Thread: Best Team Money Can Buy - 2013

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Best Team Money Can Buy - 2013

Almost two years ago to the day, I created a thread where I built what I thought was the best team under the cap. I wanted to build a team that was unbeatable, with a focus on the playoffs, so I looked for guys who have proven that they can elevate their game when it counts. Obviously, when you are dealing with a salary cap, you can't just take all the best players and I didn't want to simply choose the best "fantasy" players either. I tried to mix experience with youthfulness with an eye towards real world performance. This year's salary cap is currently $70.2M. I used cap hits for the current year from Cap Geek.com and positions from either NHL.com or Yahoo. Here's what I came up with:

First Line (LW-C-RW)

Jeff Skinner ($1.4M) - Sidney Crosby ($8.7M) - Jordan Eberle ($1,158,333)

Skinner jumped right from junior to the big leagues and promptly put up 63 points in his Calder winning rookie campaign. He suffered a mild sophomore slump and scored 44 points in 64 games, a 56 point pace. As a teenager, Skinner recorded 11 points in 15 World Championship games. In his only junior playoff experience, he scored 20 goals and 33 points in 20 games. He's back on track this season with 18 points in 20 games.

Even with Crosby's history of concussions, uh, concussion-like symptoms, no, I mean the flu, or neck, uh, upper-body injuries, there is no player I want more on my team than this guy. He is the best player in the game bar none and constantly strives to be better. Self-motivated and a proven winner. He has 90 points in 68 career playoff games, a 109 point pace. Once again, Sid leads the NHL in scoring by seven points with 45 points in 27 games (137 point pace).

With his high hockey IQ and legendary clutch performances, Jordan Eberle is a perfect fit with Crosby. Imagine the magic the two of them would make if they ever played on the same team, like maybe in the Olympics? In his final year of junior, he had 50 goals and 106 points in 57 games, was the WHL MVP and Canadian Major Junior Player of the Year. He finished that year with 14 points in 11 AHL games. Last season, Eberle recorded 76 points, including 34 goals in 78 games.

Second Line (LW-C-RW)

Dustin Brown ($3.175M) - Jonathan Toews ($6.3M) - Claude Giroux ($3.75M)

Another team captain and Stanley Cup winner, Brown is often found leading the NHL's hit parade. He was in serious contention for the Conn Smythe trophy during last year's epic playoff run for the Kings. He has averaged 56 points over his last five seasons and 291 hits over the last four. In the seven seasons following his rookie year, Brown has missed only 10 games and considering his style of play, that's a picture of durability.

Captain Serious is a two-way threat and a proven winner. Toews is just 25-years-old and has won gold at the World Junior, World Championship, Olympics and was the Conn Smythe Trophy winner while leading the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup. He has 23 points in 26 games for the otherworldly Hawks this season. Nuff said.

Claude Giroux finished third in scoring last season with 93 points, behind only Evgeni Malkin and Steve Stamkos. In his final year of junior hockey, he was named the QMJHL Playoff MVP for scoring an incredible 51 points in only 19 games. Truly a man amongst boys. He has 55 points in 50 NHL playoff matches. Giroux is having what is considered an off year by some and yet he still has 25 points in 28 games.

Third Line (LW-C-RW)

Max Pacioretty ($1.625M) - Adam Henrique ($854,166) - Ryan Callahan ($4.275M)

Last season, Max Pacioretty broke out in a big way with 33 goals and 65 points. He followed that up with a dominating performance at the World Championship for Team USA by recording 12 points in eight games. He has 22 points in 23 matches this season. It would also make for an interesting dressing room dynamic with Pacioretty having been suspended three games for a hit on Letang as well as suffering a fractured vertebrae on an ugly hit by Chara.

As an NHL rookie, Adam Henrique surprised many with 51 points in 74 games. The previous season, he recorded a nearly identical 50 points in 73 AHL games. In his final year of junior, he had 77 points in 54 games. Henrique scored 47 points in 44 junior playoff games and had 13 points in 24 NHL playoff games helping the Devils advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

The Rangers team captain, Ryan Callahan is all about hustle and effort. It's not that the 2010 Olympic silver medallist doesn't have talent, he scored 29 goals and 54 points in 76 games last season, but he is perennially one of the top hitters in the NHL and his work ethic never wavers. He recorded 10 points in 20 playoff games last year for New York.

