Monarch systems and they pretty good NHLers now....
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Guru

UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This feels like a pretty tricky guy to pinpoint as far as NHL upside goes.
    GO WINGS!