Thread: Jordan Binnington Thoughts

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Jordan Binnington Thoughts

Kid is ripping it up so far this year. I remember reading Justin's thoughts on him back in his draft year but he'd fallen off my radar until recently.

http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/n...p?NewsID=51809

Anyone have any thoughts on him?

Administrator

Solid goalie, but in fantasy hockey I almost always avoid these guys. The wait can actually exceed the lifetime of your league, and in Binnington's case there is a lot of competition in the organization.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Solid goalie, but in fantasy hockey I almost always avoid these guys. The wait can actually exceed the lifetime of your league, and in Binnington's case there is a lot of competition in the organization.
    Yeah, for shallow or newer leagues this might be the case but my league has been going for 13 years and it's 30 teams deep with a farm system.

So to clarify, I'm not suggesting Jordan Binnington is someone that anyone should be looking at in anything but the deepest of leagues but for those of us who like that sort of challenge he's certainly proving himself worthy of attention so far this year.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Yeah, for shallow or newer leagues this might be the case but my league has been going for 13 years and it's 30 teams deep with a farm system.

So to clarify, I'm not suggesting Jordan Binnington is someone that anyone should be looking at in anything but the deepest of leagues but for those of us who like that sort of challenge he's certainly proving himself worthy of attention so far this year.
    Just to clarify, I am in two deep leagues and in both I have turned to the likes of Lack, Stalock, Lindback, Pasquale, Svedberg, Grubauer and Bachman. All guys in their 20s who have an upside equal to the more-hyped teen goalies. I do think the younger guys like Binnington have a place, but in my case I like to use those goalies as trade bait especially when there is limited farm space.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah, I recently traded Lindback and I own Bachman. Stalock, Lack and Svedberg are all owned in my league but Pasquale and Grubauer are available....care to share any thoughts on them?

I'd say guys like Lindback, Bachman, Stalock and Lack are quite hyped in most knoweledgable fantasy circles but I've never heard anyone hyping Binnington.

In a 30 team league there are always 'rebuilding' GM's and if a guy like Binnington started to shine in the AHL over the next couple of years then his trade value would get me a servicable NHLer....so yeah, he's trade bait for sure....most goalies I grab are!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Pasquale and Grubauer are available....care to share any thoughts on them?
    I am not fully knowledgeable on their games and style of play, but they have both shown good signs at the pro level. There is certainly upside there, especially in the case of Grubauer. Plus owning them cuts 2-3 years off the wait time that comes with junior-aged goalies.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    owning them cuts 2-3 years off the wait time that comes with junior-aged goalies.
    True...if your intent is to hold onto a goalie until they become servicable. I'm after max trade value, no goalie that I pick up will have much chance of ever making my team.

I've just started doing a bit of digging into both of the guys you mentioned. Here's an interesting article on Grubauer for those who are interested:

http://thehockeywriters.com/washingt...-in-ahl-debut/

Here's a little writeup from HF on Pasquale:

11. (NR) Ed Pasquale, G, 6.5C
    Drafted 4th round, 117th overall, 2009

A dream season in 2011-12 saw Ed Pasquale shoot up the prospect rankings and become the undisputed top goalie prospect for the Jets. Riding the momentum of a strong preseason, Pasquale won the starting job in St. John's despite stiff competition from veteran pros David Aebischer and Peter Mannino. Pasquale started all 15 playoff games in the IceCaps run to the semi-finals and earned national attention with some spectacular saves at timely moments. The 6'3 netminder will look to carry over that form into training camp and battle offseason signing Mark Dekanich, another AHL veteran, for top goalie status in St. John's.