Thread: Capped article mailbag

Administrator

Default Capped article mailbag

Last week I went to the forum for ideas for my article, and perhaps the best one was the mailbag. So here we are. The article will be published Thursday with answers to at least a few. I do have some rules:

1) It has to have a financial element. Non-financial questions should be asked to other writers who covers the topic that applies.

2) I do not like long lists. Salary cap implications are complicated enough as it is.

3) Apply context where it is necessary. Does your league use cap hits or salaries? What type of league? Do positions matter? One year league, or limited/full keeper?

I look forward to hearing from you guys, and I will do my best to give you the best opinion possible. The lockout is tough on everyone so let's work together to create a piece of art.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Next time you think about chirping me Eric, remember this moment

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Next time you think about chirping me Eric, remember this moment
    Was this a question?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In recent years we have seen big (offensive) numbers from defenders making peanuts (relatively speaking, of course), some on entry-level contracts, some not. In particular, Duncan Keith in 2009-10 (69 pts, $1,475,000), Keith Yandle in 2010-11 (59 pts, $1,200,000), and most recently Erik Karlsson in 2011-12 (78 pts, $1,300,000). Coincidentally, I was one year too early to cash in on all 3 of these explosions. In your opinion who (if any) is most likely to follow suit: Kevin Shattenkirk ($1,300,000), Cam Fowler ($1,400,000), Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($1,750,000), Ryan McDonagh ($1,300,000) or other... We use cap hits in our one-year league which rewards only G,A,PIM,PPP for skaters. Last year I drafted Cam Fowler, but don't let that influence your decision... Thanks Eric!

Administrator

I'll give this a bump now that we're in the General Hockey Chat forum. Bring it on guys! Team decisions, player comparisons and even prospects on entry level deals are welcome!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'll give this a bump now that we're in the General Hockey Chat forum. Bring it on guys! Team decisions, player comparisons and even prospects on entry level deals are welcome!
    Team in signature (we use player salarys), going for the win now as i gave up a bit for Chara & Iggy. Where do u think my team is lacking and who would you move and for what?

My biggest question marks are with Michalek repeating and Goligoski improving i feel.

Thoughts?
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Guru

Who are the best potential breakout players with a league minimum salary (=cap hit) for this year (let's say cap hit less than $0.7 million)? I'm talking about guys like Kris Versteeg in 08-09 (cap hit $0.491667, had a 53 point season), Matt Moulson in 09-10 (cap hit $0.575, had a 30 goal and 48 point season), Frans Nielsen the past few years (cap hit $0.525, 38/44/47 point seasons).

Finding those kind of players can win you the deeper salary cap leagues. So where should I look to find the next player to break out with a league minimum salary? Obviously this is hard to say as Versteeg and Moulson came basically out of nowhere, but do you have any suggestions for the next one to break out while having ridiculously low cap hit (note: Brayden Holtby is too obvious candidate so dig deeper ).

Basically this question would be a follow-up on your 'Finding The Next Salary Cap Bargains'-article but with a focus on some names with a cheap league minimum salary to look at.
    Last edited by Carcillo; November 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw