Thread: Anyone picking up LaBarbera??

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Anyone picking up LaBarbera??

Dave Tippett system!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In a 15 team league, based on your signature. I would definitely take a flier. Any potential starting goalie in a deep league, especially in Tippett's system is worth a look.
    20 Team $$ Dynasty League (23 man roster, 27 man minor roster) w/Salary Cap at $80M on Fantrax **1 Time Champ

G, A, P, +/-, PP, SHP, Hits, Blocks, Wins, Save%, SV, GAA. *1 goalie starts

C - Couture, Kadri, Anisimov, Dvorak
    LW - Marchand, JT Miller, Grabner, Hartman, Duclair
    RW - Duchene, Oshie, Silfverberg, J.Williams
    D - Ristolainen, S.Jones, Martinez, De Haan, Del Zotto, Chychrun, Carlo
    G - Lundqvist, F.Andersen, Raanta
    Minors - Meier, Barbashev, Barber, F.Perron, Heinen, Cholowski, T.Motte, Quenneville, Beaudin, Novak, Sissons, V.Dunn, Lauzon, Hogberg

Dobber Sports Stud

Not really sure how to make room for him on your team. But not knowing how serious Smith's injury is, replacing Hedberg for LaBarbera, could be well worth the gamble.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thought about it but he got picked up around 2AM, oh well, guess the GM read the thread here =)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I was actually listening to the CBJ/PHX game last night when he went down.
    Mercy, I love the radio feeds from NHL.com.
    I snagged him immediately in my ROTO league with max GP limit where I could use a few extra starts.

So, yes... I grabbed him.
    Eff the "system" though... Phoenix still gets blistered in shots against.
    Goalies do well in Phoenix because nobody cares about hockey there and the goalies can relax - which is when/how a goalie plays best. At least... that's my theory.

Move Tippett & the Coyotes to, say, Quebec City and the goaltenders will fall apart... system or not.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I snagged him immediately in my ROTO league with max GP limit where I could use a few extra starts.

Goalies do well in Phoenix because nobody cares about hockey there and the goalies can relax - which is when/how a goalie plays best. At least... that's my theory.

Move Tippett & the Coyotes to, say, Quebec City and the goaltenders will fall apart... system or not.
    Plus it's not like Labarbs had godly stats last year, in fact they were very un-reflective of Tippett's system. Greiss is still available and he played much better last year.

Administrator

You can allow a lot of shots and still have a great defensive system. Shots from the outside with no traffic are not dangerous.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You can allow a lot of shots and still have a great defensive system. Shots from the outside with no traffic are not dangerous.
    What?

Opposing teams don't just take bad percentage shots from the outside just to take them. That's not anybody's planned system (offensive or defensive).
    It's not like Phoenix forces teams into taking bad shots. This is ridiculous. Are you really saying this?

Administrator

What?

Opposing teams don't just take bad percentage shots from the outside just to take them. That's not anybody's planned system (offensive or defensive).
    It's not like Phoenix forces teams into taking bad shots. This is ridiculous. Are you really saying this?
    I saw the Habs do this to the Capitals in a playoff series. Tons of shots but the majority were perimeter. The one-timers in the slot were covered. Not saying Phoenix does this because I never watch them play but I think it's false to judge shots/game as the only measuring stick.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I saw the Habs do this to the Capitals in a playoff series. Tons of shots but the majority were perimeter. The one-timers in the slot were covered. Not saying Phoenix does this because I never watch them play but I think it's false to judge shots/game as the only measuring stick.
    Shots on goal against is the MAIN measuring stick of a defensive system.
    If you disagree, I challenge you (or anybody) to identify a statistic that is more telling of the quality of a defensive system.
    (Note: Nobody has succeeded in this challenge.)

The best defensive system in the NHL last year was the __________.
    Now, go check that team's shots on goal against for last year.

If you asked me this question last year, I would've said that the teams with the three best defensive systems were ________, _________, and _______.
    And those are indeed the three best teams last year in SOGA.

You may have seen a team taking bad shots on goal once... in a playoff game at some point... but that doesn't necessarily constitute a "system" so much as it represents a frustrated team of frustrated player just taking bad shots. (see Frolik, Michael)

Administrator

Shots on goal against is the MAIN measuring stick of a defensive system.
    If you disagree, I challenge you (or anybody) to identify a statistic that is more telling of the quality of a defensive system.
    (Note: Nobody has succeeded in this challenge.)

The best defensive system in the NHL last year was the __________.
    Now, go check that team's shots on goal against for last year.

If you asked me this question last year, I would've said that the teams with the three best defensive systems were ________, _________, and _______.
    And those are indeed the three best teams last year in SOGA.

You may have seen a team taking bad shots on goal once... in a playoff game at some point... but that doesn't necessarily constitute a "system" so much as it represents a frustrated team of frustrated player just taking bad shots. (see Frolik, Michael)
    I really don't care enough to get into multiple paragraphs about this, but I think it's more subjective than you're making it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I really don't care enough to get into multiple paragraphs about this, but I think it's more subjective than you're making it.
    Agree to disagree.

Dobber Sports Immortal

He's been picked up in all 4 of my leagues....but now I read that Smith traveled with the team so who knows.

Administrator

Agree to disagree.
    I looked real quickly at last year's team shots/game numbers and I just find the numbers are too close. The difference between best and worst is 5.7 per game. If there were teams allowing less than 25 per game and others north of 35 then I would put a lot more weight to this. Plus I see a ton of problems in that list, namely Montreal. I saw about 80 of their games last year and they were not the 12th best defensive system and certainly not on par with Boston.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I looked real quickly at last year's team shots/game numbers and I just find the numbers are too close. The difference between best and worst is 5.7 per game. If there were teams allowing less than 25 per game and others north of 35 then I would put a lot more weight to this. Plus I see a ton of problems in that list, namely Montreal. I saw about 80 of their games last year and they were not the 12th best defensive system and certainly not on par with Boston.

Well... your analysis of these numbers certainly differs from mine.
    And you are entitled to your own interpretation of numbers.

For me, I thought last year's three best defensive systems were STL, NJ, and DET.
    Those correspond to the three best SOGA team numbers.

I put a lot of stock in team SOGA when I invest in goalies. That's just my opinion.
    You are welcome to keep your faith in that Phoenix "system".

Different opinions are OK.