Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Therrien bans excessive celebrations

Banned

Default Therrien bans excessive celebrations

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/...5-celebration/

I don't think Subban/Price's low 5 celebration after a win was a big deal really but I agree with the coach to a large degree. The message he's trying to convey is 'Be humble and show class and respect for your opponents' and I think that's the kind of thing that used to be prevalent in the league but that has largely been lost...and a lot of players need to learn that lesson, otherwise you get nonsense like that joker Yakupov pulled this year.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Need to let the players celebrate to some degree to enjoy their success and achievement. They battle for 60 minutes in a war night in and night out, and having a little 2 second triple low five is not showing any disrespect to anyone, its congratulating your teammate in a hard fought win. It's not " in your face" or over the top celebrations. It also can create some buzz among the teammates and get even more excitement going. Some celebrations are good.

Dobber Sports Stud

No Fun League
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Dobber Sports Veteran

The real question here is how do you define excessive? Is the Jagr salute excessive? Obviously, I think Yakupov's celebration was a bit much but...
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Deity

Their "low 5 three times" was almost as dumb as Therrien banning it.

Seriously, who cares.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Good lord, just let them celebrate. It's bad enough that every hockey player comes off as a robot during interviews. Let them at least have personalities on the ice!

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Stud

This is stupid.

Granted, Yakupov is a young clown who thinks he's as good as a young ovechkin (*he's not), so I'll give him a pass this year, but I don't see anything wrong with other celebrations like the Jagr salute or subban's low fives
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Monster

The Cincinnati Bengals rode the " Ickey Shuffle" all the way to the Super Bowl. Hey just saying...

Dobber Sports Master

Anyone remember Selanne's 'shooting the glove' celebration? Yeah, I don't know that anyone would say that Selanne 'lacks class' or 'is bad for the game'.

If you aren't mocking your opponent and it takes less than 10 seconds there's nothing wrong with it.

Why does Montreal seem obsessed with generating bizarre stories? I thought turfing that past GM who shall not be named would have settled things down.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

When teams win they should have to apologize to the other team now.

And when players score a goal, they shouldn't be allowed to raise their sticks, and should also apologize to the goalie.

And when they are interviewed after the game while riding the exercise bike, they should only talk in monotone and spit out cliche's.

That Yakupov celebration was classic. He'll grow up and you'll never see him do that again though, even if he scores a game 7 overtime winner.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/...5-celebration/

I don't think Subban/Price's low 5 celebration after a win was a big deal really but I agree with the coach to a large degree. The message he's trying to convey is 'Be humble and show class and respect for your opponents' and I think that's the kind of thing that used to be prevalent in the league but that has largely been lost...and a lot of players need to learn that lesson, otherwise you get nonsense like that joker Yakupov pulled this year.
    Great move. Not classless like that Yakupov BS, but they should celebrate as a team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Good lord, just let them celebrate. It's bad enough that every hockey player comes off as a robot during interviews. Let them at least have personalities on the ice!
    I'll second this sentiment. Good Lord, taking away the pure joy of scoring by punishing those who dare show some emotion. Playing hockey should be fun and clamping down on celebrating after goals and even winning a hard fought emotional game will have a negative effect in some players minds.

Staged celebrations like Ovechkin warming his hands over his stick and the NFL's Sharpie-gate are way too over the top for me. I'd even say that what Yakupov did was a little excessive for scoring a game tying goal, but I watched that game and the Oilers were having some tough luck with the officials making questionable calls and even calling a goal back earlier on a bogus goalie interference call. It was an emotional goal, I mean I literally jumped off the couch and yelled. So I can see how excited the kid was to be the guy who scored that goal.

I'm not sure I follow why opponents feel disrespected when someone scores on you. Yeah, you feel horrible because you were just scored on/beat, but it just comes off as poor sportsmanship to beak off about a player celebrating a goal they just scored on your team. Disrespectful would be if they were to do it right in your face or say something inflammatory after scoring.

I would hate it if after every goal, team mates simply smiled touched gloves and went back to the face off dot to drop the puck again. Players need to enjoy the game, otherwise it becomes passionless and this game is anything but passionless.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Pro

Holy shit folks.
    THIS IS AN ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCT. That is all the NHL is. That's why it's a business. That's why we line up to see it. The game is changing. Society is changing. If people find it entertaining, let them do it.

You folks denouncing things like "triple-low-fives" and saying Yakupov's celebrations are BS sound like parents in the 50's complaining about Elvis's dancing.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Holy shit folks.
    THIS IS AN ENTERTAINMENT PRODUCT. That is all the NHL is. That's why it's a business. That's why we line up to see it. The game is changing. Society is changing. If people find it entertaining, let them do it.

You folks denouncing things like "triple-low-fives" and saying Yakupov's celebrations are BS sound like parents in the 50's complaining about Elvis's dancing.
    Something about this reminds me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7gP1xgRDJ4
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Super Moderator

I don't get why nobody was offended when Couture pulled a Kaepernick and kissed his bicep after a goal? How was that ok but Yakupov was bs? Just a guess, but I'd go and say it has to do with their nationalities. At least be consistent.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.