Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leafs sign Kessel to 8 year contract

Banned

I've seen Phaneuf play D. He's not the best but his toughness and ability to shoot the puck will command significant dollars. Look what Clarkson just got.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I've seen Phaneuf play D. He's not the best but his toughness and ability to shoot the puck will command significant dollars. Look what Clarkson just got.
    His shot means little when he can't even consistently hit the side of a barn...

Scroll up and watch the video I just added. That's vintage Phaneuf right there

Dobber Sports Ninja

Gotta side with Big_Ev here. I see Phaneuf hitting a big payday on his next contract.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Crazier things have happened, but $8M is more than Shea Weber makes on his new contract... just saying.

Dobber Sports Veteran

If Phaneuf wants 8 years, I think the cap hit should not be above 6.

If he only wants 5 years then maybe closer to 7.

This is just spitballing based on a lot of word of mouth and the type of defenseman he is. I'm sure a lot of you see a lot more Leafs games than I do and could give a better idea on what he is actually worth.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

The Great One

The Leafs are deep at D.

If Phaneuf wants stupid money, I hope they let him walk. Or trade him.

He shouldn't get a cent more than he's making now.

If someone else wants to pay that for them, go right ahead...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by goavsgo View Post
    Can't really fault this deal. Youngest FA headed into the summer. One of the top goal scorers in the league the past couple years to boot. With the new CBA moving forward, I expect these type of deals will be the new norm.
    The cap on years will make this a virtual certainty. No way to artificially lower the cap hit anymore. You're already seeing it with Perry, Malkin, Getzlaf, Giroux and now Kessel. These type of deals will be the norm.

Elite is going to get paid and teams won't have the option of tacking on false years with low salaries to lower the cap hit.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Bozak deserves more credit than most people (especially those on this forum) give him credit for.

Kessel's been borderline top 5 in scoring for the past 2 consecutive seasons... who do you guys think has been passing him those pucks? On top of that, Bozak is versatile and can be used in a number of situations. I don't think $4M for a guy like that is too big a stretch.
    You could look at it another way, Kessel has been top 5 in scoring the past 2 years and Bozak can't even hit a 60 point pace...

I'm pretty sure advance stats actually point (not prove but I digress) to Bozak being an anchor for Phil.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    You could look at it another way, Kessel has been top 5 in scoring the past 2 years and Bozak can't even hit a 60 point pace...

I'm pretty sure advance stats actually point (not prove but I digress) to Bozak being an anchor for Phil.
    So... what you're suggesting is that without the "anchor" Bozak pulling him down, then Phil would actually be a 100+ point player? Wouldn't that be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sd1976 View Post
    Why? Kessel is younger, less injury prone and the better player.
    Yeah, NHL GMs never overpay. Sorry, what was I thinking.
    @SmittysRant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gfhyde View Post
    Mehhh...I'm a Leafs fan and all, but 8 mil seems just a bit high. I'd be happier with 7-7.5 If you gotta pay that much to hold on to him, I guess he's worth it then, right? I mean imagine the team without Phil That's not pretty.
    more than a bit high dude, I'm shocked how many Leaf fans are creaming their panties over this one...actually no I'm not, this is par for the course I guess -lol

just consider for a moment what 8mil gets you:

Stamkos - 8mil - 2011
    Perry - 7mil - 2013
    Getz - 6.5mil -2013
    Malkin - 7.5mil -2009
    Backstrom - 6mil - 2010

I think 6.5-7mil range should have been what they targeted. It's not a horrible deal but like I keep saying, when you continue to overpay and make poor cap decisions, they eventually pile up and compound one another and you wind up with no maneuverability, that's what I see for the Leafs in the future.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    more than a bit high dude, I'm shocked how many Leaf fans are creaming their panties over this one...actually no I'm not, this is par for the course I guess -lol

just consider for a moment what 8mil gets you:

Stamkos - 8mil - 2011
    Perry - 7mil - 2013
    Getz - 6.5mil -2013
    Malkin - 7.5mil -2009
    Backstrom - 6mil - 2010

I think 6.5-7mil range should have been what they targeted. It's not a horrible deal but like I keep saying, when you continue to overpay and make poor cap decisions, they eventually pile up and compound one another and you wind up with no maneuverability, that's what I see for the Leafs in the future.
    Not really fair to compare 2009/10/11 contracts to today's contracts. SO much has changed since then... on top of the standard inflation.

The fair comparables are Perry and Getz - I'd take Kessel over either of those guys. In that light, I think the contract is fair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Not really fair to compare 2009/10/11 contracts to today's contracts. SO much has changed since then... on top of the standard inflation.

The fair comparables are Perry and Getz - I'd take Kessel over either of those guys. In that light, I think the contract is fair.
    it's totally fair...the cap last year was the same as 2010, the cap this year is the same as in 2011. Malkin is a little unfair to throw in there but I just wanted to include him for raw comparison's sake

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    The Leafs are deep at D.

If Phaneuf wants stupid money, I hope they let him walk. Or trade him.

He shouldn't get a cent more than he's making now.

If someone else wants to pay that for them, go right ahead...
    Are we watching the same team? Deep with mediocre Dmen maybe. They don't have a true number 1 dman. Gunnerson is on the top pairing. Franson is a good second pairing guy. Gardiner has been good for small chunks of time and awful the rest. Reilly's going back to JR. JML plays for the marlies. Ranger hadn't done anything in three years. Who's left? I would love to hear a convincing argument.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Banned

I think you would find few people who would take kessel over getzlaf and perry