Fourth Line (LW-C-RW)

Brendan Gallagher ($870K) - Brad Marchand ($2.5M) - Alexandre Burrows ($2M)

Gallagher is one of the leading candidates to take home the Calder trophy as the league's top rookie. His motor never stops running. He has drawn comparisons to Marchand for his dogged determination and pesky demeanour. In his last two years of junior, Gallagher scored 168 points in 120 games and in his final three junior playoff campaigns, he notched 33 points in 26 games. The rookie has 16 points in 23 games and is making an impact in Montreal.

Marchand plays hard and much bigger than his size. In his last three major junior playoff seasons combined, he scored 78 points in 54 games and in his only AHL playoff season, registered 15 points in 16 games. He surprised everyone by finishing with the third most playoff points (19) for the 2010-11 Stanley Cup winning Bruins. Marchand improved from 41 points to 55 points last season and has upped his game once again this year with 21 points in 23 games to date.

Burrows is a pain in the butt to play against. Over his last four seasons, he has averaged 55 points and a very positive plus-27. He contributed on the scoreboard in Vancouver's run to the 2010-11 Stanley Cup Final with 17 points in 25 games. This guy absolutely thrives in the playoffs.

Defence

First Pairing

Zdeno Chara ($6,916,667) - Erik Karlsson ($6.5M)

Chara is a beast. Even with his monstrous cap hit, there was no way he was going to be left off my team. He has averaged 48 points a season over each of his last five campaigns. Chara is a Norris Trophy winner, led the NHL in plus/minus and won the Messier Leader of the Year award. He was plus-16 during the Bruins Stanley Cup run in 2010-11.

Before Erik Karlsson's untimely injury this season, he was being lauded as the best player in the NHL, let alone defenseman. The slick Swede was on track to pick up his second consecutive Norris trophy before a cruel fate struck him down. He had 10 points in 14 games this season. Playing with Chara would help protect him from too much physical abuse.

Second Pairing

Shea Weber ($7,857,143) - Kris Letang ($3.5M)

I just couldn't leave one of last summer's most sought after free agent off this team. Even though his cap hit is astronomical, he might just be worth every penny. Weber has averaged 48 points over the last four seasons, but it's more than just points, he's simply one of the most dominant defensemen in the game. He was in the running for the Norris trophy again last season, but Erik Karlsson's otherworldly points won over the voters. He contributed offensively with six points in seven games for the Olympic gold medal winning Team Canada in 2010.

Kris Letang currently leads all NHL defensemen by a wide margin (seven points). He has 27 points in 24 games (a 92 point pace over 82 games). Last season, he recorded 42 points in 51 games, a 67 point pace and the year before that he scored 50 points. In his last two year's of junior hockey, he combined for 120 points in 100 games. All those points and he plays with an edge that belies his size.

Third Pairing

P.K. Subban ($2.875M) - Ryan McDonagh ($1.3M)

Brash, bold and not lacking for confidence, Subban plays a physical style that sometimes irritates opponents. In his last junior season, he scored 76 points in 56 games. In his first pro season, he racked up 53 points in 77 AHL games and then followed that up by potting 10 points in seven playoff contests. Subban recorded 38 points as an NHL rookie and 36 points last year. This season, he is taking it to another level with 20 points in 21 matches.

The Rangers hit a home run in getting rid of Scott Gomez's contract and netting a diamond in the rough in Ryan McDonagh to boot. McDonagh is now a gem shining bright on Broadway. Last season, he recorded 32 points, was eighth in the league in blocked shots with 182, made 118 hits and was a plus-25. He also received the fourth most average even-strength ice time in the league, to go along with a ton on short-handed minutes.

Seventh Defenseman

Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($1.75M)

Only 21-years-old, Ekman-Larsson broke out offensively last season with 13 goals and 32 points. In parts of two AHL seasons, OEL has 31 points in 35 games. This season, he has 17 points in 26 games, a 54 point pro-rated pace and receives the 12th most average time on ice in the NHL, just north of 25 minutes per game.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default ...continued...

...ran out of characters in previous post!...

Goaltenders

Jonathan Quick ($1.8M)

Quick was last year's Conn Smythe trophy winner for the Stanley Cup champion Kings, where he had a 1.41 goals-against average and 0.946 save percentage. He was a finalist for the Vezina trophy last season. Quick recorded 35 wins (5th best), 1.95 goals-against average (2nd), 0.929 save percentage (5th) and finished with 10 shutouts (1st).

Robin Lehner ($870K)

Lehner is getting his feet wet with a lengthy injury to Craig Anderson and he looks SENSational! He is one of, if not the top goaltending prospect now that Cory Schneider is the undisputed number one in Vancouver (ouch!). In 2010-11, he was the AHL Playoff MVP. During the lockout this year, he registered a 2.12 goals-against average and 0.938 save percentage in the AHL. Since being recalled, the Lehner has an unspectacular 1-0-4 record, but a miniscule 2.07 goals-against average and stellar 0.944 save percentage.

After all was said and done, I was left with $223,691, but I didn't want to change the make up of my team, so I spent the rest of the money on hookers and blow.

If you could build your own team under the $70.2M cap, how would you do it?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    ...ran out of characters in previous post!...

Goaltenders

Jonathan Quick ($1.8M)

Quick was last year's Conn Smythe trophy winner for the Stanley Cup champion Kings, where he had a 1.41 goals-against average and 0.946 save percentage. He was a finalist for the Vezina trophy last season. Quick recorded 35 wins (5th best), 1.95 goals-against average (2nd), 0.929 save percentage (5th) and finished with 10 shutouts (1st).

Robin Lehner ($870K)

Lehner is getting his feet wet with a lengthy injury to Craig Anderson and he looks SENSational! He is one of, if not the top goaltending prospect now that Cory Schneider is the undisputed number one in Vancouver (ouch!). In 2010-11, he was the AHL Playoff MVP. During the lockout this year, he registered a 2.12 goals-against average and 0.938 save percentage in the AHL. Since being recalled, the Lehner has an unspectacular 1-0-4 record, but a miniscule 2.07 goals-against average and stellar 0.944 save percentage.

After all was said and done, I was left with $223,691, but I didn't want to change the make up of my team, so I spent the rest of the money on hookers and blow.

If you could build your own team under the $70.2M cap, how would you do it?
    I want to be your assistant GM
    1-Year 12-team H2H: G/A/+-/PIM/PPP/SOG/SH%/FW/HIT/BLK GS/W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

C: Giroux, Backstrom, Hanzal, Ribeiro
    LW: Nash, Ladd
    RW: Wheeler, Vrbata, Hornqvist
    D: Keith, Streit, Franson, Gardiner
    G: Lunquist, Mason, Luongo
    IR: Stepan

Dobber Sports Star

Probably wouldn't be my goalie choices, but it's hard to argue with that team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Yardsale View Post
    I want to be your assistant GM
    Excellent Yardsale, I need a good beer capologist. I'm envisioning me as Yoda (about the right height) tutoring a young Skywalker...

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Probably wouldn't be my goalie choices, but it's hard to argue with that team.
    Yeah, I tried to look past Quick's relatively crappy season to date and focus on what he did ALL of last year and throughout the playoffs where he was damn near unbeatable. I'm attributing this slump to an extended Cup hangover, hoping he'll get it back...umm, Quickly?

Also, if you want studs throughout your line up, you have to suffer somewhere, although that's a matter of opinion, with the reigning Conn Smythe winner and runner up to the Vezina AND one of, if not the top goaltending prospect in the league on the roster!

Thanks for your feedback.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

This was awesome Comish!
    I don't think I could improve on this team, it is stellar.

Seriously, I got no qualms (and I always got qualms).
    A+++++, great work!!!
    (Make it a Dobber Article!!)

The Great One

Ok, I'll try to come up with a reasonable team compared to yours. I tried using different players to make it more interesting, but there are a couple guys that I couldn't refuse. Giroux, Chara, and Letang I think are the only ones.

First Line (LW-C-RW)

Landeskog ($3.5M) - Giroux ($3.7M) - P. Kane ($6.3M)

This line has it all. Landeskog will play any role you put him in, and in this case just crash the net, dig in the corners, and keep your stick on the ice for the easy tap ins.

