Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 3/23

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 3/23

STUDS

Halak Attack Is Back!

My boy Halak, back in action for the first time since March 10th, gets the shutout win while facing a measly 19 SOG. Halak has struggled this season when facing higher octane offense (eg Blackhawks, Red Wings), but is always a safe play - home or away - versus struggling and defensive-minded teams.
    Mr. Allen, we hardly knew ya!

The Rookie

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Tyler Johnson is forcing poolies to take notice. Finds the twine twice in yesterday's loss, and now has six points in last five. His ice time (especially on the power play) is inconsistent, however, his strong face off percentage will keep him on the ice often enough to be productive for poolies hit with the injury bug. I would caution against overpaying at this point, considering a new coach is coming in (see: Lindy Ruff). But if you have a spot on your farm, he's worth a pick up.

Teemu Alfredsson? Daniel Selanne?

The other ageless one, Daniel Alfredsson, found the net twice yesterday, and has a respectable 20 points on the season. His stud days are long behind, yet he remains a very viable #3 forward for poolies needing points, blocked shots and shots on goal.

Oh Niky You're So Fine, You're So Fine You Blow My Mind, Hey Niky!

Mr. Backstrom w/ a 33 save shutout yesterday - giving him 2.23 GAA and .921 SV%. Five straight wins and eight of last ten. Boom!

The Number of the Beast

The Devils are a formidable foe, when Marty-B is in net. Yesterday's win - his second in as many games since his return - gave him 666 career wins. How apt for a Devil.

Doctor, I feel a Pulse!

They still won't "wow" anyone, still experience fits of inconsistent play within games, and struggle on defense, but the Buffalo Sabres have won three straight and deserve a tip of the hat for their improved play. Granted, not a high hurdle to leap but improved nonetheless. Rolston has this team giving a crap again and they're playing better overall Vanek (two goals last night) and Hodgson remain solid plays in points-only leagues.

Rarefied Air

Nazem Kadri is on the cusp of entering the beast mode stratosphere, earning nine points in his last four games. Still not quite consistent enough between games, however, I will go out on a limb here and predict next year he will be a plug-and-play forward for poolies.

Spring Fever

March has been very kind to poolies who own Shea Weber. He has earned points in all but three games thus far. And if the Preds continue their offensive tear (10 goals in last two games), I see no reason why his output would fade. Good to have ya back, Mr. Weber!

Honorable Mentions
    • Cory Schneider has three consecutive wins. Problem for poolies is predicting when he'll play and how successful he'll be when he does.
    • Senators prospect goalie, Robin Lehner held on for the win yesterday - despite a shaky third period. His wins will be unreliable for now, yet his periphs remain solid and should improve with more play and the confidence the comes with experience. Keep him on the burner for now.
    • Jakob Silfverberg earned a goal and an assist. He's on a five game streak.
    • Guillaume Latendresse has points in five of last seven games, however, poolies are cautioned not to over play this middling forward. Use only in case of emergency as his ice time is limited.

DUDS

All Good Things...

Not a true dud, perhaps, but Bobrovsky and the Blue Jackets win streak came to an end. And he remains on my bench, so poolies can't blame me for this one!

Maybe You'd Prefer Pominville?

Derek Roy trade rumors? Say it isn't so!! (heh-heh)

Jumbo Shrimp

Joe Thornton has always been known more for his assists rather than goals, but even his five on the season and one in last ten is making poolies scream WTF?!?

It's not you, it's me...

Kicked to the curb, Guy Boucher enters the jobless market. A 13-17-1 record sullied Yzerman's man crush and forced the break up.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    STUDS

Halak Attack Is Back!

My boy Halak, back in action for the first time since March 10th, gets the shutout win while facing a measly 19 SOG. Halak has struggled this season when facing higher octane offense (eg Blackhawks, Red Wings), but is always a safe play - home or away - versus struggling and defensive-minded teams.
    Mr. Allen, we hardly knew ya!

The Rookie

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Tyler Johnson is forcing poolies to take notice. Finds the twine twice in yesterday's loss, and now has six points in last five. His ice time (especially on the power play) is inconsistent, however, his strong face off percentage will keep him on the ice often enough to be productive for poolies hit with the injury bug. I would caution against overpaying at this point, considering a new coach is coming in (see: Lindy Ruff). But if you have a spot on your farm, he's worth a pick up.

Teemu Alfredsson? Daniel Selanne?

The other ageless one, Daniel Alfredsson, found the net twice yesterday, and has a respectable 20 points on the season. His stud days are long behind, yet he remains a very viable #3 forward for poolies needing points, blocked shots and shots on goal.

Oh Niky You're So Fine, You're So Fine You Blow My Mind, Hey Niky!

Mr. Backstrom w/ a 33 save shutout yesterday - giving him 2.23 GAA and .921 SV%. Five straight wins and eight of last ten. Boom!

The Number of the Beast

The Devils are a formidable foe, when Marty-B is in net. Yesterday's win - his second in as many games since his return - gave him 666 career wins. How apt for a Devil.

Doctor, I feel a Pulse!

They still won't "wow" anyone, still experience fits of inconsistent play within games, and struggle on defense, but the Buffalo Sabres have won three straight and deserve a tip of the hat for their improved play. Granted, not a high hurdle to leap but improved nonetheless. Rolston has this team giving a crap again and they're playing better overall Vanek (two goals last night) and Hodgson remain solid plays in points-only leagues.

Rarefied Air

Nazem Kadri is on the cusp of entering the beast mode stratosphere, earning nine points in his last four games. Still not quite consistent enough between games, however, I will go out on a limb here and predict next year he will be a plug-and-play forward for poolies.

Spring Fever

March has been very kind to poolies who own Shea Weber. He has earned points in all but three games thus far. And if the Preds continue their offensive tear (10 goals in last two games), I see no reason why his output would fade. Good to have ya back, Mr. Weber!

Honorable Mentions
    • Cory Schneider has three consecutive wins. Problem for poolies is predicting when he'll play and how successful he'll be when he does.
    • Senators prospect goalie, Robin Lehner held on for the win yesterday - despite a shaky third period. His wins will be unreliable for now, yet his periphs remain solid and should improve with more play and the confidence the comes with experience. Keep him on the burner for now.
    • Jakob Silfverberg earned a goal and an assist. He's on a five game streak.
    • Guillaume Latendresse has points in five of last seven games, however, poolies are cautioned not to over play this middling forward. Use only in case of emergency as his ice time is limited.

DUDS

All Good Things...

Not a true dud, perhaps, but Bobrovsky and the Blue Jackets win streak came to an end. And he remains on my bench, so poolies can't blame me for this one!

Maybe You'd Prefer Pominville?

Derek Roy trade rumors? Say it isn't so!! (heh-heh)

Jumbo Shrimp

Joe Thornton has always been known more for his assists rather than goals, but even his five on the season and one in last ten is making poolies scream WTF?!?

It's not you, it's me...

Kicked to the curb, Guy Boucher enters the jobless market. A 13-17-1 record sullied Yzerman's man crush and forced the break up.

Short, sweet and to the point. Easy read, Bomm. Good work as always!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury