Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering taking a shot to get Ray Rice *rep*

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Considering taking a shot to get Ray Rice *rep*

Ok, as mentioned in previous post, I have recently taken over a full keeper football team in a 16 team H2H league. My team (which I will post in a minute) sucks ass. I am 0-9 (I just took the team over last week so I have some work to do) and trying to figure out some moves I may be able to make to improve my squad going forward.

We start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 WR/TE, 2 LB, 2 DL, 2 DB, 2 Dflex, 1 K.

My current roster:

QB: Romo, Palmer, Kolb
    RB: JBell, Hillis, KSmith, Gerhart
    WR: Ogletree, Walter, Henderson, Royal, Holmes
    TE: HMiller, ZMiller
    LB: AldonSmith, Tulloch, PRiley, Orakpo
    DE: Abraham, JJWatt, Umenyiora
    DT: Rubin, Jenkins,
    DB: DManning, Bailey, GWilson, SBrown
    K: Janikowski

League settings as follows:

Passing Every 50 passing yards (PY50) 1, TD Pass (PTD) 6,
    Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2.5, 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2,
    300-399 yard passing game (P300) 3, 400+ yard passing game (P400) 3,
    Sacked (SK) -2

Rushing Every 20 rushing yards (RY20) 1, TD Rush (RTD) 6,
    2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2, 100-199 yard rushing game (RY100) 3,
    200+ yard rushing game (RY200) 6

Receiving Every 20 receiving yards (REY20) 1, Each reception (REC) 0.5, TD Reception (RETD) 6, 2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2,
    100-199 yard receiving game (REY100) 3, 200+ yard receiving game (REY200) 6

Miscellaneous Every 25 kickoff return yards (KR25) 1, Every 25 punt return yards (PR25) 1, Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6, Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6,
    Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6, Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2.5

Kicking Each PAT Made (PAT) 1, Each PAT Missed (PATM) -1,
    FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3, FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 3.5,
    FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 4, FG Missed (0-39 yards) (FGM0) -0.3

Defensive Players Each Sack (SK) 1.5, Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6, Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6, Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6, Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 3, Each Interception (INT) 2.5,
    Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 1, Each Fumble Forced (FF) 1.5, Each Safety (SF) 4.5, Assisted Tackles (TKA) 0.5, Solo Tackles (TKS) 1, Passes Defensed (PD) 1.5

Ok, so now that I have the foundation laid for you all, here comes the question.

I have a guy who is interested in both JJ Watt and Heath Miller. Points wise, heres how they sit right now

JJ Watt - has 69.3 pts on the season, an avg of 8.7 PPG. (hes the top ranked DE/DT in our league)
    H Miller - has 73.5 pts on the season, an avg of 9.2 ppg. (hes the 3rd ranked TE in our league)

Would you offer both up for Ray Rice? Rice's stats look like this on the season - 96.5 pts on the season, an avg of 12.1 ppg (4th ranked RB in our league). Is that what it would take to get him? Should I ask for a pick as well as Rice? I am not sure he would even trade Rice as he doesnt have a lot of depth at RB himself. His RB's on his roster are Rice, MBush, Redman, AGreen, Benson. I figure to get him I am going to have to over pay a bit but is that too much?

Thanks in advance. I will rep those who help me with this choice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Don't play with individual defensive players in my league, but will give it a shot.

Depending on how reliable defensive player stats are and the point level of waiver wire replacements I would definitely trade both Watt and Miller for Rice.

He is a legitimate top 5 RB. With only maybe 10 reliable starters at RB in the whole league that is invaluable.

What are the odds that Miller is a top 3 or even top 10 TE next year? I say very little.

Think with Flaccos struggles, BAL will have to rely on Rice in the future.

How many keepers? I would definitely sweeten pot as need be, and getting picks is a bonus.
    Last edited by cdubb; November 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM. Reason: Kant speel
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Genius

I know it is hard to trade defense for offense but I think you are over paying a little bit here. But like you said you might have to over pay to make the other GM want to trade with you. I would like to see you get something else back in the deal. A bench player or even better yet a pick. If you can make the deal a 2 for 2 deal then I would do it.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Don't play with individual defensive players in my league, but will give it a shot.

Depending on how reliable defensive player stats are and the point level of waiver wire replacements I would definitely trade both Watt and Miller for Rice.

He is a legitimate top 5 RB. With only maybe 10 reliable starters at RB in the whole league that is invaluable.

What are the odds that Miller is a top 3 or even top 10 TE next year? I say very little.

Think with Flaccos struggles, BAL will have to rely on Rice in the future.

How man keepers? I would definitely sweeten pot as need be, and getting picks is a bonus.
    its a full keeper league, we keep everyone year to year.

Thanks for the reply.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by DerekReese View Post
    I know it is hard to trade defense for offense but I think you are over paying a little bit here. But like you said you might have to over pay to make the other GM want to trade with you. I would like to see you get something else back in the deal. A bench player or even better yet a pick. If you can make the deal a 2 for 2 deal then I would do it.
    Thanks Derek. As I say, I am new to the league so I am still learning the ins and outs there. Rep has been awarded to you, and to cdubb for your replies.

JJ Watt must hold some decent value in the league as I have had at least 4 other GMs contact me about his availability. I have made a few offers but no bites yet.

The latest contact asked about both Watt and Miller. He didnt directly come out and say he wanted both but asked about their availability. Looking at my roster, I have some serious holes at Offence. RB being one of the biggest. All my RBs are for the most part, backups. Looking at what is coming out of college for the upcoming draft, there is no Trent Richardson that I can see worthy of a high draft pick (unless others see things that I dont).

My best chance to score a starting RB is going to be through the trade route and I dont have a lot of assets that other GMs want. I have to make sure I get the best bang for the buck.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Yah I mainly don't think Miller is that good. Past 6/7 seasons averaged less than 40 reception yards per game. Previous 2 seasons he had 2 TD per year, and career high is 7 TDs.

He had 4 TDs in the first 3 games of the season when PITs running game sucked and Mendenhall was out.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Padawan

The package of Miller and Watt could fetch you a rb. Probably not Ray Rice though. Your team doesn't look like it will be competing any time soon so you should start rebuilding for the future. Take that package and see if you can grab TRich.

Ray Rice is a legit top 5 RB but he won't be when it's your time to compete.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Also, see if you can grab guys like: kendall hunter, spiller, d wilson, pretty much any ugy that could be their teams #1 next year. It might cost you less than that stud you covet but help you more in the long run

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Also, see if you can grab guys like: kendall hunter, spiller, d wilson, pretty much any ugy that could be their teams #1 next year. It might cost you less than that stud you covet but help you more in the long run
    Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the reply. Rep to you!

So you think Kendall Hunter is worth going after? Didnt Frank Gore just sign a new 3 year deal this off season?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the reply. Rep to you!

So you think Kendall Hunter is worth going after? Didnt Frank Gore just sign a new 3 year deal this off season?

Ya he signed a 4 year deal in 2011. I totally forgot about it. But NFL contracts are really year to year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well I threw the offer out to the Rice owner and was quickly shot down. I then turned to the owner of TRich and threw the same offer to him. Again, was shot down.

Seems like I may have to sell a kidney along with some stud players to acquire a quality starting RB.

I have reached out to the owner of Kendall Hunter and asked about his availability but he has yet to reply.

Dobber Sports Ace

Yah I expected that, Miller has no significant trade value except for this season for a contender.

Maybe target one of the injured RBs like MJD, McFadden, Murray.
    Last edited by cdubb; November 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    Yah I expected that, Miller has no significant trade value except for this season for a contender.

Maybe target one of the injured RBs like MJD, McFadden, Murray.
    Actually, I sent an email to the McFadden owner last night, havent heard back from him yet either.

Thanks for the list though.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Full disclosure: I'm in this league (LM in fact).

Watt is an absolutely stud DL, but there's no way he'll fetch you an equally studly RB or WR. It's all about the value over replacement. A stud like Rice or McCoy can get you between 10-15 points in a given week. The best waiver wire RBs (assuming there isn't an injury that gives a backup an increase in carries) will get you around 4 points per game. Conversely, the top DL (Watt) is at about 8.5 points per game, compared to the waiver wire guys who score about 4. So if I'm trading Rice for Watt (not what you proposed, I know, but it simplifies things), I'm giving up at least 6 points per week at RB for a 4.5 point gain at DL. On top of that, Rice's best week saw him score 19.5 points and Watt's season high is 11 points, which limits his potential week to week impact.

That isn't to say that Watt doesn't have value. You have to play IDPs, and fielding stud defensive players is a sneaky way to stay competitive from week to week, but when it comes to trades they simply aren't valued as much as skill players. Even if you find a guy like myself that does value IDPs, you'll be hard pressed to trade an IDP for an elite skill player regardless of how good that IDP may be.

Also, as the CJ Spiller owner (as well as the owner of two top 5 DLs of my own), don't even bother sending an email . McFadden and Murray seem like solid targets though, and much more in line with what I'd be looking at if I were moving JPP. I think I'd have to package him in with another RB though, something along the lines of JPP/Ballard, to get to a fair jumping off point.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I wouldn't mind D.Murray going forward, especially if they win this week..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..