Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Gustavsson

Sadly Im having my doubts about the monster. I really think he's lost alot of confidence. I pretty well saw this coming earlier. The Leafs said all the right things about not rushing him(let him adjust to NA game), but lets face it theyve thrown him into the fire and now he's really struggling(after looking so good in the beginning - challenging shooters etc...).

Even the Leafs are not rushing into contract talks with the soon to be RFA.

I know he played in the top league in Sweden but its not close to the NHL.

My question is are overating this kid? Or do we need to be patient?

Dobber Sports Genius

Not since Roman Cechmanek have I seen an NHL goalie who has no clue where his net is most of the time.

I don't see Gustavsson in the NHL in 2 years.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Icon

[QUOTE=notch4077;423875]Not since Roman Cechmanek have I seen an NHL goalie who has no clue where his net is most of the time.

QUOTE]

This is exactly the point here. You hit the nail on the head.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree with Notch - he plays a very weird style, especially for a big goalie.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

The King of Diatribes

Not in the NHL in two years? That's an extremely bold statement if you ask me. I'd say if he's having these same exact issues in October 2010, then MAYBE he loses his NHL appeal in two years. But saying that this early in the game is crazy.

I had this massive post written out but I'm just saving it for Monday's article =) There is a lot going on with him right now and since he's graduating from Top-100 Prospects, I'll go way in depth about it for Monday. Want to take my time on it all.

To be brief, bigger goalies in tighter spaces will struggle more than smaller goalies in that same space. Meaning elite European guys like Gustavsson and Markstrom might take longer to become effective in the NHL because the speed of the game is not only faster over here, it's steadily increasing. These bigger goalies really have to work hard to learn how to move and see the puck more effectively. The smaller goalies are relying on their quickness and speed to make those same saves and they are thriving. This is an interesting trend, because maybe we will start to see more smaller goalies getting drafted again.

It would somewhat explain how the bigger goalies like Anderson and LaBarbera aren't the most fluid or technically sound goalies, but once they get more experienced and older, they become a lot more effective. That also explains why goalies like Alex Salak, who is smaller and extremely insanely athletic, is thriving in the AHL while coming over from Europe way sooner than anyone expected.

Gustavsson has legitimate talent and makes big saves at big times. He is terrible while SH because he just doesn't know how to see AROUND bodies...but you can tell he's working on that every day in practice.

It all comes back to a lot of the advice I've given on here. You have to be able to separate legitimate talent and skill and their struggles and really look at what is causing their problems and what else comprises their game. Gustavsson has a lot of amazing traits, it's just about creating a well-rounded package. It doesn't happen overnight.

Same thing you see with Jonas Hiller and even a guy like Elliott.

Hiller had raw talent and came over and thrived and everyone thought he looked weird and played weird and probably wouldn't pan out. Now he's established himself as a starting goalie in the NHL and had very little competition from a rusty robotic JS Giguere. Now Hiller has a four-year deal with the ducks and Giguere will be moved sooner or later.

Elliott was on everyone's $%H@* list when he struggled last month but I clearly said he had potential and ability to go on a run. Now he's on that run and as you can see he has the confidence and the ability to turn Leclaire into trade bait. Elliott stays healthy, competes hard and is really consistent when it comes to his technique. Leclaire is all over the freakin' place and can't stay healthy at all.

Gotta be tuned into what the source of struggles are, why goals are going in, what kind of skill and adaptation they have, what they are poised to do next season. Gustavsson could have a very good summer and be in great shape on go on an absolute tear. It all depends on so many different elements that all you can truly trust is the facts of his techinque. And he is extremely skilled. So I haven't even come close to losing faith in him. Tough losses, he'll suck it up and be fine. Onward and upward.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Not in the NHL in two years? That's an extremely bold statement if you ask me. I'd say if he's having these same exact issues in October 2010, then MAYBE he loses his NHL appeal in two years. But saying that this early in the game is crazy.
    Call me crazy all you want, it is my opinion and I firmly believe he will not be in the NHL for the 2012-13 season. He has no clue where his net is.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    Gustavsson has legitimate talent and makes big saves at big times.
    He only makes those big saves at times because he is so far out of position that it takes a miracle to make that save.

Other teams/players are very quickly figuring out that all it takes is another move or quick pass and the open net is available due to over-committing to the initial move/shooter.

Bye bye Gustavsson in 2012-13.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

The King of Diatribes

Haha...I know it's your opinion. Nobody has the answers so all we can do is speculate. So I'm aware of that. I guess my opinion is that Gustavsson will only improve heading into next season. From there, it's even more unclear. So I don't see the point in considering him a bust already. You agree he makes big saves, regardless of how he makes it, the ability is there.

To be honest, I see all of the reasons why so many out there would relate Gustavsson to someone like Chechmanek. I actually laugh about it because I get the awkwardness and "lost feeling" both those players have. I know what it's like to play goal on two different sized rinks. IT SUCKS. EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT. He is going to look bad on a lot of plays, it's part of the transition process. Leafs aren't babying him into the league and I like that - the are giving him minutes and experience.

Toskala was doing a good job of seeing the puck in the first half of the game tonight ... good angles, movement etc. But when the going got tough, he completely fell apart and ended up losing to RAYCROFT (lol). I would rather have Gustavsson, who is extremely raw skilled and still adjusting to NA play out there battling and gaining experience and making some timely saves over the trash Toskala puts out there any day. That's why Gustavsson will play most of the games down the stretch, because they not only want to "see what he's got" but because they know he's a work in progress and that there's an upside to giving him big minutes and letting him suffer tough losses on a weak team.

You can teach a goalie many different tangible aspects of goaltending...but you can't really teach the intangibles. Gustavsson will learn to play shorthanded, improve his angles, balance and gap control IN TIME. But he already makes flashy big saves (whether hes' out of position or not) and that's something you can't teach. All the pieces are there, he's just gotta put together the puzzle. And I think the kid is smart and talented enough to do it by 2012-13.

Dobber Sports Icon

Sadly he has not made a big save in a while.

Dobber Sports Icon

I hope to finalize a deal tonight with him. My Gustavsson, PPrucha and JHudler for RDipietro, MBacklund and a 2nd rdr(17th overall). Guess the other owner still beklieves in him.

Being a Leafs season ticket holder i just dont see him making the next step

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    I hope to finalize a deal tonight with him. My Gustavsson, PPrucha and JHudler for RDipietro, MBacklund and a 2nd rdr(17th overall). Guess the other owner still beklieves in him.

Being a Leafs season ticket holder i just dont see him making the next step
    I like that trade for you.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Call me crazy all you want
    You're crazy.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You're crazy.
    Ahhh thank you.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    You're crazy.
    why call him crazy? I see Gus all the time and i agree hes always out of position. Looks lost most of the time.

I really believe (and Ive said it many times) the Leafs have ruined him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    I really believe (and Ive said it many times) the Leafs have ruined him.
    Has there really been a player lately that the leafs have brought in and they haven't ruined?!