Thread: Bored...looking at a keeper trade.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Bored...looking at a keeper trade.

Since we still haven't drafted and our keepers haven't been set, I was looking to make a 2 for 1 to upgrade of my last keeper and HELP my buddy's team. His keepers are Backstrom(Was), Hossa, Dats and Luongo. He's getting a little long in the tooth and Luongo is a big ? right now. I was going to offer him Seguin and Karlsson for Backstrom since I can't keep both.

Is the trade a good one for me and does it make his team better, considering he'd have to drop Luongo? He has a early-mid 1st round pick so getting a decent starter will be no problem. He could possibly snag Rask at his spot.

Thanks

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Thomas
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg, Hyman(L/R)
    R-Svechnikov(L/R) Konecny(L/R) P. Kane, Zucc
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi, McAvoy, Montour
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill, Grubauer
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Guru

I wouldn't do this if I were you. I'd be keeping Karlsson over Seguin (and over Backstrom too). You have Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson and Quick - all arguably the best players in their respective positions. Your keepers can't really get any better than that and I wouldn't be looking to make any moves. I don't think it makes sense in your league to keep two centers. Backstrom is much easier to be replaced through the draft than Karlsson is. It's not really even close. Karlsson should be worth much more.

That would certainly help your friend though. Karlsson and Seguin would be his two most valuable keepers and both are more or less equal to Backstrom (Karlsson more valuable, atleast to you since you already have Crosby as keeper C, and Sequin really close to being as good as Backstrom). They'd be much better keepers for him than any of Hossa, Datsyuk or Luongo are.

But like said, I wouldn't do this if I were you. I'd be happy keeping Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson and Quick.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    I wouldn't do this if I were you. I'd be keeping Karlsson over Seguin (and over Backstrom too). You have Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson and Quick - all arguably the best players in their respective positions. Your keepers can't really get any better than that and I wouldn't be looking to make any moves. I don't think it makes sense in your league to keep two centers. Backstrom is much easier to be replaced through the draft than Karlsson is. It's not really even close. Karlsson should be worth much more.

That would certainly help your friend though. Karlsson and Seguin would be his two most valuable keepers and both are more or less equal to Backstrom (Karlsson more valuable, atleast to you since you already have Crosby as keeper C, and Sequin really close to being as good as Backstrom). They'd be much better keepers for him than any of Hossa, Datsyuk or Luongo are.

But like said, I wouldn't do this if I were you. I'd be happy keeping Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson and Quick.
    i agree with everything here.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post

Also gotta agree with this, good analysis.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Guru

If you want to help your buddy, I think offering Seguin for his 2nd rounder+ would be the best case scenario for both. You'd get a pick+maybe an upgrade in later round(s), he'd upgrade his 4th keeper. Just a thought.

As mentioned earlier, you're keepers are set. I wouldn't mess with them.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    If you want to help your buddy, I think offering Seguin for his 2nd rounder+ would be the best case scenario for both. You'd get a pick+maybe an upgrade in later round(s), he'd upgrade his 4th keeper. Just a thought.

As mentioned earlier, you're keepers are set. I wouldn't mess with them.
    That's a better idea and a 2nd round pick is more than fair and helps both of us. The problem is he'd have to keep Luongo as we need to keep a goalie or dman as part of our 4. Who does he drop Dats or Hossa? Luongo would be the guy to drop considering his situation right now. Thanks everyone for the input.
    Last edited by islefan31; November 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Guru

That makes it a bit tougher. I think I'd drop Hossa if I had to choose between the two -- after his big injury, and considering he had a couple down years, he's the lowest of the three Fs to me.

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Dobber Sports Ace

my leagues no longer allow trading in the off season of non-keepers because of this very reason. Trading a potential 1st round pick player that you wouldnt keep for a 2nd; you get something for nothing, and he gets something for cheaper than he should. It shouldnt exist.

That said, if your league allows, take advantage of it.
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post
    my leagues no longer allow trading in the off season of non-keepers because of this very reason. Trading a potential 1st round pick player that you wouldnt keep for a 2nd; you get something for nothing, and he gets something for cheaper than he should. It shouldnt exist.
    I agree, to an extent, but it's not so cut and dry.

It seems like he's getting something for nothing, but he's actually weakening the draft for himself (Seguin might've been re-draftable for him, or at the very least, his first pick will be worse as a result) and he's helping a competitor (so his good keepers aren't as much better than the other guy's).

In the end, I don't think it changes things much -- the biggest problem I have with this kind of set up is that some folks aren't as active in the off-season, and they're the ones that get penalized for not taking advantage of this type of transaction.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by islefan31 View Post
    That's a better idea and a 2nd round pick is more than fair and helps both of us. The problem is he'd have to keep Luongo as we need to keep a goalie or dman as part of our 4. Who does he drop Dats or Hossa? Luongo would be the guy to drop considering his situation right now. Thanks everyone for the input.
    If I were you I would offer him Seguin+Fleury for a 2nd+ donkey players...then he drops Hossa/Luongo

Giving up a 2nd rounder in a keep 4 league is tough so he'll want good value as essentially this trade is Seguin+Fleury for Hossa+Luongo+2nd.

He improves his keepers by getting younger and well...simply better but he has to pay a price for that...and I think a 2nd is reasonable for both sides.

I also agree that you have to keep Karlsson here. Keeping Dman in a keep 4 usually doesn't make sense...but he's that much better than the rest... Keep him.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by duducks View Post

That said, if your league allows, take advantage of it.
    I don't agree with rules like that. I would make an analogy with pending UFA in the NHL. Let's say (hypothetically) that a team has to re-sign during the summer Crosby, Ovechkin, Karlsson, Quick and Seguin. This same team knows that they won't be able to sign all of them, then they will probably try to trade one of their UFA to another team in exchange for compensation.

Pretty much the same thing as trading a keeper for a draft pick, IMO.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

rules bickering aside (on that note, i like these trades since active owners should get a benefit)....

Shoot for what you can get. I think a Fleury and seguin for luongo, hossa and a 2nd is letting him off really lightly. Luongo is getting older, and honestly at this point i would much rather own fleury. hossa is past his prime and i have a hard time projecting over a ppg every again for him. Seguin still has elite upside and is really young.

I would think of it as how i would draft them (assuming standard 12 team roto):
    Fleury- 2nd or 3rd rounder, solid #1 goalie, but there are a few i would rather have
    seguin- 3rd rounder, very good winger now with elite upside
    luongo- 5th rounder, question marks all over the place, and getting older
    hossa- 6th round, just has not been elite in a few years, but still good

Since you are trading down so much, i would be targeting like a 2nd and 4th, or maybe even a first rounder.
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Star

I look at it like this, I do my homework for months before the draft and usually draft well. I make trades to upgrade players and sometimes overpay at the time depending on what I want. I spend all summer here and several other sites gathering information for the off-season and upcoming seasons in order to make better decisions on a players worth and usually compete for top honors each year. I put my time in to build a nice collection of players, some of which are top keeper quality but with a keep 4 someone has to go. So if I put all that time in to get player X or Y why shouldn't I try to get something for him before I have to throw him back? There are no rules that say a owner needs to shut things down after the cup is raised. Plus, and this is the big one, it keeps me interested in the sport and fantasy hockey year round.

PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    2019*, 2023

IR
    -Demko