Second Line (LW-C-RW)

Datsyuk ($6.7M) - Tavares ($5.5M) - Bergeron ($5.5M)

Three centers that have all played different positions (except Tavares). Tavares will be able to cheat offensively with Datsyuk and Bergeron on his flanks. This might be my favourite line!

Third Line (LW-C-RW)

Clarkson ($2.6M) - Backes ($4.5M) - Taraenko($1.75M)

These two big body players will make room for the shifty rookie. Every team needs a rookie forward!

Fourth Line (LW-C-RW)

Tootoo ($1.9M) - B. Sutter ($2.1M) - Crombeen ($1M)

We got a little agitator in Tootoo, a highly responsible two way forward in Sutter and Crombeen in case the game needs a scrap! Crombeen leads the NHL in fights!

First Pairing

Chara (6.9M) - Pietrangelo (3.1M)

Enough said.

Second Pairing

Letang (3.5M) - Faulk (.9M)

Faulk is over 22 minutes a night in Carolina for fun, with top PP and SH shifts. He is capable of top line minutes but not on this team! This second pairing is very mobile, and can still play solid D.

Third Pairing

Leddy (1.1M) - Hamilton (1.5M)

Again, mobile with good defensive awareness. I'd be a bit worried about this group, but with a good coach they would be used perfectly (offensive starts)!

Goalies

Lundqvist (6.8M) - Fasth (1M)

Lundqvist is world class, and Fasth is a cheap back up! Plus, their both Swedes. Let them have fun.

$522,501 left over money....And unlike The Comish where they only have a measly 200k for hookers and blow, we decided to only go with 6 defenders and extra money for the party! Woooooo

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks Peng!

Mr Guru - I went into this venture wanting a super stud goalie like Lundqvist or Price (one of my favourites to play better than his numbers have shown), but the fiscal reality of putting together that otherworldly defence (I subscribe to the theory that defence wins championships) made me look for a cheaper tender!

From your team, Landeskog, Tavares, Bergeron, Clarkson, Backes Tootoo, Pietrangelo, Lundqvist and Fasth were all on my short list. I also initially had wanted to include Hartnell and Simmonds for their grit, but it never worked out (it's not me, it's you).

Hmm, you really need a 7th D, Jared Spurgeon will cost you $526,667, Ben Lovejoy $525K, Jordie Benn $525K, Jake Muzzin $577,500, Andrew MacDonald $550K, Deryk Engelland $566,667, Steven Oleksy $541,667 and Paul Postma $550K.

Dobber Sports Ace

Stellar teams both but potential for a lot of locker room drama!

Who would coach such a team?
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Ace

I came up with the following:

First Line (LW-C-RW)

Neal ($5M) - Crosby ($8.7M) - Perry ($5.33M)

Second Line (LW-C-RW)

T.Hall ($3.75M) - Tavares ($5.5M) - Eberle ($1.16M)

Third Line (LW-C-RW)

Lucic ($4.1M) - J.Staal ($4M) - Simmonds ($1.75M)

Fourth Line (LW-C-RW)

Skinner ($1.4M) - Stepan ($875K) - Gallagher ($870M)

Defence

First Pairing

Chara ($6.9M) - Pietrangelo ($3.17M)

Second Pairing

S.Weber ($7.86) - P.K Subban ($2.88M)

Third Pairing

Voynov ($816K) - D.Hamilton ($1.5M)

Goalies

Tuukka Rask ($3.5M)

Jonathan Bernier ($1.25M

My team has toughness all over the roster, nobody will **** with my stars.

Don't have any extra players but at least my guys are waiver-exempt and I could call up some cheap,solid replacements.

Cap= 69.8384965
    Left= .3615035

That's my team, sorry that I didn't leave some kind of analysis, I gotta run.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    so I spent the rest of the money on hookers and blow.
    Well I hope there's room on this team for me aswell.. I am ready to party!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Well I hope there's room on this team for me aswell.. I am ready to party!!
    There will be many Pro scout positions available!

Suvojitde - My choice for Head Coach would be Mike Babcock because he has a history of dealing successfully with superstars and there is never any drama (at least that I recall).

His Asst Coach would be Paul MacLean just because I like his demeanour. Ottawa is so lucky to have him...well, luck is a matter of opinion because Murray CHOSE MacLean, but don't forget Murray also chose Cory Clouston!