Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you own Kuznetsov, are you concerned?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default If you own Kuznetsov, are you concerned?

So last night, a buddy of mine in one of my pools (the one in my sig actually) shoots me an email and ask me if I would be interested in acquiring Kuznetsov. My initial reaction was, hmm interesting. Then my gears got working and I post this question to you reader...

How confident are any of you that Kuznetsov will ever report to the NHL? I look at all the Russian NHL players who recently had to leave the KHL to return to their NHL clubs after the lockout ended. How many of them really wanted to come back? Its obvious that Kovalchuk wanted to stay and continue to play back in the Mother Land. Visnovsky is still there (although I believe he will eventually land in NY before long). I had even read that Russian President, Vladimir Putin was getting involved in trying to keep these Russian stars home and play in the KHL (The rumor I had read was he had offered OV, Malkin, Datsyuk, and Kovalchuk $30M each to stay and play in the KHL).

So this brings me back to Kuznetsov. He has no NHL contract, so he has no obligation to ever go there and play. He is Washington property, but that's about it. If the KHL is throwing big money at several NHL stars, do you think they won't do the same with Kuznetsov? He will obviously make more money in the KHL as he will have to start out on a rookie salary for his first NHL contract. Do you think, that after watching some of his his Russian heroes struggle to leave the KHL and go to the NHL, he may have more to think about now when his current KHL contract expires? There are rumors that Kuznetsov was upset that he wasn't invited to the Capitals development camp back in July.

So I go back to my title question, if you are a current Kuznetsov owner, how confident are you that he will come to the NHL. I am not questioning his skill level, just his head. For the record, I declined my buddies trade proposal. I am not overly confident we will see Kuznetsov in the NHL any time soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

If he does come, we wont see him for 3 years. I think I remember reading he signed a 2 year contract in the KHL.

So, with all things being equal, can you wait 3 years to see him produce? Can you sit on him?
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I acquired him before he signed that 2 year deal in the KHL. I was disapointed that he signed over there but the guys is still young. I believe he still has 1 year left on his contract after this one. I think he crosses the pond after his contract his up. Maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better for that trade.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    If he does come, we wont see him for 3 years. I think I remember reading he signed a 2 year contract in the KHL.

So, with all things being equal, can you wait 3 years to see him produce? Can you sit on him?
    You kind of missed the point of my question. Basically, with all that we have seen in the past couple weeks, with the Russian NHL players considering staying to play in the KHL, and the KHL willing to throw big money at these players, how confident that Kuznetsov will even come to the NHL. Lets be honest, he is if not their biggest, then certainly one of their biggest assets in the league right now. What do you think they will throw at him to keep him there.

That is my real question. Do you really think he will come to the NHL after all that we have seen over the past couple weeks.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I think after he's achieved as much as he can in Russia and made some good money, he may want to test the waters in the NHL. So I think he will eventually come, but for how long? Who knows.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don't think he's coming over. He's already making good coin in Russia. After this contract they'll throw even more money at him. So if his current contract makes an NHL entry level contract look like a joke, how puny will it look compared to Kuz's next KHL contract offer? He's already a rock star there, he already got married there and therefore has a lot of social roots planted already.

There's a reason I got rid of most Russians on my team. The KHL is just too big of a threat with them these days.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    I think after he's achieved as much as he can in Russia and made some good money, he may want to test the waters in the NHL. So I think he will eventually come, but for how long? Who knows.
    I agree with this. Eventually, he's gonna want to prove he can be as good as he is now in a better league. Personally, I give him another shot and after that I'll try to trade him or I'll drop him if need be.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Stud

After all the talk on these boards pumping Kuz at the best thing going outside the NHL I'd just like to bring some attention to the KHL playoff stats. I understand it's a small sample size but.....

9 points in 19 games, minus 2, sixth in scoring on his own team.

To top it off, his stats this year showd no progression from last year.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm only stat hunting here so maybe there's a good explanation for what I'm seeing but the numbers don't scream of a player who's just bursting to take the NHL by storm. Not saying he's not a very talented player here but I'm not convinced he deserves the hype he gets at times.

If you're looking for a Russian prospect who I think could take the NHL by storm check out what his draft eligible teammate is doing in the playoffs Nischushkin has 8 points in 19 games and is a plus 5. Amazing numbers for a kid in the playoffs of a mens league! Give me Nischushkin over Kuz every day of the week.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm not worried. He's going to be a real good player.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...ochi-olympics/
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You kind of missed the point of my question. Basically, with all that we have seen in the past couple weeks, with the Russian NHL players considering staying to play in the KHL, and the KHL willing to throw big money at these players, how confident that Kuznetsov will even come to the NHL. Lets be honest, he is if not their biggest, then certainly one of their biggest assets in the league right now. What do you think they will throw at him to keep him there.

That is my real question. Do you really think he will come to the NHL after all that we have seen over the past couple weeks.
    I would never say NEVER, but I'm not too confident in him coming over any time soon. If I owned him and someone offered a non-russian prospect a tad below him, I'd probably take it.
    Last edited by One87; April 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm a little naive on the issue but..

Do you guys think there willingness to move Forsberg is a sign that they have confidence that Kuz will be over sooner then later?
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm a little naive on the issue but..

Do you guys think there willingness to move Forsberg is a sign that they have confidence that Kuz will be over sooner then later?
    I'm not sure I see how these two things would be related. Washington moved Forsberg because they're trying to win and soon.

Dobber Sports Stud

Precisely on that point, good balance of win-now and they still have prospects in the system that they feel confident will be working there way in soon enough..

I may be way-off but as a GM, I don't think I would trade a good prospect (Forsberg), if I didn't think I had more up-and-commers in the pipeline.
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

Dobber Sports Stud

Precisely on that point, good balance of win-now and they still have prospects in the system that they feel confident will be working there way in soon enough..

I may be way-off but as a GM, I don't think I would trade a good prospect (Forsberg), if I didn't think I had more up-and-commers in the pipeline.
    The Wings and Pens management would disagree with you. Neither one of these perennially competitive franchises have had a blue-chip forward prospect come through in a long time.

Another thing to keep in mind is the age breakdown of the Caps:

Ovi - 27
    Backstrom - 25
    Johansson - 22
    Perreault - 25
    Brower - 27
    Carlsson - 23
    Green - 27
    Alzner - 24

This is not a team that has to worry about how they're going to fill their roster in the coming years. It's a team with many players who should be in or near the prime of their careers. From what I can tell Washington does not have luxury of wondering what might have become of Forsberg. They feel their time to win is now or at least their best shot at winning has to come in the next few years.

Dobber Sports Legend

I think Kuznetsov will eventually come over. Not sure when though, and if he's not happy after he does I could easily see another Alex Radulov situation after a couple of years.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka