Page 235 of 606 FirstFirst ... 135 185 225 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 245 285 335 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Markov is and always will be more valuable than Gorges. Certainly, on the ice. This is a huge blow to the team. Gio, I expect the players knew was going to move on. He was losing effectiveness and while he may have been a good leader, it could not justify his salary and having to play him top 6 minutes. He just couldn't produce at that rate anymore.. But Gorges, that came out of nowhere to me. Yeah sure his contract was on the books for 4 more years, but at 3.9M, that isn't all that expensive for a reliable top 4 D. Furthermore, not such a huge price to pay for what could easily have been the future captain. Now he's playing for a division rival (oh boy..). That will be very hard to watch. What this tells me is they really like where Beaulieu is, where Tinordi will be going and where Emelin will be on his natural side. He seemed slow as hell to me this year so hopefully a full summer of rehab and playing his good side will help him improve. Otherwise I don't see him becoming a whole lot better than what he already is. He is ok, but he is not a star.

I just hope to good God nobody goes nuts in there and does something stupid like give Subban the C and makes Markov or Plucky the captain (I'd pick Markov, personally) and when the Russky retires, hopefully Subban will have grown up enough to wear it. I think he will, but giving it right now would be a very bad idea.

We also need another winger. I don't know/think Sekac will be the answer and Gallagher, while he is a compete hard, play hard guy, I don't know can have scoring success long-term. He is not a legit top 6 threat night-in, night-out, so we need to improve at wing. We have depth at C, maybe moving Eller makes sense? But I hate losing a C like that when Plekanec is about 2 years away from being ineffective.. I would not want to make that call right now.

Good luck, Bergevin. You still should have handled the Gorges deal better.. But I still trust ya.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jiri Sekak. Any comments about him ? Top 6 next season ?
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    I think that's lofty. Maybe he gets one crack out of camp to make the top 6 but from what I have seen in his progression, seems like it will be Hamilton to start and if he impresses there, then he gets a chance in the top 6 (after the one he will be given in camp). He wouldn't be subject to waivers would he? I seem to remember his deal is one-way...
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Such a mystery. Just about anyone trying to make a projection is probably bullshitting anyway. The only thing I know is that he had one good KHL year and showed some good hands in youtube clips. So he knows how to put up points but I can't really comment on his overall desire, all-around game and how his skill set translates to the NHL. This is why he is not recognized as a top prospect.

The safe bet when dealing with most prospects is to be pessimistic. Most of them fail anyway so you end up being right way more often than wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I think that's lofty. Maybe he gets one crack out of camp to make the top 6 but from what I have seen in his progression, seems like it will be Hamilton to start and if he impresses there, then he gets a chance in the top 6 (after the one he will be given in camp). He wouldn't be subject to waivers would he? I seem to remember his deal is one-way...
    It's a two-year ELC. I don't believe he has to clear waivers at all but could always bolt for the KHL if he gets cut and pouts.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Such a mystery. Just about anyone trying to make a projection is probably bullshitting anyway. The only thing I know is that he had one good KHL year and showed some good hands in youtube clips. So he knows how to put up points but I can't really comment on his overall desire, all-around game and how his skill set translates to the NHL. This is why he is not recognized as a top prospect.

The safe bet when dealing with most prospects is to be pessimistic. Most of them fail anyway so you end up being right way more often than wrong.

It's a two-year ELC. I don't believe he has to clear waivers at all but could always bolt for the KHL if he gets cut and pouts.
    Thx Eric.

I tend to be the same. Very much a "show-me" world with prospects, especially when so many of them fail (and so many are available, really).

I would tend to think this is an easy gamble for Bergevin. Two-way deal for a guy that could make it but if he doesn't won't kill you contract or cap-wise. It's almost like a tryout contract. Low-risk, potential reward. I wouldn't burn a pick on him in any drafts this summer until I saw him at camp, at least.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Thx Eric.

I tend to be the same. Very much a "show-me" world with prospects, especially when so many of them fail (and so many are available, really).

I would tend to think this is an easy gamble for Bergevin. Two-way deal for a guy that could make it but if he doesn't won't kill you contract or cap-wise. It's almost like a tryout contract. Low-risk, potential reward. I wouldn't burn a pick on him in any drafts this summer until I saw him at camp, at least.
    In fantasy leagues it depends. In deeper leagues (I'm in one with 1300+ players owned at a given time) there would be a spot for him on my farm. Not a high spot but I could cut a guy or two to make it happen. There is something here worth gambling on in the right context.

Dobber Sports Master

In fantasy leagues it depends. In deeper leagues (I'm in one with 1300+ players owned at a given time) there would be a spot for him on my farm. Not a high spot but I could cut a guy or two to make it happen. There is something here worth gambling on in the right context.
    Well, he has a contract and was recruited so there is something to that for sure. I'm hoping for something good but will keep my expectations low. The NHL is not the KHL or SEL or whatever other Men's pro league. It takes many quite some time to figure it out. I bet he settles into the top 9 for a stretch but ultimately doesn't develop into a legit force in the top 6.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

Brian Wilde tweeted that a high ranking NHL Insider believes Sekac has 30-goal potential and should crack the Habs lineup.

Then there's guy in the Czech Republic, who compares him to Vladimir Sobotka but with far less offensive upside: http://czechlist.allhabs.net/a-czech...rd-jiri-sekac/

Either way, we beat out 10+ teams for him, and Bergevin's a damn good judge of player value, so it looks good to me. Slot him in on the 3rd line, he seems to have decent size at 6ft plus.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Brian Wilde tweeted that a high ranking NHL Insider believes Sekac has 30-goal potential and should crack the Habs lineup.

Then there's guy in the Czech Republic, who compares him to Vladimir Sobotka but with far less offensive upside: http://czechlist.allhabs.net/a-czech...rd-jiri-sekac/

Either way, we beat out 10+ teams for him, and Bergevin's a damn good judge of player value, so it looks good to me. Slot him in on the 3rd line, he seems to have decent size at 6ft plus.
    Interesting...

That's what I figure. If he has some grit and size that's good news. If he turns out a better Rene Bourque and is a consistent top 9, I'd say that's a win for a signing at such a low cost. I like that Bergevin is able to recruit and you're right, so far he's been bang-on with acquisitions anyway. Wiese and Weaver were hits.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

good piece on Gilbert: http://www.nhl.com/ice/fr/news.htm?id=725779

In French but the gist is he likes the signing big time for hte following reasons:

- Durable top 4 Dman who allows Emelin to move to his natural left side

- Plays big minutes against top opposing lines

- Bad plus/minus attributable to bad goaltending behind him

- Cites Behindthenet.ca statistics demonstrating solid Corsi numbers

He advocates pairing him with Markov, not Emelin as everyone is assuming, because a Markov pariing is more likely to lead to the kind of success Gilbert had with Campbell Soupy, and a Emelin/Subban pairing can play tougher defensive minutes.

Agree with the article, but he finishes, curiously, with conjecture as to Emelin possibly being pushed outside the top 4 due to the emergence of Tinordi or Beaulieu, given his "expensive contract for a defensive defenseman". Not sure about that...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Administrator

good piece on Gilbert: http://www.nhl.com/ice/fr/news.htm?id=725779

In French but the gist is he likes the signing big time for hte following reasons:

- Durable top 4 Dman who allows Emelin to move to his natural left side

- Plays big minutes against top opposing lines

- Bad plus/minus attributable to bad goaltending behind him

- Cites Behindthenet.ca statistics demonstrating solid Corsi numbers

He advocates pairing him with Markov, not Emelin as everyone is assuming, because a Markov pariing is more likely to lead to the kind of success Gilbert had with Campbell Soupy, and a Emelin/Subban pairing can play tougher defensive minutes.

Agree with the article, but he finishes, curiously, with conjecture as to Emelin possibly being pushed outside the top 4 due to the emergence of Tinordi or Beaulieu, given his "expensive contract for a defensive defenseman". Not sure about that...
    I like Gilbert because he's a 20+ minute guy (like Gorges) but he can play PP2. Sure he can't do the PK job like Gorges but PP2 won't look as sad on the point. It was a real problem having Emelin, Bouillon and Gorges take turns back there.

The one part that makes me cringe is a Subban/Emelin pair. Both are good hitters but neither is a great positional player. Both can get caught out of position looking for the big hit and can lose their man. We'll see though as dmen take a long time to develop. It is possible that both can show a whole new dimension to their defensive game.

Dobber Sports Icon

I like Gilbert because he's a 20+ minute guy (like Gorges) but he can play PP2. Sure he can't do the PK job like Gorges but PP2 won't look as sad on the point. It was a real problem having Emelin, Bouillon and Gorges take turns back there.

The one part that makes me cringe is a Subban/Emelin pair. Both are good hitters but neither is a great positional player. Both can get caught out of position looking for the big hit and can lose their man. We'll see though as dmen take a long time to develop. It is possible that both can show a whole new dimension to their defensive game.

We don't need to use Gilbert on the PK, I think Weaver and Emelin can carry that mantle, while Tinordi learns the ropes (and eventually becomes a big time PK guy with his size and stick work).

Administrator

We don't need to use Gilbert on the PK, I think Weaver and Emelin can carry that mantle, while Tinordi learns the ropes (and eventually becomes a big time PK guy with his size and stick work).
    Right now I see the top-six being Subban/Markov/Gilbert/Emelin/Beaulieu/Weaver. I would prefer putting Tinordi in the minors one more year with a Bouillon type signed to play #7 and mostly eat arena food on game nights. So you can have Emelin/Weaver on PK1 and with Gilbert/Markov/Subban rotating on PK2 (depending on how the ice time is distributed).

Dobber Sports Icon

This is pure speculation, but with the Hawks now clearly having to jettison one of Sharp or Hossa, and wiht Bergevin's ties to the Blackhawks organization, I wouldn't be shocked if the Habs made a run at one of Sharp or Hossa. Probably the former since he only has 3 years left at $5.9M.

It wouldn't be possible to do this without another roster move, probably a jettisoning of Bourgue's $3.3M and maybe Moen's $1.8N, since we have $15M in cap space left and need to sign Subban and Eller, which will probably run us $10M - $12M or so.

It woudn't shock me - a Sharp would be a pretty solid fit on a Plekanec line with PA Parenteau on the other wing, and would be a huge plus to the PP1 unit.

Administrator

This is pure speculation, but with the Hawks now clearly having to jettison one of Sharp or Hossa, and wiht Bergevin's ties to the Blackhawks organization, I wouldn't be shocked if the Habs made a run at one of Sharp or Hossa. Probably the former since he only has 3 years left at $5.9M.

It wouldn't be possible to do this without another roster move, probably a jettisoning of Bourgue's $3.3M and maybe Moen's $1.8N, since we have $15M in cap space left and need to sign Subban and Eller, which will probably run us $10M - $12M or so.

It woudn't shock me - a Sharp would be a pretty solid fit on a Plekanec line with PA Parenteau on the other wing, and would be a huge plus to the PP1 unit.
    I was sold the second I read Bourque's name.