Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [2014 NHL Entry Draft] Draft Day Discussion Thread

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [2014 NHL Entry Draft] Draft Day Discussion Thread

Setting this thread up to talk all things draft as we prepare for the 1st Round Friday, June 27th

I will be chiming in throughout the day and I hope some of you can join me.

As always, willing to answer any questions that I can.

If you want more draft coverage, I have posted quite a few pieces over at McKeen's Hockey under the "Youngblood" tab and also at TheScoutingBureau.wordpress.com (including my latest ramblings and top skill lists).

I'm excited for tomorrow!

Edit: Our Mock Draft is done and posted! Give it a look and a comment, I picked for the Bruins and Wild. http://hockey.dobbersports.com/index...ber-mock-draft

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: [2014 NHL Entry Draft] Draft Day Discussion Thread

Anyone care to guess how many trades occur just previous to or during round 1 of the draft? I say "4".

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Genius

I've been kind of surprised no deals have taken place just, yet. I do, however, remember some deals happening late the night before/early morning. Really looking forward to tomorrow. I'd be willing to bet the Sharks make at least a minor trade tomorrow. They have players they want. So we'll see what happens.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ace

Lets say Florida pick at 1st overall, what are the chances they pick anyone other than Ekblad? He's paying $1.50 on sportsbet
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Lets say Florida pick at 1st overall, what are the chances they pick anyone other than Ekblad? He's paying $1.50 on sportsbet
    They have to take Ekblad..............seems like a no brainer......

Dobber Sports Stud

Some team is going to make waves, which one will it be ?

My guess is that the NYI move their pick for an established player
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Anyone know of a good live stream? I know NBC will have it online but that won't work in Canada. And TSN broadcast it last year but it doesn't look like they'll be doing that again.

Dobber Sports Stud

www.nhl.com

is showing its available on NBCSN, TSN, NHLN

I listened to the draft a few years ago via internet radio and it was entertaining
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don't think we'll see many deals among the league's worst teams (picking top 5 or top 10).
    These teams know there is a HUGE prize next summer for being bad again.
    They do NOT want to significantly improve with proven players... if it's only a russian roullette (1 in 6) shot at making the playoffs.
    I think most teams would rather take those same odds on a long-shot at winning next year's lottery.

Thus, teams like FLA, BUF, EDM, CGY... these teams will hold their pick and make it.

I think there are a few interesting teams that could spend wisely in free agency and jump into the playoffs.
    Significantly in the East, where some might perceive that the 7th/8th slots might be available.
    NYI/OTT/TOR/NJ/CAR
    I could see these teams dealing their draft pick (if they have a 5th-15th pick) for a quality veteran.
    These teams are not that far from being competitive with Columbus/Detroit for those last two slots in the East.

Personally, I think DET & CBJ are both rising... not falling... which makes the TOP EIGHT in the East very solid for the foreseeable future.
    For that reason, NYI/CAR should just use their pick and work on their youth.

TOR... they are the wildcard, I don't think their fanbase would allow them to wait.
    They are a fringe playoff team and a cap spending team.

Potential deals I could see:
    1. TOR moving their #8 pick for a veteran C1/C2, if it was available. For example, Spezza. I know this is an in-province rivalry.. but OTT needs to be gutted (IMO). They aren't that far from being really, really bad and could potentially fall down in the BUF/FLA group this season and have a chance at McDavid in the lottery. Toronto is one excellent center from jumping CBJ/DET... IMO.

2. ANA moving their #10 pick for a veteran winger. This team is really close to a shot at the Cup. I think they'd be better served with more offense than youth.

3. DET moving their #15 pick for a veteran defenseman. Detroit's new look young forwards are going to be solid next year... but the defense is still questionable. They need a veteran top 4D man badly.

Those are my three predictions for trade possibilities.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Potential deals I could see:
    1. TOR moving their #8 pick for a veteran C1/C2, if it was available. For example, Spezza. I know this is an in-province rivalry.. but OTT needs to be gutted (IMO). They aren't that far from being really, really bad and could potentially fall down in the BUF/FLA group this season and have a chance at McDavid in the lottery. Toronto is one excellent center from jumping CBJ/DET... IMO.

2. ANA moving their #10 pick for a veteran winger. This team is really close to a shot at the Cup. I think they'd be better served with more offense than youth.

3. DET moving their #15 pick for a veteran defenseman. Detroit's new look young forwards are going to be solid next year... but the defense is still questionable. They need a veteran top 4D man badly.

1. i'd easily give up #8 + for spezza, since chances are he would likely re-sign here too as he's from sauga. not sure if the leafs were on his no trade list, but i doubt murray would trade him there anyways.

2. from what ive read it seems anaheim needs a #2C, so kesler/spezza. they have more than enough wingers, which is why they were able to let winnik go. etem, palmieri etc

3. agreed

Dobber Sports Genius

I think the Jets could be busy today. Of course, fair value has to be there, but I think they'd very much like to do something sizeable today, and potentially later in the free agent market, if they can.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    I've been kind of surprised no deals have taken place just, yet. I do, however, remember some deals happening late the night before/early morning. Really looking forward to tomorrow. I'd be willing to bet the Sharks make at least a minor trade tomorrow. They have players they want. So we'll see what happens.
    Deals probably have happened already. The NHL just wants to announce them at the draft. Last year, the Vancouver/NJ deal went down the day before, but Bettman had them wait until the draft toannounce it. Philly is going to make a splash today.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    1. i'd easily give up #8 + for spezza, since chances are he would likely re-sign here too as he's from sauga. not sure if the leafs were on his no trade list, but i doubt murray would trade him there anyways.

2. from what ive read it seems anaheim needs a #2C, so kesler/spezza. they have more than enough wingers, which is why they were able to let winnik go. etem, palmieri etc

3. agreed
    You don't like Nick Bonino as Anaheim's C2??
    I came to like Bonino very much this past season.
    I don't think they need a C2.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Anyone care to guess how many trades occur just previous to or during round 1 of the draft? I say "4".
    I'll take the under in Day 1. And the over in Day 2
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Ekblad makes too much sense for Florida. They almost have to pick him.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi